Take-off Near Miss At Bos Yesterday?

airlineorphan

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Hi folks,

Been away awhile, off on my new career as a middle school math/science teacher. But my heart is always with all the employees at US Airways.

So I was horrified to see news this morning on the front page of the Boston Globe regarding an investigation into a near miss on take-off by an Aer Lingus A330 holding some 328 souls and a US Airways 737 holding some 103 souls. From what I read, air traffic had apparently placed both a/c on crossing take-off runways and gave each the go-ahead about the same time. The article said the a/c came within "1000 to 200 feet" of each other.

I came onto usaviation.com to see what news there was on this and seeing none, I figured I would ask what people can say on this.

Thank goodness no one was hurt! I imagine the A330 jetwash must've been something (I remember such a jetwash myself....pretty scary!)

Best to all!

In solidarity,
Airlineorphan

The Capt. was flying I believe, the F/O caught the 330 out of the corner of his eye and had the capt. hold it on the ground till through the intersection of 9 and 15R. This flight crew did and outstanding job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Luv said is true. The F/O put the nose back on the runway. Also, the US crew was past v1. In other words, if they tried to stop, they would have ended up in the harbor. It was pretty much a seat of the pants thing. No fancy auto pilots involved here.
More will come out from the NTSB.

Atlantic said:
What Luv said is true. The F/O put the nose back on the runway. Also, the US crew was past v1. In other words, if they tried to stop, they would have ended up in the harbor. It was pretty much a seat of the pants thing. No fancy auto pilots involved here.
More will come out from the NTSB.
[post="278747"][/post]​

Heroic actions, to be sure. I admire my fellow pilots' quick thinking.

In true USAirways style, the reward for a job well-done will be minimum punishment.

nycbusdriver said:
Heroic actions, to be sure. I admire my fellow pilots' quick thinking.

In true USAirways style, the reward for a job well-done will be minimum punishment.
[post="278843"][/post]​
nycbusdriver, Sadly, You are probably Right...

My hat's off to this front end crew.....These guys actually DESERVE a Retention Bonus....Which is why they will NOT get one.......

"BOSTON (AP) — A US Airways jet's co-pilot took evasive action when he realized the plane was on a collision course with another passenger jet at Logan International Airport this month, according to a preliminary report on the "near miss" issued Saturday by the National Transportation Safety Board."

USA Today Article

Jim

Latest posts