Sully returns to US as a management pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, you mean the day he pulled into Phoenix, swore an oath to tell the truth and then said that?

Ah So Grasshopper. So indeed, it was not a "press release" that set you off.

Ben Grimm says he would like to "clobber you!" but I told him that is not our style!

RR

Somone should let Lincoln and Ghandi know about that.....

Let's look at that:

Lincoln wrote three autobiographical sketches, the longest of which is about 2 modern pages. The first was 5 lines long, at the request of the guy compiling a dictionary of Congress. The second (at a whopping 4 paragraphs) was done at the request of a friend (who later tried to get it printed). In the letter accompanying the second one, Lincoln wrote "There is not much of it, for the reason, I suppose, that there is not much of me." The third, at about three pages, was requested by a Chicago newspaper to prepare a biographical sketch. He wrote the entire thing in the third person.

Ghandi wrote his such that people would actually understand why he was quiet. The paperback (English translation) runs about 500 pages. That having been said, his voice might have been quiet, but his actions were obviously not.

Sullenberger wrote 350 pages with a co-author. I took one look (right after it happened) at his resume and knew all I needed to know. You can sum it up: right guy at the right time who got to exercise the event he'd been preparing for for most of his adult life (I believe he published a magazine article to this effect sometime this year).

The rest is noise. Any comparison between the former two individuals and the latter insults the former.

Sullenberger wrote 350 pages with a co-author. I took one look (right after it happened) at his resume and knew all I needed to know. You can sum it up: right guy at the right time who got to exercise the event he'd been preparing for for most of his adult life (I believe he published a magazine article to this effect sometime this year).

The rest is noise. Any comparison between the former two individuals and the latter insults the former.

Took one look and knew all I needed to know......always comforting to run into that attitude....didn't see that particuliar stance in Sully's book.

You are correct, right guy.

Now what was your statement again, that quiet guys don't write autobiographies but Ghandi did it to explain his quietness and therefore writing one did not make him unquiet??

Sully's book is a simple, pleasant read about a quiet, methodical life, his family, coworkers and a positive event in an ugly year in the industry. It gives credit to others dead and alive and acknowledges that one continually learns from others.

I suspect that even Lincoln and Ghandi might agree with that.

QUOTE (nic4us @ Sep 28 2009, 08:46 PM)
If memory serves, Air Canada put a 767 successfully into a drag strip after losing both engines to fuel starvation.

Yes, but that one was clearly pilot error.

I think that AC incident was due to confusion with the metric conversion/calculations (gallons vs. liters). Apparently the Canadian Transportation Safety Board noted that AC "... neglected to assign clearly and specifically the responsibility for calculating the fuel load in an abnormal situation" finding that the airline had failed to reallocate the task of checking fuel load that had been the responsibility of the flight engineer on older (three-crew) aircraft.

Ah So Grasshopper. So indeed, it was not a "press release" that set you off.

Actually, it was the press release.

The testimony set many of us off when we saw and heard it in court.

Just so we are clear, I gave credit where credit was due to both Sully and Skiles after the accident. You can go back and find that in the forum. But I also became disenchanted with Sully with the continuing PR stuff after the accident because I felt it crossed a line of what was, and wasn't in good taste. I generally kept that feeling to myself, but his appearance in court with that statement did set me off. Now the company is clearly looking for more PR from this.

I know folks are going to disagree with my assessment. Fair enough. But what happened that day in New York was an example of superb airmanship and should not have become a temple of overdone public relations.

Now the company is clearly looking for more PR from this.

And they are getting it. Last night the local news covered the story, and commented about how this will add to the company's safety.

While I agree that flt 1549 had the right guy in the right place at the right time, I am not so certain Sully is the right guy for a position in this department. This position requires a person who can remain nuetral "even when it is not convenient."

Perhaps with his new found fame a position in Public relations would have better served the company.

In any event, if I encounter Captain Sullenberger, I will welcome him back and save the discussion of his testimony for a future encounter.

I think it's great Capt. Sullenberger is coming back to work. He could have opted out. But he decided to come back and do what he loves best....Fly.

Shoot...his wife probably threw him out of the house and told him to "Go Back To Work!!"
:lol:

If memory serves, Air Canada put a 767 successfully into a drag strip after losing both engines to fuel starvation.

You are absolutely right; I failed to mention the "Gimli Glider" and, for that matter, the Air Transat A330 landing in the Azores (also a fuel starvation incident). I guess think of off airpot landings. That the AC and AirTransat incidents happened within gliding range of a runway makes them no less remarkable. There was also a Aeroflot aircraft (Tu-134?) that ditched Neva River near Leningrad sometime in the '70s IIRC. No casualties in that one, either.

Thanks for correcting the oversight!

Status
Not open for further replies.