The airline of the future: Could it be Continental?

1L1R2L2R

Aug 2, 2005
Travel Insider October 8, 2006

The carrier may seem like nothing special, but it has the right stuff to stay in the black and at the head of the pack.

CONTINENTAL is the Clark Kent of airlines.

Like Superman's alter-ego, it's mild-mannered, even dull. It looks like the other button-down guys.

Yet it pops up seemingly everywhere. And when awards are issued, it darts into a phone booth, dons a cape and zooms into the clouds.

Continental runs the best business class of any U.S. airline on foreign routes and the best premium service on domestic routes, according to a readers survey of more than 1,800 business travelers in this month's Condé Nast Traveler magazine.

Earlier this year, Continental nosed out Delta for best network carrier in an annual poll of 9,334 North American fliers by J.D. Power & Associates, a marketing company in Westlake Village.

On the other hand, it ranked only eighth out of 17 U.S. carriers in this year's Airline Quality Rating, a study by researchers at Wichita State University in Kansas and the University of Nebraska that relies mostly on federal statistics on customer complaints, on-time flights and other factors.

Why should you care?

Because the low-key, Houston-based company may one day shape the way most people fly: pampered in business and first class, with a few key perks in economy. And lots of routes to chose from.

"The real future is with carriers like Continental," said aviation analyst Mike Boyd, who views it as the best of the comprehensive network airlines, which include American, Delta, Northwest and United.

With tentacles that stretch from booming mid-sized U.S. cities to Beijing, these behemoths and their regional partners go where the growth is. That's not on coast-to-coast routes, where low-cost carriers pile on planes and drive down fares, said Boyd, president of the Boyd Group in Evergreen, Colo.

Continental can trace its current success to 1994, when Gordon Bethune rode to the rescue of a company that had stumbled into Chapter 11 bankruptcy twice in one decade.

"Gordon Bethune left a heck of a legacy," Boyd said. "And the current management picked up the ball and ran with it."

In recent years, Continental has avoided bankruptcy and labor strife, the twin plagues of its peers. Like most of them, it's making money again.

Explaining the airline's high rank in surveys, Linda Hirneise, executive director of the travel practice at J.D. Power & Associates, said, "It's not one thing done right. It's many things done right consistently."

Some of those things:

Continental flies nearly everywhere: It's only the fourth largest U.S. airline, and its hubs, well east of the Rockies, aren't glamorous: Houston, Cleveland and Newark, N.J. By passengers flown, it recently ranked seventh at LAX. (United was No. 1.)

But Continental flies to more international destinations than any other U.S. airline, 138 in all, with routes to Asia, Europe, Latin America and elsewhere.

Its customers have access to hundreds more flights through the SkyTeam global airline alliance, which Tim Winship, editor and publisher of the online newsletter FrequentFlier.com, judges "the most robust of the alliances" in U.S.-based carriers, which also include Delta and Northwest.

Travel Insider October 8, 2006

The carrier may seem like nothing special, but it has the right stuff to stay in the black and at the head of the pack.

CONTINENTAL is the Clark Kent of airlines.

Like Superman's alter-ego, it's mild-mannered, even dull. It looks like the other button-down guys.

Yet it pops up seemingly everywhere. And when awards are issued, it darts into a phone booth, dons a cape and zooms into the clouds.

Continental runs the best business class of any U.S. airline on foreign routes and the best premium service on domestic routes, according to a readers survey of more than 1,800 business travelers in this month's Condé Nast Traveler magazine.

Earlier this year, Continental nosed out Delta for best network carrier in an annual poll of 9,334 North American fliers by J.D. Power & Associates, a marketing company in Westlake Village.

On the other hand, it ranked only eighth out of 17 U.S. carriers in this year's Airline Quality Rating, a study by researchers at Wichita State University in Kansas and the University of Nebraska that relies mostly on federal statistics on customer complaints, on-time flights and other factors.

Why should you care?

Because the low-key, Houston-based company may one day shape the way most people fly: pampered in business and first class, with a few key perks in economy. And lots of routes to chose from.

"The real future is with carriers like Continental," said aviation analyst Mike Boyd, who views it as the best of the comprehensive network airlines, which include American, Delta, Northwest and United.

With tentacles that stretch from booming mid-sized U.S. cities to Beijing, these behemoths and their regional partners go where the growth is. That's not on coast-to-coast routes, where low-cost carriers pile on planes and drive down fares, said Boyd, president of the Boyd Group in Evergreen, Colo.

Continental can trace its current success to 1994, when Gordon Bethune rode to the rescue of a company that had stumbled into Chapter 11 bankruptcy twice in one decade.

"Gordon Bethune left a heck of a legacy," Boyd said. "And the current management picked up the ball and ran with it."

In recent years, Continental has avoided bankruptcy and labor strife, the twin plagues of its peers. Like most of them, it's making money again.

Explaining the airline's high rank in surveys, Linda Hirneise, executive director of the travel practice at J.D. Power & Associates, said, "It's not one thing done right. It's many things done right consistently."

Some of those things:
Continental flies nearly everywhere: It's only the fourth largest U.S. airline, and its hubs, well east of the Rockies, aren't glamorous: Houston, Cleveland and Newark, N.J. By passengers flown, it recently ranked seventh at LAX. (United was No. 1.)

But Continental flies to more international destinations than any other U.S. airline, 138 in all, with routes to Asia, Europe, Latin America and elsewhere.

Its customers have access to hundreds more flights through the SkyTeam global airline alliance, which Tim Winship, editor and publisher of the online newsletter FrequentFlier.com, judges "the most robust of the alliances" in U.S.-based carriers, which also include Delta and Northwest.

This article is funny, it makes it seem like CAL is taking a road that no one else is. CAL in no way is different in its onboard service, its alliance connections, its hub strategy, or its international emphasis.

It has quietly avoided BK this time, but this article is full of BS.

Someone please enlighten me to a program that CAL has initiated that is not present at other airlines.

JBG

This article is funny, it makes it seem like CAL is taking a road that no one else is. CAL in no way is different in its onboard service, its alliance connections, its hub strategy, or its international emphasis.

It has quietly avoided BK this time, but this article is full of BS.

Someone please enlighten me to a program that CAL has initiated that is not present at other airlines.

JBG

I'm with you, 'they', CAL management, seem to manage well, from the top down, perhaps 'they', are able to manage to the point of nuance' d perception..

..and resist,

sedentary hubris...

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
bulscu,

YOU realize of course, that THE MOST DANGEROUS thing that you could say, on these boards is..."That YOU'RE RIGHT" !! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

NH/BB's :D

Well, if you got rid of Newark, Houston, their brand new Boeing Fleet or their Management Team, anyone of them, what would you have?

Just as exactly as you say, 'No Big Deal....'

So, I totally agree with your assessment of CAL, with some 'minor' alterations to the status quo.

take care :)

Well, if you got rid of Newark, Houston, their brand new Boeing Fleet or their Management Team, anyone of them, what would you have?

Just as exactly as you say, 'No Big Deal....'

So, I totally agree with your assessment of CAL, with some 'minor' alterations to the status quo.

take care :)
The CO of today isn't really the same one that went thru bk's back in the 90's. That one was based in the West with a much different route structure--a completely different carrier. And yes AA, this is your competition, so don't discount what they have--better international routes, newer Boeing aircraft, and "employee friendly" management. If they end up in bed with UA, NW or DL, they will have a far superior network for at least awhile...

I'll take it one step further.

If CO did'nt have their lone "Gem", EWR, nobody would look at them, in my opinion !!

NH/BB's

What a bunch of sour asses all of you are. EWR, gem, gem my ass. You folks are just jealous. EWR is very stratigic. If your airline choose an airport not as great located, then don't blame us. Blame your own damn airline. It just so happens that we have a hub right by the capitol of the world, jealous motherf :censored: s. And I'll be the first to say that EWR sucks!! It does, the delays are just out of this world, but, NYC is just accross the Hudson. And just so you know our service IS better onboard. Don't be haters. :p

What a bunch of sour asses all of you are. EWR, gem, gem my ass. You folks are just jealous. EWR is very stratigic. If your airline choose an airport not as great located, then don't blame us. Blame your own damn airline. It just so happens that we have a hub right by the capitol of the world, jealous motherf :censored: s. And I'll be the first to say that EWR sucks!! It does, the delays are just out of this world, but, NYC is just accross the Hudson. And just so you know our service IS better onboard. Don't be haters. :p

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"WHOA" DUDE, put the CRACK PIPE DOWN !!!!!!!!!!

Having worked at EWR in '80 with PI, and AA in '99, I'm very familiar with EWR. ...........I was being Sincere about EWR, although your right about the delays !!!!!!!

I think CO is a success story(to a point)

But what SHOULD concern you about CO, is this;
The very REAL possibility of Jet-A going into the "stratosphere" virtually overnight, and given (correctly) CO's Looooong tenticles worldwide, is the fact that CO has for years been living from pay check, to pay check.(Not a lot of "cash-ola" on hand)
Perhaps NOW you may know why AA is sitting on about "6-EXTRA LARGE" !!

Sure , if "petrol" goes to $100 very quickly, other will be folding their tents before CO, BUT THAT does'nt solve the fact that CO is a "little lean in the ol' pocket"

Speaking of fuel, when might you suggest that Kellner consider hedging ???

NH/BB's

The airline of the future will get you to the gate the quickest way possible...land on the nearest taxi-way to sais gate. I just hope there isn't a gate change.

NOW you may know why AA is sitting on about "6-EXTRA LARGE" !!

Speaking of fuel, when might you suggest that Kellner consider hedging ???

NH/BB's
"With U.S. crude oil futures settling at $63.97 per barrel in New York on Wednesday — down more than 18 percent from a high of $78.40 in July — some of the hedges may actually add to some carriers' fuel costs, which should nevertheless decline overall."

"That's the risk you take with hedging," said AMR spokesman Tim Wagner, who said his airline was losing money on its third-quarter hedge. "When it was at $78 dollars per barrel, it looked like you had great deals."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bear,

Actually AA is going to need that "extra 6 big one's". With their fuel unefficient fleet of 80's and their loses on fuel hedges (good move), the 6 big one's could drop quickly.

CO has for years been living from pay check, to pay check.(Not a lot of "cash-ola" on hand)

NH/BB's

It's all relative isn't it. AA has 6 bil on hand, CO ended the 3rd quarter with 2.6 bil on hand. Since AA is almost 3 times the size of CO, it would be safe to say......

" AA has for years been living from pay check, to pay check.(Not a lot of "cash-ola" on hand)"

Borescope,
Though I don't think AA is 3 times as large as CO, your point is well taken.

I'll take my chances ANY DAY, ANY TIME, on a carrier like AA, with 6 "extra large" ($$$) in hand.

Might be why AA has NEVER "took a stroll" down BK lane !!

NH/BB's