Smithsonian Museum displays historic Northwest 747 jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2004
Red Planet
Visit site
Smithsonian Museum displays historic Northwest jet

DEC. 10, 2007 – In 1970, Northwest made aviation history by launching service aboard its first 747 jumbo jet – Ship N601US.
Today, Northwest is making history again, with that same aircraft taking on a new role as the centerpiece of the “America by Airâ€￾ exhibit at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, D.C.

Ship N601US was the very first 747 to carry passengers across the Pacific Ocean, thus helping usher in a new era of comfortable, affordable long-distance jet travel.

Getting the nose, cockpit and forward fuselage of a 747 into a building – even one as big as the National Air and Space Museum, with more than 160,000 square feet of exhibition space – has its challenges. The forward fuselage weighs 26,500 pounds and stands roughly four stories to the top of the hump. The museum floor was permanently reinforced to accommodate the weight, and temporary shoring up was needed to support the crane that lifted the pieces into place.

After crossing a 30-foot-high pedestrian bridge, visitors can get a close-up look at the jet cockpit, with its 971 lights, gauges, gadgets and switches, and the view from the upper deck. Along the way, visitors will be “welcomed aboardâ€￾ by two Northwest employees – retired 747 captain Darrel Smith and flight attendant Tami Tucker – in the form of mannequins wearing their uniforms.

“What is truly unique about 601 is that it is the only Boeing 747 to have flown for 30 years in passenger service and all with the same airline – NWA,â€￾ said Matthews, now senior vice president – treasurer. “This national exhibit recognizes the service of all of those employees of Northwest who flew and worked on this proud aircraft for so many years.â€￾

are there any pictures of this bird

If you don't mind 1 I took in June while they were still building the exhibit.....

NW6601_nose.JPG

I look forward to seeing the exhibit........there is NOTHING like being on a 747! Too bad they didn't repaint the a/c in the original NORTHWEST ORIENT scheme. (Always liked that name).

Smithsonian Museum displays historic Northwest jet
“What is truly unique about 601 is that it is the only Boeing 747 to have flown for 30 years in passenger service and all with the same airline – NWA,â€￾ said Matthews, now senior vice president – treasurer. “This national exhibit recognizes the service of all of those employees of Northwest who flew and worked on this proud aircraft for so many years.â€￾
Yup, those were the days....
Long gone.

Excellent thread -- thanks to all who posted!

I did not know about this exhibit and now I can't wait to view the whole thing.

Google that 'N601US' for more great pix.

Yes indeed -- that plane is a marvelous tribute to the people who built her, flew her, maintained her and will now share her.

There was a nice article about it in the NW inflight magazine, I believe is was last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts