Southwest Becomes Largest Airline in The World

SWAMECH

Veteran
Apr 26, 2005
Never thought I would ever see this. Although it will be short lived, we can brag for this year and maybe next as well. But I am almost positive that the industry will shake itself out over time going forward.
Also, a bit surprised where JetBlue and Spirit fell on the list and kind of curious where they may fall after the merger (if approved and happens).

That's really a stretch. "Available Seats at Departure" isn't even a recognized metric except for this Yahoo part-time analyst-writer...

The actual metrics which matter are Available Seat Miles (seats x distance carried) and Revenue per Available Seat Miles (Revenue / (seats x distance carried). And then there's Cost per Available Seat Mile (Expenses / (seats x distance carried))

Reactions: SharoninSAT
That's really a stretch. "Available Seats at Departure" isn't even a recognized metric except for this Yahoo part-time analyst-writer...

The actual metrics which matter are Available Seat Miles (seats x distance carried) and Revenue per Available Seat Miles (Revenue / (seats x distance carried). And then there's Cost per Available Seat Mile (Expenses / (seats x distance carried))
Yea, I know. Like I said itll be short lived after the industry shakes itself out post pandemic and all.

• Haha
Reactions: WeAAsles
Uh, I don't think it happened the first time. Pretty certain Southwest was still #4 in terms of revenue passenger miles.

Read the article E. It says nothing about miles, it's all about the seats offered, so yes it did happen for the first time. And as I stated before, also very short lived.

• Haha
Reactions: WeAAsles
With the least amount of mechanics per aircraft thanks to weak negotiating by SCAMFA!

Yes, yes they do have the least amount of mechanics per aircraft and thats absolutely due to almost 20 years of failed representation by scamfa.