Stopping at a stop Over ? Bad consequences ?

Alex78870

May 10, 2011
Hello,
Sorry in advance for my weak English, I will do my best. I have an important question : I booked a flight Paris - New York woth US Airways (round ticket) with stop overs at Charlotte (it is the same stop for the come and the come back, at Charlotte). During the travel Paris - NY, if I decide to stay in Charlotte during the stop over (and not doing the second part of the flight) or if I simply say that I miss this transition, is there any consequence on the rest of the flight ? Will I be able to do the trip NY- Paris normally after this ? will I have to pay something ? Do I have to let someone know about it ? Thanks a lot. All the Best.

I would have checked the details of the contract if I could understand it... but it is really a too hard english for me, I cannot find this information.

Thanks a lot for this blog and your help !!!

Alex the Frenchy girl :)

( I tried unsuccessfully to call a US airway agency or hotline, and they do not answer my emails... I really tried everything i guess...)

I'll third the answer. If you just don't show up for the CLT-XXX segment the remainder of your segments XXX-CLT-CDG will also be cancelled.

If you really don't want to fly the CLT-XXX-CLT segments you'll be better off cancelling them in advance. I assume that you have a non-refundable ticket, so you will get a voucher for the fare difference between what you fly (CDG-CLT-CDG) and the cost of your ticket. The voucher will be good for a year from your original booking date to use toward the cost of another US Airways ticket. You will be charged a change fee of at least $150 (domestic) and possibly $200 (international) when you buy the new ticket, so the voucher may end up not being worth much when that is factored in.

If you do want to fly the CLT-XXX-CLT segments but want to spend more time in CLT than you are scheduled for, the best thing would be to call US Airways reservations and change the ticket ahead of time. Again you'll have to pay a change fee but you should have no trouble getting a stopover in CLT.

US Airways does have toll-free reservation phone numbers in most European cities (I believe most of Europe calls them free-phone numbers or something like that). I would recommend that you call the number for your country of origination. If you go to the US Airways web site there's a flag in the upper right corner, which has a drop-down list of the countries that the web site is available in the local language.

Jim

I agree.

Don't do it. Normally, if you miss any segment, the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled.

Well said and correct. I've had the balance of my itinerary cancelled when somehow, someway SHARES decided I was a "no show" and I was ON THE FLIGHT. This of course is unknown to me until it comes time to go home a few days later. I remember my "stump the agent" question who swore left, right, up & down that I no showed the initial outbound flight to which I inquired "OK, then exactly HOW did I get here?" as I produced my Boarding Pass from the "no-show" flight. DON'T try to game the system. It doesn't work.

That day was quite interesting.

Well said and correct. I've had the balance of my itinerary cancelled when somehow, someway SHARES decided I was a "no show" and I was ON THE FLIGHT. This of course is unknown to me until it comes time to go home a few days later. I remember my "stump the agent" question who swore left, right, up & down that I no showed the initial outbound flight to which I inquired "OK, then exactly HOW did I get here?" as I produced my Boarding Pass from the "no-show" flight. DON'T try to game the system. It doesn't work.

That day was quite interesting.
Agreed with all of the above answers. You can not just not take some of your segments. Most importantly, it is considered a safety issue. It has not been allowed in years. Now that TSA is around, I am sure that no showing a segment is even more of a "safety" threat.

Now that TSA is around, I am sure that no showing a segment is even more of a "safety" threat.

Without checked bags, most agents are familiar enough with the "hidden city ticketing" to all but laugh when a passenger skips the final segment of an itinerary. In theory, in this day and age of 100% screened checked and carryon bags domestically, it's probably not much of a security issue. But it does definitely cause problems for the passenger who skips one or more segments in the middle of an itinerary and becomes somewhat more of a security issue when international travel is involved.

Jim

Most advice above is correct.
We no longer give money back if your new flight is less than your old flight in most instances. The ticket reissues even if its a nonrefundable ticket and if its a refundable ticket, you would get the money back. Also, its likely that the CDG-CLT ticket will be MORE than the original ticket. This is part of the wonderful world of airline pricing.
You can call to check out the price of the new ticket without having to change it to see if its something you want to do. Dont just "no show" or you will be required to purchase a new ticket for anything else you show up to fly on beacuse your ticket will change to "no value" 24 hours after your flight you dont show up on.

Latest posts

Back