Goodbye to my US Airways friends

skyguy

Dec 21, 2002
Since leaving US Airways through the voluntary furlough program (flight attendant) I have always felt a strong sense of loyalty to the airline. I have friends (and a partner) who still work there, so when I joined my new company and began traveling extensively, I always steered myself towards US Airways. While things weren’t always perfect, I stuck with it – knowing the struggles the front line is going through. I’ve since reached Gold – and nearing Platinum. However, lately each flight seems to be getting less acceptable.

So, recently when my company switched travel booking practices, Delta became a preferred airline. There was some hesitation on my part on booking there, since change doesn’t come easy for me. My thoughts are the devil you know may be better than the devil you don’t!

As soon as I booked the flight, I contacted the Delta Sky Miles team, and asked if they would match my US Airways preferred status. They asked that I simply fax my latest statement/DM card. Within a week or so, I checked my Delta Sky Miles account to see that I had indeed be placed in the Gold Medallion status! A few days later a welcome kit arrived not only with a card (the only thing that US Airways gives anymore) but two luggage tags (I found it cool they have a bar code – just in case my bags get separated – they know exactly who’s they are) and four coupons for beer/wine/headsets/etc – should I not be upgraded to first class.

My trip began and ended on Delta Connection. The first amenity that impressed me was that I was upgraded to First Class - - - on an express flight. The 12 first class seats are comparable to the first class seats on any US Airways 737/A319-20-21. Pre-departure beverages were served to every passenger – there were even closets where the F/A were happy to hang my coat. Once the boarding door was close, the F/A greeted the first class cabin in a sincere “I’m very glad to have each of you onboard today. My name is XXX, and you are my guests today. I’ll be treating you as if you were in my own home – and please don’t hesitate to ask if I can do anything to make you more comfortable”.

Once in the air, beverages were again delivered. I almost dropped my glass when she handed it to me - - - because it was an actual glass! Again - - - on an express flight! When the snack basket came around, I was surprised to see that it consisted of fresh fruit and a wide variety of both healthy and not-so-healthy options. In coach, the flight attendants offered passengers a CHOICE of peanuts, pretzels or cookies.

I fully expected this to be an anomaly, and that the next three segments on the trip would be what I have come to believe is the standard inflight experience. However, the remaining 3 segments on this trip were almost exact repeats of what I noted above.

The part that actually made me sad when I arrived back home is that I know that US Airways has the front-line folks that can match and or beat anything I just experienced on Delta. I think back to when Wolf (although not all that labor friendly) was trying to make US Airways the “Carrier of Choice”. We had the tools to do what we needed. Heck, A330 First Class was amazing, and even domestic First Class could hold its own.!

I’ll miss my friends at US Airways – but I’ll probably be on Delta for a while. Hopefully Doug, Scot, Hector and crew can help the employees out and give them the basics before its too late.

Reactions: 1 person
Thank you for a factual comparison of the two airlines, that was not full of emotion or blame.

I was a CP for 9 years and now a gold on US, I am a Diamond on DL and a past Pltm on NW/DL.

All of your comparisons are spot on. It is too bad we both had to switch, but for us it seems for the better.

Since leaving US Airways through the voluntary furlough program (flight attendant) I have always felt a strong sense of loyalty to the airline. I have friends (and a partner) who still work there, so when I joined my new company and began traveling extensively, I always steered myself towards US Airways. While things weren’t always perfect, I stuck with it – knowing the struggles the front line is going through. I’ve since reached Gold – and nearing Platinum. However, lately each flight seems to be getting less acceptable.

So, recently when my company switched travel booking practices, Delta became a preferred airline. There was some hesitation on my part on booking there, since change doesn’t come easy for me. My thoughts are the devil you know may be better than the devil you don’t!

As soon as I booked the flight, I contacted the Delta Sky Miles team, and asked if they would match my US Airways preferred status. They asked that I simply fax my latest statement/DM card. Within a week or so, I checked my Delta Sky Miles account to see that I had indeed be placed in the Gold Medallion status! A few days later a welcome kit arrived not only with a card (the only thing that US Airways gives anymore) but two luggage tags (I found it cool they have a bar code – just in case my bags get separated – they know exactly who’s they are) and four coupons for beer/wine/headsets/etc – should I not be upgraded to first class.

My trip began and ended on Delta Connection. The first amenity that impressed me was that I was upgraded to First Class - - - on an express flight. The 12 first class seats are comparable to the first class seats on any US Airways 737/A319-20-21. Pre-departure beverages were served to every passenger – there were even closets where the F/A were happy to hang my coat. Once the boarding door was close, the F/A greeted the first class cabin in a sincere “I’m very glad to have each of you onboard today. My name is XXX, and you are my guests today. I’ll be treating you as if you were in my own home – and please don’t hesitate to ask if I can do anything to make you more comfortable”.

Once in the air, beverages were again delivered. I almost dropped my glass when she handed it to me - - - because it was an actual glass! Again - - - on an express flight! When the snack basket came around, I was surprised to see that it consisted of fresh fruit and a wide variety of both healthy and not-so-healthy options. In coach, the flight attendants offered passengers a CHOICE of peanuts, pretzels or cookies.

I fully expected this to be an anomaly, and that the next three segments on the trip would be what I have come to believe is the standard inflight experience. However, the remaining 3 segments on this trip were almost exact repeats of what I noted above.

The part that actually made me sad when I arrived back home is that I know that US Airways has the front-line folks that can match and or beat anything I just experienced on Delta. I think back to when Wolf (although not all that labor friendly) was trying to make US Airways the “Carrier of Choice”. We had the tools to do what we needed. Heck, A330 First Class was amazing, and even domestic First Class could hold its own.!

I’ll miss my friends at US Airways – but I’ll probably be on Delta for a while. Hopefully Doug, Scot, Hector and crew can help the employees out and give them the basics before its too late.

Thanks for a great post. It was very informative, and instructive, and devoid of the invective that we often read from former frequent flyers. As the company's fortunes continue to turn around, I hope posts like yours will stimulate some introspection on management's part, and motivate them to once again deliver the award winning product that was executed during the Wolf-Gangwal years. While we all remember that those years were fraught with a lot of stress and distrust--I guess some things never change lol--it was also a time when our domestic and international product not only stood up to those of our competitors but in most cases exceeded them. Hopefully, when our product is improved, your company may book you our way, and if so, I hope to find you pleasantly surprised. Thank you for the critique, and whoever you are we miss you on the line, and good luck in your new endeavor. :rolleyes:

skyguy,

You have described exactly what US should strive to achieve. Very frequent flyers want this kind of an experience in return for loyalty, and right now they're not getting it on US. But it's certainly within the realm of possibility, if US would make it a priority. The majority of frontline folks are fully capable of providing the excellent customer service for which US was once known.

If I were in US management, I would tack a copy of your post on my bulletin board, and consider it a performance goal.

Management knows exactly how their product stacks up against other airlines. They DO NOT care. I know Hector comes from experience and is a classy guy but his hands are tied by management. You hear promise after promise and grand scheme ideas of what Hector wants to do. I'll tell you what, "If management cared you'd HAVE your glassware onboard every aircraft. You'd also HAVE a closet to hang your coat along with a meal/snack in the same hour/mileage window as the competitor. Then DON'T care as they see an @$$ in a seat. They feel for every DM member that leaves they'll create another. It's a shame really. Some will say, "If you don't like the airline/service then stop complaining and leave. Guess what.......people are! ! ! ! I wish things could be different but the airline is PURPOSELY kept "generic" as hopes for a merger are always on managements mind.

The kicker about all this is that I bet if you shopped around the ticket price would be the same or near close to the US fare. Much better value for the money on Delta...sheesh even on the true low cost carriers like Southwest or JetBlue you get more value.

:shock:
I dont see the value in having a glass over a plastic cup. I personally, given the choice would go for the plastic.

Like you I don't much care if the glass is plastic or not. The exception being Envoy to Europe. However when you have competitors who routinely offer MORE for the same or less than a US ticket, then you have to look at the value proposition and decide what works for you as an individual.

Over the years as a CP the ONLY thing that ensured my loyalty to US was the CP desk. For without the "CP Angels" there is literally no value proposition whatsoever. For me, I'm the kind of guy who needs to know what the options are without a lot of horseshite when things go wrong for one reason or another. The CP desk and the US Airways Club reps provided that.

US could have gourmet meals on transcons, good meals on trips over 2 hours and return the Ice Cream Cart, provide the WSJ in F, and Crystal stemware but without the behind the scenes staff at Clubs and CP Desk frankly it wouldn't make any difference.

In 9 years as a CP on US metal I got stuck overnight exactly THREE times!!! WHY? Not because of superior operational acumen I'll tell you that. It was because I had acess to people who knew their assets from third base and frankly used to getting business travelers on their way by hook or by crook.

As long as I had the CP Angels I always felt that the TFB's (Tempe Frat Boys) could never screw the place up to the point where I'd rethink my decision to fly US.

Alas I was wrong and for me I got so frustrated I working on a job that has NO OVERNIGHT TRAVEL. The entire airline industry is a croack of shite at the top! The TFB's are just the cream of the crap that floats in the Airline cesspool. Time was that I could always say that US "sucked less" than the alternatives. Now they suck more & more each day.

If you're curious I had my "Moment of Clarity" on a trip to CA and I'm not sharing details now or in the future. Just suffice it to say that as the events unfolded it became clear that US never has and never will give a crap about customers. So now they have one less. Not that they care.

Latest posts