The "Skinny" on what the newest Court Proceedings mean

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
The company going to the BK Judge is what all IAM members should have wanted. In essence, the IAM is 'rooting out' your company's position regarding the change of control. Some of you have emailed me with real questions so I'll post some replies here.

1. Why is the company going to the BK judge and shouldn't we do a job action?
The company did not offer a reasonable offer to the IAM [according to IAM documents] so the IAM has effectively 'held its cards' and decided to pursue the greivance. This action proved me wrong but I give points to the IAM for not laying down the cards and accepting a less than fair agreement.

Any job action would be damaging and unfair to the workers, company, and the process. It would be asinine as the things that are happening are just procedual.

Didn't the company catch the IAM off guard by going to the Bankruptcy judge and won't this have damaging effects to workers?
When the IAM held its cards, it affectively rolled the dice and [for the first time] called the company's bluff. This forced your company to lay down its cards so everyone knows what card the company is playing. This will at least be publically embarassing for the company and will also let the workers know how much money is at stake.
The IAM was not caught off guard and has very capable attorneys that were fully aware that things may go through legal procedures, possibly including appeals which may become lengthly. All Labor is watching as the IAM now has a chance to create a new paradigm for labor which has a much greater scope than just the US AIRWAYS property. Within the industry alone, it will force a new industry wage trend.

In this case, the workers won't be damaged. This is exactly what the workers should have wanted. Now everyone can see what cards are laid on the table and the They are actually getting what they are paying for by having a union actually stick to its guns and advocating for things that the workers fought long and hard for. This is a grievance....not negotitions. One must separate the two to rightly see what's going on.

What is the company contention in this case?

The company is basically saying the grievance should have been a 'claim' in the BK proceedings. If the Judge allows a broad definition of 'claim' then the case has merit. I am not an attorney and I don't know what the final determination will be, but in essence what the company is saying is that the IAM should have argued this grievance before the violation occured. Also, part of the company's contenion is based on what the IAM 'didn't do', ie., things of ommision.
I do not believe the IAM was olbigated to make this grievance a claim before it was birth, but I'm not the judge.
Secondly the company's contention about the IAM recognition of 'pay cuts' during its objections is weak at best and one need not be an attorney to label it weak.

Nonetheless, the company's best argument pretty much stands on the definition of 'claim'.

What does this mean for workers?
One word...."Jackpot".
First off, let's be clear, this is not negotiations...it is a greivance. The language is in the contract and it is Non Negotiable. In essence, this is the equivalent of 7,000 people [Mechanic & Fleet] pooling and holding a ticket for the Mega Million $439 million lottery [$627 million once 'westies' are included]. AND such a ticket has a 50%+ chance of winning. R U Kiddn me????

I don't know about you, but if I'm one of these 7,000 holding a ticket with an over $439 million payout with great odds then I say 'proceed' and "Let's get this thing done" and I would most certainly be willing to wait out the legal maneuvering. And if it isn't the winning number then you have lost nothing.

What is the Legal Process involved?
The judge can order an injunction and call for hearings and/or make a determination at a later date. We have seen this before. Don't expect this to be a one day thingy, especially with such a huge "Jackpot".

Likely Outcome?
Dunno, but where have we seen this before? It may be a stage that both your company and union have created to come to an agreement. In this case, the union's action would prove me right as it will sell out the workers.
What I'm saying is that we should expect the Judge to make a determination 'over time' and not overnight. For instance, he could say he will determine the outcome in 30 days. Under similar situations during the bankruptcy proceedings, the IAM folded its cards and went to the workers and explicitly said they should take an enhanced agreement before a Judge's determination date. I do not claim to have any knowledge of what the IAM's intentions are but hopefully this isn't a 'cooling off' period manufactured by the company, through pending legal determinations, to position the IAM more gracefully in persuading "East" workers to accept an unfair agreement through fear of what a Judge may or may not do. We've seen it before so who can fault the company for settting this up back in the BK court?

How much 'lov'n' would each "East" fleet employee get?
I'm not a math whiz but if a Class one station was $17 and should have been 2003 pay parity [$20.08] then the retro bonus checks for each full-time employee to 'make you whole' could be $12,000 and change for a two year period of May 2005-May 2007. A class 2 employee's should be a retro check in the amount of $18,500 [more since class 2 pay has only been $15.60]. Essentially what Bob Barker sez, " A new Car".
Tack on future wage rates based on the "give me some 4.5% lovn" for years 2009, 2010, and 2011 could be:
2009: $20.91
2010: $21.85
2011: $22.83

What does this mean for Pilots, Stews, Customer service?
My understanding is that the change of control grievance is IAM exclusive as the CWA/IBT sold its members out in return for a seamless voluntary recognition that didn't need a union vote.

But then again who knows which way the IAM will go on this. If it pursues this then it could make the papers in every city and provide the much needed and overdue impetus for Labor. A new paradigm for Labor could be established and this could be the shot heard from coast to coast that will create a culture shift in favor of labor, but at least the industry.

Again, the attorneys and other players will help determine the outcome of this Judge's determination.

regards

The company going to the BK Judge is what all IAM members should have wanted. In essence, the IAM is 'rooting out' your company's position regarding the change of control. Some of you have emailed me with real questions so I'll post some replies here.

I'm not a math whiz but if a Class one station was $17 and should have been 2003 pay parity [$20.08] then the retro bonus checks for each full-time employee to 'make you whole' could be $12,000 and change for a two year period of May 2005-May 2007. A class 2 employee's should be a retro check in the amount of $18,500 [more since class 2 pay has only been $15.60]. Essentially what Bob Barker sez, " A new Car".
Tack on future wage rates based on the "give me some 4.5% lovn" for years 2009, 2010, and 2011 could be:
2009: $20.91
2010: $21.85
2011: $22.83
Hey Tim Thanks for the insight and response to this question! This sure as hell would beat the piss poor profit share check FS will get in March. This is one reason why arbitration is the way I want the IAM to proceed. The company stalling makes me even more determined to see this thru to full arbitration, I sure as hell don't want a deal thrown at me by the IAM its time to go all the way or nothing on this grievance. The IAM has a real chance to make a big big gain for labor at USAirways and for the rest of the labor movement.

Hey Tim, when do you think I can get that new Plasma?
You may get that new plasma before the kids come home for summer! Wouldn't be surprised if a judge stalls this for a few months though. But in any case, unless the IAM screws this thing up to pimp more workers, the award appears to be inevitable. Tuffa Lucka to the IBT/CWA that gave up their arbitration for more union members.

I wouldn't be suprised if one starts seeing 'shiny new hitches' on the trucks of the boys in CLT, just in time for summertime bass on Wylie. Should end up like taking candy from a baby! Big Fat Checks for the Boys.

At any rate, 'gots' to like the arbitration after seeing your company's hand and reading its weak positon. An arbitration win would be a 'sweet' ending and a raining of justice to the thousands of workers who have been 'pimped on' and exploited by the bankruptcy laws of this country.

regards

It doesn't take a genius to make money by underpaying your employees. Now I see what was so attractive to Parker in buying US. Perhaps he was blinded by greed with our poorhouse wages and didn't see the takeover provision in the IAM CBA. I imagine he pays quite alot of money to some legal guy to sniff this stuff out, but probably a cut rate knowing Parker.

Do you think it's possible that the IAM negotiators foresaw a possible takeover of US due to our low wages and immoral benefits by some low-rent outfit like AWA looking to make a quick buck and insisted on the snap-back? If so, I owe Canale a drink.

It doesn't take a genius to make money by underpaying your employees. Now I see what was so attractive to Parker in buying US. Perhaps he was blinded by greed with our poorhouse wages and didn't see the takeover provision in the IAM CBA. I imagine he pays quite alot of money to some legal guy to sniff this stuff out, but probably a cut rate knowing Parker.

Do you think it's possible that the IAM negotiators foresaw a possible takeover of US due to our low wages and immoral benefits by some low-rent outfit like AWA looking to make a quick buck and insisted on the snap-back? If so, I owe Canale a drink.
I think this whole thing just fell in the IAM's lap. Let's not give the IAM too much credit until they actually show they know what to do with this.
regards,

I think this whole thing just fell in the IAM's lap. Let's not give the IAM too much credit until they actually show they know what to do with this.
regards,

A win in arbitration would mean a return to ALMOST normal mechanics wages (based on the better paying PAX / CARGO outfits). That coupled with a fat retro check would be awesome!!!!! BTW, I'm not holding my breath on this one. However, if the grievance is denied, I believe there will be many dark years ahead for US Airways mechanics (east and west combined) at this airline. Oh, and don't feel bad for the Mx foremen. They'll be getting a raise in salary if this comes to fruition just to stay one step ahead of the mechanics.

I just did a search on the company's lead attorney and came up with a markepsteinlaw.com. Apparently he specializes in DUI and Bankruptcy in the DC area. I wonder if this is the same guy who gives bad legal advice from the backseat of Dp's Beemer. Maybe Doug got a twofer.

a little bird through the grapevine told me that the company had reached out to 3 other firms and they declined to take the case maybe thats why they got someone who specializes in DUI. Anyine have a dump truck full of manuer we can dump on their office in Maryland.

a little bird through the grapevine told me that the company had reached out to 3 other firms and they declined to take the case maybe thats why they got someone who specializes in DUI. Anyine have a dump truck full of manuer we can dump on their office in Maryland.
actually the company's law firm was the number 1 ranked law firm in Vault's 2007 guide to Top law firms. Ironically, thier work in pro bona cases is also second to none helping the indigent, homeless, and criminals.

regards,

actually the company's law firm was the number 1 ranked law firm in Vault's 2007 guide to Top law firms. Ironically, thier work in pro bona cases is also second to none helping the indigent, homeless, and criminals.

regards,
I hear Doug's in a place for criminals as I write this. My advice to Doug: don't pick up the soap.

I just did a search on the company's lead attorney and came up with a markepsteinlaw.com. Apparently he specializes in DUI and Bankruptcy in the DC area. I wonder if this is the same guy who gives bad legal advice from the backseat of Dp's Beemer. Maybe Doug got a twofer.
And last I've heard, Good ole DoUgIe still has that infamous "Lorenzoite" Gerald glASS on the payroll.

IMO you can count on US "pushing" the case around until all appeals are exhausted. From my limited knowledge of law and what I read here it looks to me like IAM has US by the short curlies in a very very big way.

The only thing I keep thinking is how could Glass not have anticipated this eventuality? THAT is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about.

Did Jerry "Drop the Ball" or set up the IAM to "Drop the Hammer" yet again?
Just a simple case of not covering all angles. You win some, you lose some, and US AIRWAYS has won alot, but In this case it looks like IAM 1 US AIRWAYS 0. It would be the equivalent of a chess game where your opponent had an outstanding opening, beat you in the middle game, but let a pawn play 'capture the queen' in the endgame.

At any rate, I have spoken to some of my union brothers and I can tell you there is great anger and dare I say furror over their company walking out on union brothers in negotiations and turning to 3rd party judges again, especially after making 1/2 billion dollar$.
I'm not sure what monetary value this variable looks like in the company's laptop computer modules.

The good news is that I think fleet can stay focused and professional and not let this ignorance affect their job performance. I think this legal procedure[ing] may be a significant time frame. They should know their big pay wages [with possible interest], big fat retro checks liquidated into possible plasma TV's and shiny new hitches on their trucks aren't going away if this case is won.

regards,