The FT/Star Alliance MegaDO-An Amazing Journey

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
This is the first installment of my trip report from attending the recent Star Alliance MegaDO, sponsored by Lufthansa, SAS, United and Star Alliance. More to follow...

PROLOGUE- Continental Newark and Lufthansa JFK (Pt. 1)

Being that the big FlyerTalk and Star Alliance MegaDO was coming up around the same time as our 10th wedding anniversary, I decided to combine events in a way: my wife would join me on the MegaDO and probably be bored out of her mind (she was most of the time), BUT then she'd get 5 days in Italy to celebrate our anniversary. As compromises go, this was a winner!

The Mega DO was organized by members of Flyer Talk, in particular Tommy, Oliver and Reb, who worked very closely with sponsor airlines Lufthansa, Continental, SAS and United to make this a memorable welcome for Continental into the Star Alliance. Kudos to all involved in the planning and execution of this trip!

The trip began on Tuesday with a limo ride to Newark Airport, where we would be meeting Flyer Talkers and a group who had begun the trip in Chicago earlier that morning. My schedule wouldn't permit me to join the Chicago festivities, but we were able to get to Newark right on time (early actually). We met up with FT'ers at the appointed place, and got organized into groups for the tours of Continental facilities at their EWR hub. We got the flight kitchen, which turned out to be a very interesting tour-we saw meals being prepared for loading on many of the flights scheduled to depart that evening, and got a good idea of how complex (yet efficient) meal service can be.

Once the tours were done, we all assembled back at the gathering point, and boarded a group of busses which were chartered to take us from Newark to JFK for our first leg of the trip, Lufthansa Flight 405 to Frankfurt. As we boarded our busses, we were each given a small snack bag, with water, which was a very nice touch. Making our way through NYC traffic was nothing special for me, but it must have amused some of the NY visitors on the trip. In any case we arrived at JFK ahead of schedule, and proceeded to check in lines to check bags and get boarding passes (we had checked in on line, so just needed to check our bags).

Through security, we were all assembled in the Lufthansa Business Lounge in Terminal 1 at JFK, where we were greeted by Lufthansa executives, champagne, and first class cuisine. After the presentations were made some of us were given a tour of the rest of the lounge, which is 3 levels. I must say the lounges were impressive, and typical of Lufthansa's commitment to the frequent business traveler (more about that later).

After the tours, dining and drinking were done, we made our way to the gate for LH 405, which was taking about 90 members of our group to Frankfurt.

LH 405 C 03 November JFK-FRA 747-400

As crowded as the departure gate area had become, which was to be expected when about to board a fully booked 747, it was remarkably organized. As First and Business were called to board, a small line formed as CBP agents checked passports in the jetway, but moments later we were on board, greeted by Lufthansa flight attendants who were impeccably dressed and looked like they just came from a magazine shoot. We crossed over to our seats, in row 14 (second cabin of business class), and settled into our seats. Coats taken, predeparture beverages served, tucked in for what was to be a short 6 hour flight to FRA (1 hour shorter than normal).

Once airborne, cabin service was started, with drinks, appetizers, followed by the main course (I chose a pasta dish which was quite excellent). This was a nice, relaxed service, and drink refills were offered before, during and for a while after the meal service by a VERY attentive cabin staff. Toward the latter part of the meal, the purser came to speak individually with a handful of passengers, and I was included - she introduced herself, asked if I needed anything, and welcomed me personally on board - a very classy touch I might add.

Well the word was that since almost 100 Flyer Talkers were on this flight it would be a party flight, with drinking and partying going on throughout. A funny thing happened about an hour after the meal service, though--lights went out, the cabin got quiet, and almost all the lie flat business seats were extended to flat or near flat position, and almost everyone fell asleep...as it should be on a Transatlantic flight....

We awakened about an hour before planned landing, and were served a breakfast, followed by coffee, juice and breads. As we descended into Frankfurt, we tried to get organized and find out where we were to meet after checking in to the hotel. There was a full schedule for the rest of the day, and our rest time was reduced due to a schedule change.

NEXT- FRANKFURT DAY 1 and CHARTER!

Why not just post a link to a blog instead of an overdone post here??

'arrived...early' and 'small snack bag with water' are news??

must be the competition with flyertalk and the self-important ffffocusers which earns special privelege.

Why not just post a link to a blog instead of an overdone post here??

'arrived...early' and 'small snack bag with water' are news??

must be the competition with flyertalk and the self-important ffffocusers which earns special privelege.
<_< :lol: more self-aggrandizing, over indulged MALE businessmen FF travellers. FATconstantly always whining and unhappy. POOR BABIES! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: