The Great Kerry Usairways Debate

sentrido

Veteran
Jan 8, 2004
Here are the articles related to the "If USAirways should go under, so be it" issue.

KERRY OPPOSES UNITED, US AIRWAYS MERGER

Author(s):    MATTHEW BRELIS Date: December 8, 2000 Page: D2 Section: Business
Saying the proposed merger between United Airlines, the world's largest carrier, and US Airways Inc., the dominant airline in the Northeast, would reduce competition and increase fares, US Senator John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) yesterday opposed the deal.

Kerry, a member of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, wrote to the Department of Justice and Department of Transportation earlier this week expressing his concerns saying the merger would result in a consolidation of the airline industry from six major players to three, and that would restrict new entrants and reduce "further the chances that new competition would be successful. In his 2 1/2-page letter, Kerry noted there is "speculation" that US Airways, the nation's sixth largest airline, needs the merger to survive. Kerry said that US Airways executives never suggested that in testimony before the commerce committee, but if the airline has to fail, so be it.

"Even in the worst-case scenario, if US Airways were to shut its doors permanently, the country would indeed be left with five instead of six major carriers," he wrote. "But, unlike the situation that would arise if United and US Airways were to merge, a US Airways' departure from the marketplace likely would not trigger additional mergers."

Instead, Kerry suggested, the airline's routes, slots, gates, and assets would be divided up or sold to a new entrant "spurring more rather than less competition in the airline industry.

And

CONCERNS ABOUT AIRLINES MERGER
Date: December 15, 2000 Page: A26 Section: Letters
IN RESPONSE TO YOUR DEC. 8 NEWS STORY ("KERRY OPPOSES UNITED, US AIRWAYS MERGER," BUSINESS):

As someone who hears from angry constituents fed up with the major airlines, I am troubled by the inadequate competition and poor customer service in the airline industry.

Senator John McCain and I have pushed the airline industry to improve customer service, and it is with consumers in mind that I wrote my letter to the departments of Justice and Transportation opposing the US Airways-United merger. This merger would only exacerbate the problems facing today's airline passengers and leave consumers with fewer choices, higher fares, and even worse customer service. I am also very concerned that this merger would hurt workers in Massachusetts and across the country. I felt the Globe story left the impression that I would be indifferent if US Airways were to shut its doors, causing terrible hardship for thousands of employees who depend on the airline for a paycheck, pensions, and health care. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I have had several conversations with workers at US Airways, and I fully appreciate their concern over the loss of jobs and benefits should US Airways ultimately shut down. As federal regulators review the merger, the fate of US Airways workers must be the primary concern, and I will make sure that their voices are heard in Washington.

I still fear that this merger, and airline mergers that will surely follow, will result in loss of jobs and less power at the bargaining table for workers. Though workers at US Airways have been guaranteed that their jobs are secure for the next two years, there is no guarantee beyond that time, and airlines are notorious for laying off workers to cut costs. The new merged airline could well feel pressure to reward shareholders at the expense of its workers.

Senator JOHN F. KERRY

Washington, D.C.

I would love to hear all your opinions about this.

it sounded like he tried to understand what the employees were saying, but why did he not tell congress and the house about the outrageous large pay bonuses to the three clowns who left and now the 7.5 mill on top of that to two more clowns who left in APRIL? I am surprised that no one brought up while at the same time the airline is asking for a third round about of cuts while the higher ups are getting richer by the minute day and year.

If you will note the date, December 8, 2000 was well before the Wolf/ Gangwal departures with money filled sacks. Dave left this year, also with some pretty nice traveling dough.

I'm not fond of Kerry for numerous reasons, but he's a better choice than Bush, IMHO.

In this election, I think a vote for Kerry is more likely a vote against Bush/Cheney rather than a strong endorsement of Kerry/Edwards.

Dea

Dea Certe,

Agree with you 100%. At this point I would vote for one eyed one legged hound dog, as opposed to the current administration. I consider myself a Bush-Democrat. If it was not for Bush, I would not be a Democrat.

magsau said:
Dea Certe,

Agree with you 100%. At this point I would vote for one eyed one legged hound dog, as opposed to the current administration. I consider myself a Bush-Democrat. If it was not for Bush, I would not be a Democrat.
Hell, I would vote for a:

ONE EYED, ONE HORNED, FLYING PURPLE PEOPLE EATER

Sounds to me like he put some real thought into the issue. I think he's pretty much on target with most of it. What was on the horizon at the time? A merger between US and UA, a merger between AA and TW, and then it would have been hard to argue against a merger among two or all of NW/CO/DL.

It's hard to argue even in hindsight that this would be a good result for much of anyone. Look at what AA did to the TW employees. There were certainly going to be many unhappy campers in the US/UA merger as well (except for those US A320 pilots that were going to immediately end up in the left seat on the 744 :rolleyes: ).

And let's not be confused about Kerry's comment. He wasn't saying that he didn't care if US went out of business. He said that he thought the merger was a bad idea, and that if the lack of a merger means that US stops flying, it's still better than effectively causing US, TW, and two of NW/CO/DL to stop flying.

I posted this on Just Converation. I can not stant to look at Kerry or even hear his voice. He is an idiot and the worst Dem elective the Dem's have ever picked. John Edwards would have been a better pick on the outset. Now, Edwards is prostituting himself to be a VP along with long jaw Kerry. This sickens me.

I was a Dem from the day I could vote. Turned Rep after 9-11. I am totally so confused now, that it is really hard for me to watch ANYTHING that has to do with politics. After 9-11, I was glued to all news, now I could really care. It makes no difference. Bush has really disappointed me, and Kerry is an arrogant idot, much like Gore.

What is this country going to become.....

Kerry/Edwards....come on Clinton....get out the SAX....same ole...same ole :angry: <_< <_<

KT,

I'm not trying to slam you, but I find it painful to listen to Bush stammer and stutter his way through a speech, mangling the English language while grimacing the entire time. Not pretty at all.

Kerry sounds a bit patronizing and comes off rather cold.

Dick Cheney scares the daylights out of me. He just looks sinister, even if you don't know his history. He reminds me a vicious high school principal.

Ewards comes across to me as warm and enthusiastic. He's nice looking but not in a vapid Dan Quayle-kind of way.

As my Dad used to say, "You figure out who's going to do the least harm to you and there's your vote!"

Who will do the least damage to the airline industry? Who will do the least harm to our economy? If fewer people have jobs, fewer will pay taxes or spend money. If the jobs are paying lower wages, doesn't that lower the income from taxes?

Since many airline employees are nearing retirement, we need to think about who's going to help us save our pensions. The airlines are like the rest of the country: there's a big bubble of the population hitting retirement age. Who's going to be more likely to preserve my retirement benefits and health coverage?

These are just my thoughts and concerns.

Dea

I was prepared to hold my nose and vote for Kerry. And I'm still pissed the IAM, well after Kerry had his say about U going under AND while Edwards was a viable alternative, endorsed Kerry.

I am a huge Edwards fan. I have had the pleasure of dealing with him, and I guess I feel about him like my parents felt about Kennedy. I figure he has about as much foreign policy experience as Bush did starting out, and I like that he was a successful lawyer. Face it, we Americans are a contentious lot. How else are we to resolve our disputes - gunfights at the OK corral? While corporate America will take your a$$ to court in a heartbeat to enforce a contract, they run like he// from being accountable themselves. So it suits me fine Edwards the lawyer has called them to task.

The "two-Americas" rings true. I'm not interested in equal results, but I insist upon an equity of opportunity -what you make of it is up to you.

So having said that, I applaude Kerry for his choice. It was evident to me Kerry was uncomfortable with Edwards, so it speaks well for him to have made the difficult, pragmatic choice.

John, the check is in the mail (another reason darwinian Repubs want the working man to work for chump change- to silence our political voice).

Mr Flip Flop?

Sorry guys, I'm probably going to get jammed but I CANNOT stand Kerry..

Too much of a phony..

Diogenes,

You know the "Two Americas" is from a Langston Hughes poem, right? Can you find it? Very powerful piece, as I remember, from a brilliant poet.

Where's our resident researchers, AirlineOrphan and Light Years?

I'd like to hear from Dilligas on this one too.

Dea

I am getting senile. The poem I was thinking of isn't titled "Two Americas" but "Let America Be America" by Langston Hughes.

Let America be America again.
Let it be the dream it used to be.
Let it be the pioneer on the plain
Seeking a home where he himself is free.

(America never was America to me.)

Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed--
Let it be that great strong land of love
Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme
That any man be crushed by one above.

(It never was America to me.)

O, let my land be a land where Liberty
Is crowned with no false patriotic wreath,
But opportunity is real, and life is free,
Equality is in the air we breathe.

(There's never been equality for me,
Nor freedom in this "homeland of the free.")

Say, who are you that mumbles in the dark?
And who are you that draws your veil across the stars?

I am the poor white, fooled and pushed apart,
I am the Negro bearing slavery's scars.
I am the red man driven from the land,
I am the immigrant clutching the hope I seek--
And finding only the same old stupid plan
Of dog eat dog, of mighty crush the weak.

I am the young man, full of strength and hope,
Tangled in that ancient endless chain
Of profit, power, gain, of grab the land!
Of grab the gold! Of grab the ways of satisfying need!
Of work the men! Of take the pay!
Of owning everything for one's own greed!

I am the farmer, bondsman to the soil.
I am the worker sold to the machine.
I am the Negro, servant to you all.
I am the people, humble, hungry, mean--
Hungry yet today despite the dream.
Beaten yet today--O, Pioneers!
I am the man who never got ahead,
The poorest worker bartered through the years.

Yet I'm the one who dreamt our basic dream
In the Old World while still a serf of kings,
Who dreamt a dream so strong, so brave, so true,
That even yet its mighty daring sings
In every brick and stone, in every furrow turned
That's made America the land it has become.
O, I'm the man who sailed those early seas
In search of what I meant to be my home--
For I'm the one who left dark Ireland's shore,
And Poland's plain, and England's grassy lea,
And torn from Black Africa's strand I came
To build a "homeland of the free."

The free?

Who said the free? Not me?
Surely not me? The millions on relief today?
The millions shot down when we strike?
The millions who have nothing for our pay?
For all the dreams we've dreamed
And all the songs we've sung
And all the hopes we've held
And all the flags we've hung,
The millions who have nothing for our pay--
Except the dream that's almost dead today.

O, let America be America again--
The land that never has been yet--
And yet must be--the land where every man is free.
The land that's mine--the poor man's, Indian's, Negro's, ME--
Who made America,
Whose sweat and blood, whose faith and pain,
Whose hand at the foundry, whose plow in the rain,
Must bring back our mighty dream again.

Sure, call me any ugly name you choose--
The steel of freedom does not stain.
From those who live like leeches on the people's lives,
We must take back our land again,
America!

O, yes,
I say it plain,
America never was America to me,
And yet I swear this oath--
America will be!

Out of the rack and ruin of our gangster death,
The rape and rot of graft, and stealth, and lies,
We, the people, must redeem
The land, the mines, the plants, the rivers.
The mountains and the endless plain--
All, all the stretch of these great green states--
And make America again!

I was a Republican until last year. I considered myself a moderate or even liberal Republican, but I discovered there was no room for me in the Republican party as I knew it (with the sole exception of being able to vote for McCain).

I don't see any scenario in which I will vote for Bush.

Think this thought for a second. Ifyou are upset at Bush now, what do you think he will try and do once he never needs to stand for another election?

I am a McCain fan and a moderate. I supported Edwards in the primary, but I can hold my nose and accept Kerry.

I think Bush 43 is headed to be one of the 5 worst Presidents of all time (Grant, Harding, Fillmore, Buchanan would be the others).

I think it is going to be eye-opening for Americans (ear-opening) when our country is booed all during the Olympics next month in Greece. O'Reilly wants to add more countries to his boycott list. America is the greatest country of all time, we have done more for civilization than all other countries combined. However, we are now seen as the world's bullies and I believe the world is going to let us know what they think about us.

Dea Certe,

Excellent poem.

The yearning for Camelot, milleniums old, beating in the heart of men.

That is why I will take my nephew and niece to see Arthur. To see the old legend, told anew.

To understand that, though we do battle with ego, fear, greed and deceit (within ourselves, foremost) every day, there can be Rule of Law, and comity amongst men. And that ideas are worth fighting, and dying for.

Latest posts

Back