Special Jetwire

Ah the 95 contract, still haven't found one person who voted for it. I was in CLT at the time so I know the outstations didn't vote it in. When I got to DFW in 97 everybody here was complaining about their seniority going down and no one would own up to voting for the mess.

WeAAsles said:
Here's all I could find on it. Not much. I hired on in May of 1995 and thankfully didn't get scewed by it. As a matter of fact my friend warned me it was coming and I needed to get in at the time I did or he would never offer me the job again.

I got lucky too because so many people in LGA were putting in their retirement papers and scramming around that time that they couldn't lay me off or they would have been doomed. It was a hiring tear because of that contract.

And I didn't vote on it because I had no clue being a new hire what any of it meant and the suggestion from my friend was if I didn't understand it, just stay out of it. But lord knows those old timers were tugging on me to vote yes so they could get there blood money.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/08/15/business/american-airlines-in-tentative-union-pact.html  

The article didn't say much, did they offer a good retirement package?

N288AA said:
Ah the 95 contract, still haven't found one person who voted for it. I was in CLT at the time so I know the outstations didn't vote it in. When I got to DFW in 97 everybody here was complaining about their seniority going down and no one would own up to voting for the mess.
N288AA what do you know about what went down at that time? I've never really been able to get a grasp on decent story about it? All I know is that there was a buyout offer and the old timers had stars in their eyes and were bumping into things salivating all over it. 

In hindsight those guys behavior was disgusting.

Worldport said:
The article didn't say much, did they offer a good retirement package?
I "think" don't quote me, it was a 5 and 5 on your pension? 

WeAAsles said:
N288AA what do you know about what went down at that time? I've never really been able to get a grasp on decent story about it? All I know is that there was a buyout offer and the old timers had stars in their eyes and were bumping into things salivating all over it. 

In hindsight those guys behavior was disgusting.
I thought around 97 things were going good in the industry in fact Wolf was buying back US stock man we could have used that money after 9/11 Towards the end of the 90s he was trying to sell us

Worldport said:
I thought around 97 things were going good in the industry in fact Wolf was buying back US stock man we could have used that money after 9/11 Towards the end of the 90s he was trying to sell us
Yea and the passage of that 95 contract again locked people in with no raises for 6 years? Like I said to this day I don't understand what happened? Did the International officers who were sitting at the time pull a fast one? Maybe? There couldn't have been enough old pigs that wanted to get out that could have made it pass IMO and as N288 said, I don't know anyone who admits to voting yes on it either? Don't know what if anything guys would have gained by passing it who were sticking around? A bonus check or something maybe?

Again I didn't even have a smudge on my first safety vest yet at the time.

WeAAsles said:
Yea and the passage of that 95 contract again locked people in with no raises for 6 years? Like I said to this day I don't understand what happened? Did the International officers who were sitting at the time pull a fast one? Maybe? There couldn't have been enough old pigs that wanted to get out that could have made it pass IMO and as N288 said, I don't know anyone who admits to voting yes on it either? Don't know what if anything guys would have gained by passing it who were sticking around? A bonus check or something maybe?

Again I didn't even have a smudge on my first safety vest yet at the time.
We didn't have safety vests back then. I'm not getting a good feeling on the TWU of which I will be a member with the joint contract. sounds to me the union and company were  bit too chummy 

Worldport said:
We didn't have safety vests back then. I'm not getting a good feeling on the TWU of which I will be a member with the joint contract. sounds to me the union and company were  bit too chummy
The operative word you used "were" Looking at the history and things that happened since I hired on I have a hard time arguing that they weren't. I've heard a lot of them had the mentality that they knew what's best for the membership. I can honestly make a list just off the top of my head of things that happened that really didn't make sense.

But I am cautiously optimistic that the new guys that are in now are not like the old guys in some ways? Like I said, it's about the people not the acronym.

But it all flowed whether people want to accept it or not out of this act.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/95th-congress/senate-bill/2493

WeAAsles said:
The operative word you used "were" Looking at the history and things that happened since I hired on I have a hard time arguing that they weren't. I've heard a lot of them had the mentality that they knew what's best for the membership. I can honestly make a list just off the top of my head of things that happened that really didn't make sense.

But I am cautiously optimistic that the new guys that are in now are not like the old guys in some ways? Like I said, it's about the people not the acronym.

But it all flowed whether people want to accept it or not out of this act.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/95th-congress/senate-bill/2493
I was a new hire 18 year old kid when that came about you should have heard the break room wisdom coming from some. It took 37 years for it to mature I still haven't, not mentally anyway

jcw said:
no matter what he does or get paid - folks on here will not be happy until he is gone and company is in liquidation

Wanting a CEO to be paid in only stock is very short sighted and dumb. 

What do you guys honestly think Doug is going to do now, make millions in the short term then leave or make less in the short term and leave with less out of the goodness of his heart? 

topDawg said:
Wanting a CEO to be paid in only stock is very short sighted and dumb. 

What do you guys honestly think Doug is going to do now, make millions in the short term then leave or make less in the short term and leave with less out of the goodness of his heart?
Welcome back. Your intelligence has been greatly missed and needed here.

WeAAsles said:
Welcome back. Your intelligence has been greatly missed and needed here.

I'm in and out. Lot going on right now in life, back in school yet again.