Oct 6, 2002
Peggy Sterling
VP-Safety, Security, Environmental
American Airlines

Dear Ms Sterling,

Please explain to me how safety violations routinely occur @ AA, despite
warnings from OSHA??? It's not Earth-shattering news that AA doesn't
respect human life, but the company is incurring a $231,000 fine &
receiving negative publicity in the process.

AA divvies out exec bonuses w/ the precision of a blackjack dealer, but
when it comes to safeguarding its workers AA locks up the checkbook.
Somehow we got our priorities mixed up. Employees are forced to become
Indiana Jones in the Airport of Doom, while valuable assets are diverted
to caress execs.

We've seen time & again, mismanagement adversely affect the bottom line
without any ramifications. Execs invest pension funds into speculative
dot com stocks. Then watch the pension plan plummet & there's no
accountability. AA sells its precious fuel hedges to arch rival
Southwest & there's no accountability. AA is losing 6,000 bags a month @
JFK due to mismanagement & there's no accountability. What are we . . .
a convenient tax write-off for millionaires???

Now we have an impending fine from OSHA. I've seen 1st hand how
management ignores safety & health concerns @ my own station, JFK. It
wasn't until OSHA was notified that AA finally acted on the pigeon
droppings infesting the hangar floor, which wasn't as important as
rewarding execs for losing $800 million in 2005. We also had helicopters
asphyxiating employees, rodent urine odors in the workplace, & a
thunderstorm warning system that doesn't work to name a few.

Any employee reckless enough to cause the loss of $231,000 would be
punished severely. Execs, on the other hand, are the anointed ones &
immune from such discipline. Well, this is 1 shareholder that holds exec
performance directly accountable. Ms Sterling, since you're the VP of
safety, I'm asking for your immediate resignation.

With regret,
X. XXXXXX
mechanic & burdening the sacrifice @ JFK
July 26, 2007 - American Airlines' Chicago operations have been cited for
> several safety violations. The federal Occupational Safety and Health
> Administration, or OSHA, says ground workers in several areas face danger.
> The government says the airline has known about the problems for a long time
> and needs to do something about them.
>
> American Airlines needs to value its employees' safety as much its
> customers, according to OSHA.
>
> "If I was a business person and I had a business and someone told me you are
> coming, I think I would have done a lot more. I was shocked," said Diane
> Turek, OSHA.
>
> Turek says because of American's high injury and illness rates it has been
> on notice since 2004 that it would be the subject of a comprehensive health
> and safety review.
>
> OSHA cites American for 24 failures it cataloged from January 29 to March 23
> of this year, with particular concern for workers falling due to lack of
> protection while adjusting cables atop passenger jetways or atop de-icing
> vehicle booms doing maintenance. OSHA termed these "willful" -- meaning
> American knew of the problems but didn't do anything -- and the airline
> faces $231,000 in fines. It has 15 days to respond to the findings or
> provide evidence that they are doing something to reduce dangers.
>
> "I am surprised that the airlines, with their resources available to them,
> and their knowledge, that we have found these findings," Turek said.
>
> Other findings: that workers up on catwalks in hangars faced falling hazards
> as much as 80 feet due to lack of guardrails; that catwalks and jet bridges
> did not display maximum load warnings; that people involved in refueling
> were unprotected from falling off wings; and that procedures to avoid
> unintentional ignition of equipment were not followed. OSHA characterized
> some of these as "repeat" problems, as American received identical citations
> at other US airports within the last three years.
>
> The airline declined an on-camera interview but said in a statement from its
> corporate headquarters in Dallas that "American takes issue with some of
> OSHA's findings, particularly the classification of one citation as
> willful...We anticipate having discussions with OSHA concerning these and
> other related issues."
>
> The OSHA director also said that next month she expects American to be cited
> for several health-related situations it found in its review. She promised
> they will be significant and likely related to workplace exposure to
> hazardous substances.

Again with this stuff! When are AA employess going to realize they are 'just labor'? What AA categorizes as 'chattel' and they are not about to spend the money for your safety until it causes them a public poke in the nose.

Many of these problems exist at other hubs as well, and where the hell is OSHA? They have all but been sent a gold embossed invitation to come to MIA but they don't come. Some no-account employee will have to get seriously injured or killed first and then, just like ORD, it will still take them three years to get there!

"because of American's high injury and illness rates it has been
on notice since 2004 that it would be the subject of a comprehensive health
and safety review."

Why did OSHA wait so long to do the review? Since 2004 they knew about it but didn't substantially move on anything until 2007? Can anyone blame AA for not jumping on it right away? Why spend the money when you know this is OSHA's history, talk now, then think about it for a few years!

Again with this stuff! When are AA employess going to realize they are 'just labor'? What AA categorizes as 'chattel' and they are not about to spend the money for your safety until it causes them a public poke in the nose.

Many of these problems exist at other hubs as well, and where the hell is OSHA? They have all but been sent a gold embossed invitation to come to MIA but they don't come. Some no-account employee will have to get seriously injured or killed first and then, just like ORD, it will still take them three years to get there!

"because of American's high injury and illness rates it has been
on notice since 2004 that it would be the subject of a comprehensive health
and safety review."

Why did OSHA wait so long to do the review? Since 2004 they knew about it but didn't substantially move on anything until 2007? Can anyone blame AA for not jumping on it right away? Why spend the money when you know this is OSHA's history, talk now, then think about it for a few years!

Opinion - the money was spent, but not on safety.

Remember the Will Rogers quote; "We have the best government money can buy."

It boills down to short-sightedness and greed. On the ramp, is short-sightedness. There are simply more pressing exigencies than something that yields no immediate return. And, as with many human activities, it depends on whose ox is gored. For the most part, the beneficiaries of improved safety procedures are proles, and do not matter.

On Mahogany Row, it is greed. Safety costs money. It is cheaper to just pay the fines than to institute the required safety procedures. Earlier comment about proles applies here, as well.

It boills down to short-sightedness and greed. On the ramp, is short-sightedness. There are simply more pressing exigencies than something that yields no immediate return. And, as with many human activities, it depends on whose ox is gored. For the most part, the beneficiaries of improved safety procedures are proles, and do not matter.

On Mahogany Row, it is greed. Safety costs money. It is cheaper to just pay the fines than to institute the required safety procedures. Earlier comment about proles applies here, as well.

What's with the Thesaurus man? Or is the tone of the thread conducive to talking down to one's peers?

What's with the Thesaurus man? Or is the tone of the thread conducive to talking down to one's peers?

Ummm.........Since we are proofreading today, that isn't really a good usage of conducive

Are you objecting to number of syllables or just unfamiliar words? I apologize for the use of exigencies. My fingers just typed it before I realized what I had done. I actually did have second thoughts about that one. I will edit my post (if I can) to use a shorter, more familiar word.

Any others? Perhaps the biblical reference to whose ox is gored?

But, to respond to your question, (I was undecided as whether to use question or query there, as one had more syllables, but the other was slightly less common) I don't even own a Thesaurus. They are more hindrance than help. I do use, and recommend ieSpell, however. It is particularly good for dyslexics with large fingers and palsy.

A number of people write differently than they speak. (My speech is sometimes not printable here).

By way of apology, I still proofread college papers for two of my sons, so I may sound a little academic. Paying for grad school seems not to be enough. Dear Old Dad gets to help with the homework, too. What fun. But not the math, thank God. To make matters worse, one son is in the Commonwealth, so his spelling and usage is a little different. Don't criticize me, give me some sympathy. :)

BTW Did you know our maintenance manuals are intentionally dumbed-down now? This surely has some relation to AA's lower standards in hiring. I have been told they have an English test, but have seen little evidence. Anyone remember the manual covering the vernier setting of the 747 Krueger flap actuator limits? I am not sure of the criteria, but I did speak with an Air Force tech writer who said their manuals had to be grade school level. I know the Army has comic book format for many manuals.

And as far as "talking down to one's peers", a fair number of the forum members have more education and way higher job status than I. I am also sure their kids are smarter, their dogs mind better, and they have better cars than I. (but no one has a better motorcycle :) ) So, I am not sure just who them peers be.

Wrench, maybe it was the word "proles" that threw him.

LOL.

Lovely word, that. Learned it in 8th grade, I think. Orwell. Has only one syllable, and is quite appropriate (sorry, four syllables) for many of the discussions. I wanted to use a word of fewer syllables, apropos, but I might get beat up for using a word of foreign origin.

What goes around, comes around....ever thing I read here is nothing more than "Deja Vu"
Good Luck..

Another former TWA who wishes ill on AA and its employees. :rolleyes:

Give it a rest both of you. You are both AA and while the arrogance of corporate AA is well known throughout the industry, no one wishes "ill" of the employees.
It does give some a moments "pause" when you see so many of the same "issues" we faced now being the same faced by AA. It is what it is...

StaaightTaalk, you seem to be much more offended by former TWA employees comments than equally harsh nAAtive posts. Why is that? Is there some degree of entitlement that we don't get to share?

AA will come out of this without a scratch.

AA has trained us on fall protection. They have bought all the equipment for fall protection. AA has trained us on hazmat. Most of this has taken place since 2004 in a big way. AA will point out our training records and point the figure at the employees.

Ummm.........Since we are proofreading today, that isn't really a good usage of conducive

BTW Did you know our maintenance manuals are intentionally dumbed-down now? This surely has some relation to AA's lower standards in hiring. I have been told they have an English test, but have seen little evidence. Anyone remember the manual covering the vernier setting of the 747 Krueger flap actuator limits? I am not sure of the criteria, but I did speak with an Air Force tech writer who said their manuals had to be grade school level. I know the Army has comic book format for many manuals.

Do you have any proof that is why aircraft maintenance manuals have been “dumbed-downâ€￾ or are you just assuming? Do you honestly believe that Boeing or Airbus is going to change the way they write their manuals just to suit AA? Or do you think that they are doing to specifically for AA while writing everyone else’s manuals at a college level? If this is the case then you should go to the Customer Manuals section on the M&E site.

You have to remember that Boeing is not just writing manuals for American customers. Most of the aircraft they sell now are sold to countries where English is not the primary language. They have to write the manuals with this in mind.

Another former TWA who wishes ill on AA and its employees. :rolleyes:
No she does not.

All she did was to make an observation of the current situation at AA. If she were to desire you ill will, why would she have wished you Good luck; an obvious expression of hope that AA employees such as you avoid the fate suffered by the TWAers.

Latest posts

Back