The AA competition is backing away

Status
Not open for further replies.

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
The big threat of Pan Am and Sprit, coming in with its low fare competion. Is disapearing. Pan Am has shrunk its preasance, and all but shut down its Caribbean network. They are now down to two flights a week to San Juan. So much for the Santo Domingo hub. Will we see Sprit back off its plans as well?

I wouldn't count on seeing Spirit back off. Pan Am III has been very poorly run in many respects. Spirit has had its problems (such as in the customer relations area and not having any gates at their DTW hub until recently), but there is a much more discernable business plan at Spirit than at Pan Am.

Of course, Spirit did have a 40% no-show rate yesterday, though their counter looked positively jammed compared to any other airline at DTW...

I wonder about service. I haven't heard anything good. Have had 3 friends take spirt on flights. All three said never again even with a low fare.

The one that seems to be doing well. Is Sol air. They claim they are booked 100%, through the end of the year.

I've heard *much* better things about their service in the past 1-2 years... there was a point where NY was threatening to kick them out of LGA because of a horrid spell of customer service, but things appear to be much better now. Not that they're great, but I've heard about average for airlines.

[P]Imho, the competition is Continental and Delta. Delta seems to be making a push to the Caribbean and South America.[/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/12/2002 12:04:32 PM FA Mikey wrote:

I wonder about service. I haven't heard anything good. Have had 3 friends take spirt on flights. All three said never again even with a low fare.

The one that seems to be doing well. Is Sol air. They claim they are booked 100%, through the end of the year.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Yes, Sol Air is taking off like a rocket! They are adding a third aircraft and more flights in November. They are also adding service to Dallas with a weekly flight to Roatan (big with tour operators), as well as a Miami-Roatan service to compete with TACA's weekly flight. They supposedly offer excellent service, they are usually on-time, and they offer dirt cheap fares (499$ for business class) with good frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.