Some answers to our Economic problems

What was I said factually inaccurate? Does that make the corruption, innefficencies and budget deficits okay somehow? What was one of the things Cook County did to try and clear the red ink? They raised the sales tax making it the highest in the country. Who do you think that affects the most? Never mind the fact they really did nothing to change the way they do business.

Yes I am aware that Chicago has faired better than other rust belt cities. However that does not change the fact that it still has some serious issues.

I didn't say you were factually inaccurate. Resenting a comment doesn't depend on the truth of the matter asserted. I was just messing with you a bit, bud.

My response was partly tongue-in-cheek; hence the "I resent that comment (kinda)." I also reiterated the same problems you suggested. But in response to your original post I stand by my comment that my great city, despite some problems and a tax rate that some people obviously despise, has solved many problems that have plagued other cities.

The sales tax most likely affects the most those who purchase the most.

Chicago obviously has corruption in the government... at least we are upfront about it. ;) Our city has never looked cleaner on the Northside, perhaps that is due to the corrupt truck-for-hire program.

I didn't say you were factually inaccurate. Resenting a comment doesn't depend on the truth of the matter asserted. I was just messing with you a bit, bud.

My response was partly tongue-in-cheek; hence the "I resent that comment (kinda)." I also reiterated the same problems you suggested. But in response to your original post I stand by my comment that my great city, despite some problems and a tax rate that some people obviously despise, has solved many problems that have plagued other cities.

The sales tax most likely affects the most those who purchase the most.

Chicago obviously has corruption in the government... at least we are upfront about it. ;) Our city has never looked cleaner on the Northside, perhaps that is due to the corrupt truck-for-hire program.

The sales tax affects those that can least afford it.

Not all of Chicago has shared in the prosperity, look at parts of the southside. Theere are areas that never trully recovered when industires like steel pulled out back in the seventies and eighties.

The sales tax affects those that can least afford it.

Not all of Chicago has shared in the prosperity, look at parts of the southside. Theere are areas that never trully recovered when industires like steel pulled out back in the seventies and eighties.

I agree with you on the southside... I am never down there though (except for the Irish Parade, McCormick Place, or Soldier Field). Half those people don't pay taxes... perhaps it is being distributed to reflect that???

If you missed Meet The Press this morning, you missed a good one. Michael Bloomberg, Newt Gingrich, Deval Patrick, Andrea Mitchell all talked about the economy. It was a very interesting discussion. If Newt did not have so much baggage, I think he could be elected President. Bloomberg could, but he does not want the job. It is a thankless, no win job, and he tends to shy away from losers (jobs that is). Of course Mayor of New York cannot be easy.

Here is a link to the broadcast. This morning's show will not be available until 1:00 PM EST (12-27-09).

In this day and age, do you really think Newt's baggage is that bad. Or is it that his baggage gets more press while other's don't.
No, I don't. We we will see. He sure acts like a Presidential candidate.

I like his take on where the Republican Party needs to go to be able win.

Yes, his baggage will get much press when/if he decides to run.

I wish Bloomberg would run.

Bad in terms of people getting hurt and affecting the future of the nation? No. Bad in terms of being a colossal hypocrite? Yes. He is preaching family values for the nation but banging his sectary while his wife is in the hospital dying of cancer. Now the wife may have had it coming (no idea if she was a b1tch or not) and the sec may have been really hot. Thing is, don't tell me not to do something while you are doing it. I do not believe in the do as I say not as I do leadership qualities. It makes me very distrustful of you. He may have been a good leader (I do not agree with quit of a few of his social stance) but his actions as SOH will not go over well in an election cycle. Any opponent is going to use it against him.