Southwest suspends 737 MAX flights until August!

It's gonna get worse guys, IMO, the groundings as I have already said will get longer and more wide spread. Could very well be thru the rest of this year IMO. We will see.

It's gonna get worse guys, IMO, the groundings as I have already said will get longer and more wide spread. Could very well be thru the rest of this year IMO. We will see.
The 787 was 3 months for the batteries , and there were no crashes or fatalities, so probably get them back in August, but they might be limited to the domestic market, just because the FAA recertified it, doesn't mean the rest of the world will at the same time. The government is involved nothing moves quickly.

And here Mr Weaks is confirming my predictions as well, even somewhat the same time period for the rest of this year at least. This is not good news for us as a whole. I really do hope we get these back in the air by 2020. 19 will be a disappointment year.

Southwest Airlines pilots union leader sees more MAX obstacles

Well, maybe I will eat crow, and I hope I do. Looks like SWA is expected to return the Max's to service sooner than I thought. Looks like SWA has now scheduled the Max's for flights on Aug 5 as well as Aug 6th now in hopes of them being returned to service before then, we will see. I hope they are able to do so.

And now Boeing finally admits to software issues publically.

Boeing acknowledges flaw in 737 MAX simulator software

The PR issue with the Max begins now. Southwest must prepare its customers for flying the Max. They (and all other airlines flying the MAX) can not suddenly start flying the MAX again without preparing the public for it. Right now I think even I would think twice about boarding one. There have been too many instances of belated revelations and headlines about the airplane--such as "Boeing knew of the problem a year before the Lion Air crash, but did not inform the FAA until after the Lion Air crash." Admitting the existence of flaws in the simulator software does not tell me the plane is safe to fly. Just as admitting flaws in the airplane's software does not say that the simulator is properly programmed to provide the needed pilot training.

Note to swamt: I trust Southwest to tell the truth about the safety of the airplane and act accordingly. I don't think Southwest would put the airplane back in service unless it knows (to the extent possible) that the plane is safe to fly. I trust the FAA no further than I can throw a MAX 8.

The PR issue with the Max begins now. Southwest must prepare its customers for flying the Max. They (and all other airlines flying the MAX) can not suddenly start flying the MAX again without preparing the public for it. Right now I think even I would think twice about boarding one. There have been too many instances of belated revelations and headlines about the airplane--such as "Boeing knew of the problem a year before the Lion Air crash, but did not inform the FAA until after the Lion Air crash." Admitting the existence of flaws in the simulator software does not tell me the plane is safe to fly. Just as admitting flaws in the airplane's software does not say that the simulator is properly programmed to provide the needed pilot training.

Note to swamt: I trust Southwest to tell the truth about the safety of the airplane and act accordingly. I don't think Southwest would put the airplane back in service unless it knows (to the extent possible) that the plane is safe to fly. I trust the FAA no further than I can throw a MAX 8.
Now I see through September 3rd. If this keeps going, will we convert orders to 737-800s, as a stop gap, and shop for another airplane?

Now I see through September 3rd. If this keeps going, will we convert orders to 737-800s, as a stop gap, and shop for another airplane?

Just read an article that Boeing is looking at changing the name of the Max's. Too much negativity with the brand and model.
Jim, I would trust SWA as well, however, I will not judge at this point (too early IMO) once the final fix is out (on software) I still say they better send a mod out for a second back up on the AOA system. I am still shocked over what Boeing kept quiet this whole time from the FAA.
Is this not the same as if a mechanic just overlooked a safety item and didn't write it up and a failure with that safety item came to happen causing a crash, if all proven, what would happen to that mechanic? Someone will be going bye-bye for a long long time IMO.
The FAA may not have blessed the Max 8 if they were made aware of everything that the Boeing Co. kept secret from them. I am really amazed how much Boeing kept from the FAA. The final outcome will be interesting.

Even if Southwest, American, et al decided to switch to another airplane, there isn't one available that I know of. Airbus' interest right now is in selling the AB321XLR newbie. It's designed to be a single aisle long-range flyer (thus the name XLR--extra long range. You have to get up early to fool me.;)) The capabilities of this airplane are much above what Southwest (and a lot of AA flying) needs or wants. This airplane is supposed to be able to fly non-stop Dallas to mid-continent Europe for goodness sakes. And, there is the issue that if there were a market there, AA would already be flying it, don't you think? I don't think they are making passengers on that route change planes in PHL just to be mean.

We could probably get a good deal on a whole bunch of MD-80s that are currently vacationing in the Arizona desert. :rolleyes:

Reactions: B737 driver
When I spoke before about SWA changing models I was referring to them switching over to the Max 10. More seats, not grounded, and RASM's would increase without adding extra Max 8's. I forget the max seats available on the Max 10 (I think in the 200's +) and we all know SWA would load every seat they possibly can. I can only pray we never buy Airbus.

When I spoke before about SWA changing models I was referring to them switching over to the Max 10. More seats, not grounded, and RASM's would increase without adding extra Max 8's. I forget the max seats available on the Max 10 (I think in the 200's +) and we all know SWA would load every seat they possibly can. I can only pray we never buy Airbus.
Airbus is a throw away airplane, however with the Chem mill skins on the NGs and the Max they will never last as long as the Classics did.

I used to say if it's ain't Boeing, I ain't going. I don't trust them anymore. Boeing should scrap the Max and start over. They pushed thru a new design and a new type and sold airlines that it was still a 737. It's not...it's a different type, and Southwest should consider Airbus.

Reactions: B737 driver
Just read an article that Boeing is looking at changing the name of the Max's. Too much negativity with the brand and model.
Jim, I would trust SWA as well, however, I will not judge at this point (too early IMO) once the final fix is out (on software) I still say they better send a mod out for a second back up on the AOA system. I am still shocked over what Boeing kept quiet this whole time from the FAA.
Is this not the same as if a mechanic just overlooked a safety item and didn't write it up and a failure with that safety item came to happen causing a crash, if all proven, what would happen to that mechanic? Someone will be going bye-bye for a long long time IMO.
The FAA may not have blessed the Max 8 if they were made aware of everything that the Boeing Co. kept secret from them. I am really amazed how much Boeing kept from the FAA. The final outcome will be interesting.

The more I read, the more I am reminded of the Ford Pinto.

I used to say if it's ain't Boeing, I ain't going. I don't trust them anymore. Boeing should scrap the Max and start over. They pushed thru a new design and a new type and sold airlines that it was still a 737. It's not...it's a different type, and Southwest should consider Airbus.
Airbus? Seriously doubt it.

Latest posts