The Objective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2009
In July I will mark 8 years away from the airline - a separation begun voluntarily and formalized more than 2 years ago in a seedy Charlotte hotel with some hundreds of my former compatriots, who themselves decided to move on.

Amazing to me is the fact I don't really miss the reality of what I left in 2002, but often the idea of what I left; briefly glimpsed, held and gone like grabbing at water and squeezing too hard until all was dried and gone.

Forgive me, I will translate. The idea was the airline my father flew for for some 40 years. The reality was the airline I flew for 14 years. It took me about ten years to realize (and to convince him) that though the name was the same, they were populated by different people with different ideas about things. When he started flying (as a cabin attendant) in 1951 flying DC-3's, there was no such thing as a union, a duty rig, a pension -- or a merger policy. There was just the guy you were flying with, the machine and the next stop. The rest of the stuff came by fits and starts after terrible battles, spectacular and horrendous accidents and a lot of worry. A whole lot. When he retired, a year before I was hired, my father had flown as copilot for the original Stinson mail pilots and eventually ushered in the jet age, glass cockpits and trans Atlantic flights - without a single day's furlough. He saw mergers and acrimony, sure, but the tide was always rising.

I got hired with the 4th generation - a generation that saw me sitting in the engineer's seat on my first unsupervised trip while the captain and F/O compared their Rolex watches and talked blithely of vacation homes and stock portfolios. As a B-scaler just happy to afford my own single-bedroom apartment in Moon, I tried to reconcile that image with the curling black and white photo of my old man saluting the station agent in Harrisburg from the left seat window of an old Douglas with a Winston hanging from his lip.

I had trouble with it but when you're 23 and generally stupid, you often don't know why you're troubled. Like I said, it took about ten years, a furlough or two and an education in the more unsavory aspects of human nature to figure out why I couldn't stand half of the people I worked with and most of the job itself.

9/11 clinched it for me - damned if I was going to go through THAT (the union wrangling, the lies, the obfuscating and the eventual, horrible furlough) again. Damn glad I did, because they retired my jersey about 6 months AFTER I had left as a captain! And then the merger with AWA a few years later. Nightmare.

I feel for you guys. But it aint no bed of roses out here in the world right now, either. The world of no unions; the great meritocracy of corporate flying. But it's okay and the money's decent, if not the rest. But the idea I had growing up is still there and I can't help it, when I tune in to see the latest version of the Endless Fight, to see the 5th Generation pissing their future (and their career) away in bitterness and vitriol. It makes me pat myself on the back - and you know, that in itself ticks me off. Corporate guy patting himself on the back because the airline guys have it tough. Pathetic of me. You guys have the potential to have the best damn job in the world and spend ALL of your time and resources kicking each other to win a point -- while you get older, and apparently more stupid.

As far as who is right - both. Yeah, that's right, BOTH. So how do you reconcile that? Beats me, but damn if what you're doing (and have been doing) is working. Seriously.

Peace.

Your words, poingnant and true, brought tears to my eyes.

I'm sure there is a career for you as a writer if your corporate gig wears you down.

Best -

You guys have the potential to have the best damn job in the world and spend ALL of your time and resources kicking each other to win a point -- while you get older, and apparently more stupid.

As far as who is right - both. Yeah, that's right, BOTH. So how do you reconcile that? Beats me, but damn if what you're doing (and have been doing) is working. Seriously.

Peace.

Nice story...

Respectfully, It is WAY more than just to "win a point".

What would our society be like without law?

What would it be like if any agreement could be disregarded or ignored?

The tyranny of the majority over a minority will never work in any civilization.

This mess is totally the fault of the east pilots with some blame going to the company for playing their little financial game with the infighting.

How do you reconcile?

You live up to your agreements!

Take a moment and read the post again.

He's got a point and it needs to sink in both sides. If you argue that then you obviously missed what he, and a great many of us are with him on this point, was trying to say.

We get the reasoning behind it... deaf blind children in the lost city of Atlantis get the reasons behind why both sides are fighting to the death... that's not what this post is about.

So don't ruin it by posting the 1,060,302,203rd post justifying either side and let it sink in.

Take a moment and read the post again.

He's got a point and it needs to sink in both sides. If you argue that then you obviously missed what he, and a great many of us are with him on this point, was trying to say.

We get the reasoning behind it... deaf blind children in the lost city of Atlantis get the reasons behind why both sides are fighting to the death... that's not what this post is about.

So don't ruin it by posting the 1,060,302,203rd post justifying either side and let it sink in.

Amen!

You made the right decision, so don't worry, be happy.
My father started at Allegheny in 1966 and I remember going to the Christmas parties in hanger 3 in PIT.
The people, the attitude, and the environment back then gave me 'the dream' of working for that company.
That airline is obviously gone.
Count your blessings and don't second guess yourself because you did the right thing.
Cheers.

I too was furloughed after 14 years at USAir. Even though I spent most of my career on reserve, in both seats, it was still a decent job. I could, however see it deteriorating through the years, The poor management decisions, the constant finger pointing of everyone at each other, so many missed opportunities to make a good airline even better. I am now retired from LCC, and have moved on to the airline we used to call the enemy, Southwest. It's not perfect here, but everyone seems to be on the same page, focusing on the things required to moved our company forward. We have good management, good contracts for all the employees and a highly productive work force. All the things LCC should and could have. LCC still owns the east coast but that could change if Parker doesn't get his act together. Just my opinion. Best of luck to all of my former fellow coworkers.

All the things LCC should and could have. LCC still owns the east coast but that could change if Parker doesn't get his act together. Just my opinion. Best of luck to all of my former fellow coworkers.

Since 1989, USAir(ways) has suffered from either the lack of upper management which was really interested in operating a great airline, or upper management lacking the skills to do so (or both.)

During that period upper management has consistently been plagued by either personal greed or total cluelessness (or both.)

SWA, on the other hand, has been run by real airline managers who realized that the best way to consistently and abundantly fill their pockets (and those of their employees and stockholders) is to enthusiastically use their talents to run the airline, rather than attack their customers and demean their employees.

Oddly, LCC stockholders never seem to clue into this fact and "throw da [LCC] bums out."

Best post ever.

Yes, I thought it was a very nice post also.
I will save it with this one which I thought may be the Best Post Ever:

"Behold the US Pilots Labor Discussion thread: many years it's grown and grown, with thousands of posts from many a professional and educated man (and woman, presumably), many a learned and well-spoken man, many well-witted and long-lived man; verily, and they cry "TRUTH!", for it is truth, they believe, that sets their wills, truth, they believe must be clung to as do their fortunes not cling to it as well?

But lo, Fate is cruel, and most so to the wise and well-witted, and Fate laughs as they each hold their truth to their hearts all the while beseeching others to seek it, behold, Fate laughs as she has made each man's truth invisible to his neighbor, and his neighbor's truth invisible to him. And there was much cackling and seething, shrewd-toungedness and rudeness, they cursed one another and gnashed their teeth and pulled at one another's hair.

Ah, but who to divine the true truth? Who else but the sacred bringers of knowledge, those most valiant beasts slithering behind man and his machinations: "We shall hire attorneys and solicitors of the law!" these professional and educated men cry as they empty their gold upon the serpents at their feet, endearing them to rise, rise and fight, for - the TRUTH!

And it was so, and years did pass, and the serpents did grow fat and sluggish and drunk as they swam among the gold and silver pieces. Truth they seek! A truth that can never repair the wounds they've inflicted on one another, a truth that shall never refill their coffers nor fill their bellies, a truth that satisfies not but - that most foul in refined men: pride.

Behold these ragged men on that far off day of victory, poorer from their wisdom, embittered by their struggles, but glowing with triumph! "Pride! We have our Truth!" they exclaim and smile, though the truth tastes as ashes in their mouths.

And fate doth laugh, and the serpents doth laugh.

Cue the choir, close curtains. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back