Southwest Pit Flights

USA320Pilot said:
In regard to projected CASM and the current Transformation Plan version, I have seen the confidential and public version, have you?
[post="248934"][/post]​

Your word, unfortunately, does not constitute a source or corroboration. As such the incredible claim that US will have lower costs that Southwest, until proven or corroborated, is bunk.

That said, I believe you also saw the confidential version of the first plan, that led the company back into Chapter 11 inside of 24 months. So, I guess the question for the reader to consider is (beyond the fact that all claims are uncorroborated) is whether or not this plan is any better than the last plan that you and CCY were claiming would work.

And, if your portfolio is what you claim it to be, why spin like crazy and try to influence other union members to take a haircut, in essence to keep your seat? (not that I'm complaining--US buys lots of product from my firm, but someone else will buy it when US goes away).

ClueByFour said:
And, if your portfolio is what you claim it to be, why spin like crazy and try to influence other union members to take a haircut, in essence to keep your seat?
[post="249958"][/post]​
If the money isn't an issue, it can be a mighty fun job, wouldn't you say? ;)

Let me put it this way.....

It once was a mighty fun job irregardless of what the money was - those 24 hour DEN layovers, those chocolate-dipped strawberries from F/C when we (PI) started the west coast flights, those 24 hour LA, San Fran, & Seattle layovers (care to take some fresh salmon home this trip?), the lobster salad in a pita at BOS (my job as FE was to run get one for everyone on the turn), the hotel van driver swinging by the wharf if anyone wanted to take a dozen lobsters home from the BOS layover.

Good times, great co-workers, priceless memories.....

Now it's just a job - and at my age a very tiring one at that.

Jim

Point taken, Jim.

'Course, for those who have long layovers in the city of San Francisco (I hear they still happen), there are still some great opportunities on Polk Street. Lunch at Swan Oyster Depot between Sacramento and California. Dinner at Darbar, between California and Pine. Donuts in the evenings (they're fresh out of the oil, starting about 9:45PM) at Bob's, between Sacramento and Clay. Not to mention the decent sushi in Japantown.

But I digress. (or is it digest?)

EyeInTheSky said:
Yeah, it sucks to be us. :angry:
[post="250025"][/post]​

On the other hand, I always say that getting older is definitely better than the alternative..... :shock:

Jim

If only that was a viable alternative - got a spare rejunivator gun or time machine handy.....

:lol:

Jim

mweiss said:
Point taken, Jim.

'Course, for those who have long layovers in the city of San Francisco (I hear they still happen), there are still some great opportunities on Polk Street. Lunch at Swan Oyster Depot between Sacramento and California. Dinner at Darbar, between California and Pine. Donuts in the evenings (they're fresh out of the oil, starting about 9:45PM) at Bob's, between Sacramento and Clay. Not to mention the decent sushi in Japantown.

But I digress. (or is it digest?)
[post="250024"][/post]​
I always liked a place called Scomas at the wharf and there was a great seafood place up North at Bodega Bay, but I can't recall the name. Stopping at Ghiradellis to pick up some candy was also mandatory and the chocolate decadent sunday was great too. Savy

There's also Great Eastern on Jackson between Grant and Kearny. It has the best Chinese seafood you'll eat anywhere in the country.

Going to Ghirardelli Square isn't quite as much a treat for me, but it's probably because I've spent most of my life on the West Coast, and can easily get their chocolate. It is among the best domestic brands, however...beats Hershey hands down.

savyinvestor said:
I always liked a place called Scomas at the wharf and there was a great seafood place up North at Bodega Bay, but I can't recall the name. Stopping at Ghiradellis to pick up some candy was also mandatory and the chocolate decadent sunday was great too. Savy
[post="250075"][/post]​

Many years ago a longtime Bay area resident recommended I try Scomas. I've always liked the place, but everytime I see it mentioned in city guides the usual refrain is that it is way overpriced. But what isn't overpriced in San Francisco?

FWAAA said:
Many years ago a longtime Bay area resident recommended I try Scomas.  I've always liked the place, but everytime I see it mentioned in city guides the usual refrain is that it is way overpriced.   But what isn't overpriced in San Francisco?
[post="250117"][/post]​
Actually, San Francisco has some of the best value in dining in the country. You just have to know where to go.

Ton Kiang on Geary, near 22nd Ave., has some of the best prices you'll see in quality Dim Sum anywhere. It was rare that I spent more than $15/person there. If you're going for Dim Sum (i.e., lunch time), you can take the 38 Geary bus for $1.25 (ask for a transfer; it'll most likely still be good when you're ready to return).

Darbar, which I mentioned earlier, is well under $10/person for dinner.

Swan Oyster Depot, while not cheap, gives you a lot of seafood for your dollar.

Pancho Villa, on 16th St,. between Mission and Valencia, has great Mexican food in a super-casual environment. You'll leave very full and happy at under $10/person. It's a good choice if you're staying downtown, since it's a quick BART ride from there. $2.50 round trip.

King of Thai Noodle House (downtown on O'Farrell, adjacent to Macy's; also two locations on Clement Street in Inner Richmond) is a fabulous deal as well. Another great restaurant at about $7/person. Their roast duck soup is great, and I'm really fond of their noodle dishes.

If you're closer to Polk Street, you can try Chai-Yo for Thai food. It's on Polk between Pine and Bush. Almost as cheap as King of Thai, but with a bit more of a gourmet flair to the food. Their Golden Bags appetizer (heavy Indian influence) is quite tasty.

Trust me, you can eat very well for very little money in San Francisco, as long as you stay away from the tourist zones.

Darn, you guys are making it almost tempting to bid the Bus so I can get back out to San Fran.......

Jim