Tidbits From The Alpa Meeting Today

Reasonings was we gave them solutions on the Airbus and gave them solutions for the problems in PHL and a myriad of other issues, it all went on deaf ears so there is nothing for the IAM to talk to Dave and his dishonest executives

Knowing that leads me to believe that without ALL the work groups willing to concede to more concessions U has no future.

Please remember that if PSA is hiring off the street soon it will be because there are not enough APL pilots accepting the FO positions. There are more than enough APL pilots that would take a captains slot, but not the FO slot.

You are correct that OUR company is in a fight for its exsistence. The house of mainline burnt down and left 1800 pilots without a place to call home. The PSA MEC agreed to J4J and now we have a steady stream of mainline furloughees coming over. We have no problem with 50/50, but don't expect us to move out of our house just because yours burned down. This is not a flowdown, so expecting to get 100% of anything at a separate airline just isn't fair to either side.

How would you feel if the PSA pilots asked for 30 A319s at mainline with 100% PSA staffing?

Explain what future that would be?

Cav,
Is an explanation really necessary?
People come onto this board with all their many ideas of how management can do certain things to run this company and turn a profit but has anything really changed? Some come on here saying they'll do anything the company wants them to do in order to save their job but in all sincerity would working for free save the company? We both know the answer to that question. IMHO its over!

Remember the day U filed Chapter 11? It came as a complete surprise to just about everyone, myself included. Again, this is my opinion. like it or not but the same thing is going to happen when they file for Chapter 7... it'll come just as quick but this time there will be no reorganization, this time there will be no tomorrow ... not for US Airways anyway.

usairways85 said:
cavalier: When Glasgow was announced a 762 was the aircraft chosen to operate the flt, not an A330.
Well then correct management because they are the ones who relayed this information to us all, I am not the only who heard 330.

Point being, Glasgow could be cancelled due to longer than anticipated maintenance check.

AOG would know for sure being he is in CLT

Last time I checked, the company set the staffing levels. Maintenance is way under staffed for the work that is needed to be done. The planes are getting older requiring more maintenance and the Airbii are not holding up well and much extra work is needed.

People are leaving and not being replaced, it is not a worker problem, it is a worker shortage problem. The bean counters have cut the staffing way below what is needed so it makes it look like we are not producing, but reality, the major problem is lack of manpower.

colorado_cowboy said:
Cav,
Is an explanation really necessary?
People come onto this board with all their many ideas of how management can do certain things to run this company and turn a profit but has anything really changed? Some come on here saying they'll do anything the company wants them to do in order to save their job but in all sincerity would working for free save the company? We both know the answer to that question. IMHO its over!

Remember the day U filed Chapter 11? It came as a complete surprise to just about everyone, myself included. Again, this is my opinion. like it or not but the same thing is going to happen when they file for Chapter 7... it'll come just as quick but this time there will be no reorganization, this time there will be no tomorrow ... not for US Airways anyway.
I see a red door and I want it painted black
no colors anymore, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars and they are painted black
with flowers and my love both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
like a new born baby it just happens every day

I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door and it's heading into black
maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts
it's not easy facing up when your whole world is black

I wanna see it painted painted, painted black, oh baby
I wanna see it painted painted, painted black, oh baby

cavalier said:
Well then correct management because they are the ones who relayed this information to us all, I am not the only who heard 330.

Point being, Glasgow could be cancelled due to longer than anticipated maintenance check.

I do believe managements comments about the A300-300 were a bit out of school.

CLT is getting behind on work schedules...but the evidence as to why is as plain as the nose on your face.

CLT by comparison to PIT is horribly under-staffed when you draw a comparison based on shear magnitude alone. A330 , B767 and B757 Heavy Checks simply take more manpower to perform the task in most instances

CLT is also "Snake-Bit" with being tasked to handle the poorest vendor and manufacturer supported Acft we fly (The A300-300). The 330's are also being found to have corrosion issues that were not taken into account on paper....and more often than not, the Acft is being robbed of hard to obtain parts to keep the other 8 A330's flying. This factor alone has delayed the A330's rolling over the tracks on three Acft that I know of recently.

CLT is also hampered by weekend crews so small , that for all intents and purposes , are pointless. 4 Mechanics on an A330 or a B767 is simply a joke....and people (management included) are starting to react to it as such.

You simly cannot fight an uphill battle both ways and hope to maintain the same momentum all the time.

CLT is so short..we operate 3 out of the alloted 5 tracks we are designed to handle and capable of running..in reality we are barely staffed for 2 tracks numerically.

Acft 602 sits outside the CLT hangar awaiting it's turn.....and Space is not remotely the issue as to why it's not being worked. It's purely manpower issues across the board.

I know for fact that PIT has it's problems..and I do everything within my ability to aid both ends of the spectrum...yet all the best efforts put forth by all involved will not off-set the facts of short staffing and budgetary limitations on inventory playing havoc with the entire system.

cavalier said:
AOG-N-IT said:
cavalier said:

I do believe managements comments about the A300-300 were a bit out of school.

CLT is getting behind on work schedules...but the evidence as to why is as plain as the nose on your face.

CLT by comparison to PIT is horribly under-staffed when you draw a comparison based on shear magnitude alone. A330 , B767 and B757 Heavy Checks simply take more manpower to perform the task in most instances

CLT is also "Snake-Bit" with being tasked to handle the poorest vendor and manufacturer supported Acft we fly (The A300-300). The 330's are also being found to have corrosion issues that were not taken into account on paper....and more often than not, the Acft is being robbed of hard to obtain parts to keep the other 8 A330's flying. This factor alone has delayed the A330's rolling over the tracks on three Acft that I know of recently.

CLT is also hampered by weekend crews so small , that for all intents and purposes , are pointless. 4 Mechanics on an A330 or a B767 is simply a joke....and people (management included) are starting to react to it as such.

You simly cannot fight an uphill battle both ways and hope to maintain the same momentum all the time.

CLT is so short..we operate 3 out of the alloted 5 tracks we are designed to handle and capable of running..in reality we are barely staffed for 2 tracks numerically.

Acft 602 sits outside the CLT hangar awaiting it's turn.....and Space is not remotely the issue as to why it's not being worked. It's purely manpower issues across the board.

I know for fact that PIT has it's problems..and I do everything within my ability to aid both ends of the spectrum...yet all the best efforts put forth by all involved will not off-set the facts of short staffing and budgetary limitations on inventory playing havoc with the entire system.
I knew you would have a better handle on it AOG.

Simply put, it’s as though we are being set-up to fail hence justifying outsourcing.
:( Cav , I can't help but agree. I know if I were trying to argue or make a point like management is doing with our maintenance...and I as management had the ability to alter the experiment or stack the deck in my favor in this arguement? I would be playing it exactly how they are playing it.

Those on the outside passing judgement on this issue do not have the knowledge to understand the difference. I do not exclude the judges in this view either. It's the IAM's job to present the facts of the matter relating to slumping on time performance based on the very factors 700UW and I have outlined.

AOG, trust me they will.

Even have all the charts and plans of how the work was supposed to be done in TPA for the A320 S-checks in the IAM's possession.

FYI: Charles Nardello, New VP of Maintenance for Hawaiian Airlines.

700UW said:
AOG, trust me they will.

Even have all the charts and plans of how the work was supposed to be done in TPA for the A320 S-checks in the IAM's possession.

FYI: Charles Nardello, New VP of Maintenance for Hawaiian Airlines.

I felt somewhat confident that the IAM would be prepared to drive home their point on this issue. This is afterall thier/our fight to win or lose based on those facts being presented with 100% accuracy.

I , while not a big fan of Charlie Nardello from a technical standpoint , am equally happy to see him landing on his feet in a warmer climate.

I feel certain that "Ole Charlie" became a sacrificial lamb sort of speak , because he told the upper ranks what was contained and implied in the IAM contract regarding our work. That aspect alone showed me that Charlie had his redeeming qualities regardless of other differences or obstacles he may have engineered along the way.

Charlie was also very instrumental in granting employment to many in PIT from his association with fine people from the PA. Air National Guard in PIT. He may not have been right or even wise in all his choices...but he perished from U for being a man of principal and showing a rare personal quality known as integrity. That alone warrants my respect and lasting gratitude.

AOG,

In his tenure as VP of MTC, he had a complete attitude change and was actually doing the right thing in regard to our contract and work.

And they say a leopard can't change its spots.

Bud8EE said:
Stuka Luva said:
CaptianBoomer said:
DorkDriver-

PSA should give the U furloughees 100% of the 70 seaters
My one question is WHY?

Why is it an entitlement for mainline pilots to fly 70-seaters @ 100%?

I'm all for 50/50 as per the J4J agreement. 99.5% of J4J pilots now here are great guys/gals and I would love to fly with them any day. Every one I've talked to at least (naturally not every one of them on property) support a 50/50 staffing of 70s. It's only fair. It is about jobs and pay of course, but especially with the startup of MDA, and one pay rate @ PSA for both aircraft, what's the difference who flies what as long as as many of us as possible have jobs?

Because it's the principle...

BTW: PSA MEC will NEVER agree to 100% staffing, so face facts. Whether you think it's right or wrong, that is the current situation.
Mainline ALPA has 1800 furloughed pilots. UAIR management wants to restore the capacity that was cut post 9/11 with CRJ 700 or EMB 170 type aircraft. These aicraft have similar capacity and range(some with more) than mainline planes that have been parked. What UAIR management has done and is replaced mainline flying with cheaper labor agreements, with aircraft that not "regional" by any definition. Mainline ALPA has already allowed them to lower the pay and benifits for such jobs to the chagrin of the 1800+ and it would be another slap to not secure the very same jobs that the scope relief they alllowed are replacing.
Alright, let me "bottom line" this for those that belive that the furloughees are entitled to 100% of anything at PSA.

LOA 83(which PSA DID NOT SIGN) states, in summary, that 70 seaters at "affiliate carriers" will be flown at 50/50 staffing ratios, and 70 seaters at the WO will be flown 100% by the pilots on the APL list.

PSA did sign LOA 81 which concerns 50 seaters only. If 70 seaters are to be flown at PSA the Mainline MEC is going to have to negotiate it, which is whats going on now.

Now let me ask some of you this. If LOA 83 lets affiliate carriers fly 70 seaters at 50/50 what makes you think PSA(a US Airways WO carrier) is going to let you have 100% of those seats? Its not going to happen, and I would just as soon let this company go down in flames before giving you my job.

We are more than willing to share in the growning of the Group, but it will be at 50/50. Its high time that the mainline pilots accept this and work with us to restore unity (not that it ever existed) and grow together to become stronger and learn how to fight this incompetant Mgt. together.

The ball is in your court, and we are willing to work with you. You gave the affiliates 50/50, what are you going to do for your own familiy?