Subic bay going bye bye in 08?

WNjetdoc

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Hey all, just reading on a website about FedEx moving its hub in Subic Bay Philippines to China, they say they have outgrown Subic Bay. That had to have been a sweet duty, is there more to the story? Just curious as I hope to retire to PI in about 5 years and woud've loved to have gotten some sort of a AMT position there? Still going to retire there however.

Thanks!

Hey all, just reading on a website about FedEx moving its hub in Subic Bay Philippines to China, they say they have outgrown Subic Bay. That had to have been a sweet duty, is there more to the story? Just curious as I hope to retire to PI in about 5 years and woud've loved to have gotten some sort of a AMT position there? Still going to retire there however.

Thanks!

yes, there going to pvg(shangai, pudong), sfs will be a small station, not a hub anymore

So they will still have some flights into SFS then? Ok thanks. Do you happen to know if its only locals that work on Subic for FedEx?
apparently a lot of locals already left fedex to work for other airlines, and being replaced by chinese, but not sure all of them left and how many

WNjetdoc,
Hopefully you have a pretty good nest egg since working in Subic you would be paid in RICE as a large part of your salary :lol:

Thanks ced, thats what I kinda heard.

Speedbrake, thats what I was wondering....pay. Were there not AMT's there until recently? Have they all been replaced? The US AMT's that were there got paid FedEx payscale, correct? Since they are going to have a few flights a day are there any FedEx employees that are US and get paid FedEx US scale?

Thanks ced, thats what I kinda heard.

Speedbrake, thats what I was wondering....pay. Were there not AMT's there until recently? Have they all been replaced? The US AMT's that were there got paid FedEx payscale, correct? Since they are going to have a few flights a day are there any FedEx employees that are US and get paid FedEx US scale?

the amt's are hired locally, so a local contract, and way less than a us or european contract. heared something(real or not, i don't know, maybe a rumor) that in pvg, ghangay pudong, the're paid 2500 euros, a lot in china, but not so much for shangai if you want to have a western country life

Guys, Subic will close for sure when the new hub in China open.
SHanghai wont act as a hub but will increase flights.
Pay are not that high as 2500Euros, maybe the new lead position.
Senior only pay likes 1900Euros, but the overtime is great.

Guys, Subic will close for sure when the new hub in China open.
SHanghai wont act as a hub but will increase flights.
Pay are not that high as 2500Euros, maybe the new lead position.
Senior only pay likes 1900Euros, but the overtime is great.

sfs will still have some flights, but very small, and guangzhou will act as a hub, not pudong, sorry for that

sfs will still have some flights, but very small, and guangzhou will act as a hub, not pudong, sorry for that

But as I know, only MNL stays open and some other airlines are considering renting subic from fedex.
thats what i heard.