Southwest Ceo Speaks In Cak

crazyincanton

Advanced
Jan 10, 2003
Posted on Sat, Apr. 17, 2004

Southwest CEO talks about success

Executive, speaking in Fairlawn, says employee ownership helps airline stay profitable

By Jim Mackinnon

Beacon Journal business writer

About a quarter of the publicly traded shares in Southwest Airlines, the nation's largest low-cost carrier, are held by the company's 35,000 employees.

That large percentage of employee ownership helps make Texas-based Southwest Airlines the kind of profitable and fun-to-work-for company it is today, James F. Parker, the company's vice chairman and chief executive officer, told an audience of more than 300 people Friday morning in Fairlawn.

Despite its low-fare, high-quality customer service business plan, Southwest has been profitable in each of the past 31 years. That's even as other higher-fare major airlines have been losing money from the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, rising fuel costs and other industry turmoil.

Employee stock ownership and profit sharing play an important part in motivating Southwest employees and in meeting business goals, Parker said. He gave the keynote address at the 18th annual Kent State University-sponsored Ohio Employee Ownership Conference at the Akron Hilton West in Fairlawn. The event is aimed at helping employee-owned businesses throughout the state.

But having employees own significant parts of a business does not ensure success, Parker said.

The most important thing is to have leaders at every level in the company who understand the business's values and mission and who communicate regularly with employees, he said.

``It doesn't mean giving everybody everything they want. It does mean treating everyone with respect,'' Parker said. ``At Southwest Airlines we're all owners and we're all workers.''

It also helps to be creative.

Parker told a story about Southwest's early days, when it was struggling against larger competitors for flights just within Texas. Its only profitable route at the time cost travelers $26 one way, Parker said. Another airline decided to charge $13 for the same route, he said.

Southwest couldn't afford that, but took out newspaper advertisements saying that if people wanted to pay $13 for a flight, they would meet that price, Parker said. But if Southwest passengers paid $26, they'd each get a bottle of whiskey when they landed, he said. That promotion temporarily turned Southwest Airlines into one of the largest liquor distributors in Texas, he noted.

Southwest works to identify future leaders in the company and then provides them with a one-year training program.

The biggest mistake a company can do in troubling times is cut back on training, he said. (He quipped seconds earlier that the biggest mistake for a company is to cut back on travel.)

Southwest pays industry-competitive salaries and compensation, and about 80 percent of its employees belong to unions, Parker said. Members in all but one of Southwest's 11 unions get stock options, he said. The company has been negotiating nearly two years with the flight attendants' union, and a federal mediator has been called in to help.

The company's efficiencies keep it profitable, Parker said.

Southwest did not slash any jobs during the latest recession, Parker said. No one took a pay cut except for himself and the company president in 2002, he added.

The company takes care of its people, and the people take care of the company. ``It's just that simple,'' Parker said.

Take note....35,000 Employee's at WN

We have an issue according to management regarding our employee to Aircraft ratio , yet we've ditched both in large numbers sine 9-11-01 , with that said and noted as fact, could it be how and whom is running the airline that's the real probelm here?

Phantom Fixer said:
Take note....35,000 Employee's at WN

We have an issue according to management regarding our employee to Aircraft ratio , yet we've ditched both in large numbers sine 9-11-01 , with that said and noted as fact, could it be how and whom is running the airline that's the real probelm here?
Yeah, but you gotta remember that currently it takes about three US employees to do the equivalent work of just one Southwest employee.

CEO Parker obviously knows how to run a company. He know the fundamental principle that "you take care of the employees and they take care of the company".

He plans on keeping SW viable and running for years to come. I suspect U (who has the most deplorable track record with their employees) are "priming" the company for a big sell in the very near future.

PineyBob said:
Prove it! bucket mouth!
Uhm....I know it is an insult. I know it is a VERY bad insult. But could some, rational person out there please explain what the heck it means?

El,

Definition: having a very large and wide mouth...better to eat with and shove things in.

Not an insult...take your simple mind out of the gutter. :p

El Gato said:
Yeah, but you gotta remember that currently it takes about three US employees to do the equivalent work of just one Southwest employee.
OK El Gato....and it takes how many more executives at U how much more money to run USAirways into the ground as opposed to what the LCC's are doing with success?

Seems to most reasonable people that the employee's are not the problem..and never have been.

Management is the one that has agreed to the contracts with the various unions..and in some cases all but force fed them to the labor unions , remember parity + 1 ? for example.

Management is also the ones being paid obscene rates Vs. their LCC counterparts.and including Delta's CEO when you toss some of the legacy carriers into the fray.

U's employee's have not been making industry leading sums....and it's been proven time and again where U's laboring ranks are not paid as much as anyone at WN....so what do you do? You draw the LCC comparison when it benefits your arguement...yet all the while your hoping that everyone but yourselves will capitulate for shakey continued futures at HP and Air Tran payrates when that is not whom is eating our lunches.

Don't even form you mouth to speak to us about HP , F9 or B6's payscales , unless liquidation or another merger attempt is really your greatest desire ? as many suspect it is. Many will gladly just let it die , if you elect to do so?

Basically....you are getting a good bargain from your employee's here...it is your ranks that is taking us to the cleaners with NOTHING to show for it in return. We do our jobs , which it to fix and fly planes , along with providing good customer service. We do our jobs and it's a daily proven fact. What can be said of your kind? , unless posturing us for failure or violating another contract is supposed to viewed as positive?

Think about changing your screen name..El Gato's Rosie Red Behind is more precise.

Phantom Fixer said:
U's employee's have not been making industry leading sums....and it's been proven time and again where U's laboring ranks are not paid as much as anyone at WN....so what do you do? You draw the LCC comparison when it benefits your arguement...yet all the while your hoping that everyone but yourselves will capitulate for shakey continued futures at HP and Air Tran payrates when that is not whom is eating our lunches.

Don't even form you mouth to speak to us about HP , F9 or B6's payscales , unless liquidation or another merger attempt is really your greatest desire ? as many suspect it is. Many will gladly just let it die , if you elect to do so?

Basically....you are getting a good bargain from your employee's here...it is your ranks that is taking us to the cleaners with NOTHING to show for it in return. We do our jobs , which it to fix and fly planes , along with providing good customer service. We do our jobs and it's a daily proven fact. What can be said of your kind? , unless posturing us for failure or violating another contract is supposed to viewed as positive?
This is too funny for words.

You think that US employees have been a good bargain? Let me ask you this, when a flight trying to get out of Philly gets delayed by 2 hours for customer service reasons, is that a good bargain, especially when you have charged the folks on board highway robbery fares? A plane can not get loaded without rampers - good luck getting them to move their bodies fast enough to actually get it done. These guys will walk away from a flight without a care, even if it is partially loaded. Don't believe me? Goto PHL during shift change. Listen to the gate agents scream into their radios for someone to do load and pushback. Oh, pushback....only a mechanic can do that(Why?). So you have to wait for a mechanic to get over there to do it. Well, you are almost guaranteed to have a delay thanks to the slothy movements of them. A Southwest flight pushes on time, gives the customer what they want and can afford, and does it day in and out. What do you excel in? You excel in:

Losing money.
Moving slowly to get tasks done.
Whining for more pay and less work.
Blaming Siegel and Co. for all of your ills in life.
Calling Dr. Bronner "Dr. Bonehead" - even though HE is the only reason you have a job right now through his thoughtful decision to invest in this joke of an organization.

Were I to try to start an airline right now, I would NEVER hire someone with your work ethic. You spend more time trying to find ways to criticize others than trying to get actual work done to save what you have. And one more thing: If you don't like what you have, if you don't appriciate what you have, then why don't you just leave? I suspect it may be due to several reasons, you think you somehow "own" this place, you think it would be fun to burn it and watch it go out of business....or maybe it is something far darker - more sinister than that.

I don't know...and you call ME the problem?

El Gato said:
This is too funny for words.

of them. decision to invest in this joke of an organization.
You think that US employees have been a good bargain? Let me ask you this, when a flight trying to get out of Philly gets delayed by 2 hours for customer service reasons, is that a good bargain, especially when you have charged the folks on board highway robbery fares? A plane can not get loaded without rampers - good luck getting them to move their bodies fast enough to actually get it done. These guys will walk away from a flight without a care, even if it is partially loaded. Don't believe me? Goto PHL during shift change.

OK...If PHL is such a basketcase ? Which I happen to agree that it is. This attititude is a direct reflection on the so-called leadership there for allowing it to happen to begin with. Thier are numerous ways to deal with problem employee's..yet making it wholesale punishment for everyone is not the answer. Doing it in such a sweeping manner is entirely counter-productive to creating a positive working enviroment....somewhere else where WN has better leadership in every respect.

Listen to the gate agents scream into their radios for someone to do load and pushback. Oh, pushback....only a mechanic can do that(Why?). So you have to wait for a mechanic to get over there to do it. Well, you are almost guaranteed to have a delay thanks to the slothy movements of them.

Again...if the leadership can't control their people? That is a reflection upon leadership itself , I also note how you can't or won't make a case of system wide problems....if PHL has as many issues as you claim , level your discord upon those whom create or ignore the problems there....Not against the entire organization.

Were I to try to start an airline right now, I would NEVER hire someone with your work ethic. You spend more time trying to find ways to criticize others than trying to get actual work done to save what you have.

First things first Mr. Know-It-All. For one I'm glad you aren't starting an airline..if you are what you project to be at present....it would be a failure in very short order anyway...you obviously do not have the insights or the people skills to handle the task. I reserve my crtiticism for those whom level it at those whom do produce , do show up and can always be counted on regardless of the task at hand. Basically you don't know you butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to my work ethic and eagerness to see this company prosper. I often have to work twice as hard to overcome the artificial obtacles that your ilk have installed.

And one more thing: If you don't like what you have, if you don't appriciate what you have, en wthA Southwest flight pushes on time, gives the customer what they want and can afford, and does it day in and out. What do you excel in? You excel in:

Losing money.
Moving slowly to get tasks done.
Whining for more pay and less work.
Blaming Siegel and Co. for all of your ills in life.
Calling Dr. Bronner "Dr. Bonehead" - even though HE is the only reason you have a job right now through his thoughtful hy don't you just leave? I suspect it may be due to several reasons, you think you somehow "own" this place, you think it would be fun to burn it and watch it go out of business....or maybe it is something far darker - more sinister than that.

I don't know...and you call ME the problem?

Again...you are speaking through your aft port.

I have never ever done anything to aid in this company losing money....yet I have often been a instrument in loss prevention. What have you done?

Moving slowly....what would you know about it? I have more moves than Ex-lax , yet never miss a single day of work. I stand and deliver as requested and advertised...you blanket assumptions of everyone being a problem compounds your stupdity...and promotes the attitudes you are harping against.

Next...I never whine about more pay, If I wanted more I would have chosen another field to begin with...maybe I should have become a Haarvard born criminal too?...regarding wanting less work for more pay , BS..I was happier when we had work galore , but sadly our work is either in the desert as scrap , re-leased to someone interested in running an airline...or getting second hand work in Alabama.

The rest of your mindless ramblings is almost to silly to aknowledge...and yes Dr. Bronner is a "Bonehead" if he thinks Dave Seigel is the man to turn things around here? The Doc has also warned against throwing good money after bad...well we the employee's feel the same way about offering up more of our money to a leadership group that couldn't find the mens room at "The Citadel".

Bronner has elected to vote with his wallet..the customers are voting with theirs...and we as the loyal and dedicated career employee's are going to do so in an alike fashion. Yes we do own the airline in a round about manner , we have stock in it as well as years upon years invested in it....yet we are not willing to destroy our lives for another flow-through CEO and Leadership group that's only interested in maximizing their earnings potential at our expense.

Back