Training Update...

Good evening everyone! Hope ya all had a great week. Mine was pretty good, and as you guessed, here come the details....
Monday and Tuesday were filled with lots of sitting, reading and chatting about all things helicopter. The weather was far from desireable with visibility about 3/4 of a foot. Even the birds on the taxiways decided it was safer to walk around versus fly.
Come Wednesday the fog finally broke and was exchanged for some very nasty winds and wind shear. But it was still within limits so out we went to do some more Instrument stuff with the foggles on. With that wind shear it was a good thing I have a pretty strong stomach when flying with the foggles on. We were getting thrown all over the place while I'm trying to maintain or change heading and altitude. Every few minutes the instructor would ask if I was still ok and able to carry on. Guess he didn't want me redecorating the cockpit with my lunch, but for the most part I thought it was fun.
Yesterday was pretty much the same but with less wind. Thank God! More foggle work, more confined areas, more emergencies. Then I headed out for some circuits to practice quick stops, both into wind and downwind. The downwind quick stops are great. At least so long as I don't screw it up and crash. I'd hate to mess it up with such a high degree of bank so low to the ground!
Heading out on one circuit I made my call to Tower and just started a nice into-wind towering takeoff. At about 30 feet I heard and felt a very loud BBBRRRRAAAAPPPPP!! come from somewhere in/on the helicopter. It lasted for about a second, but was more than enough to make my eyes bug out of my head I'm sure. I instantly aborted the takeoff. I powered down on the ground and began wondering what the hell made that horrid noise. The controls felt normal, and the engine seemed fine according to my ears and guages. I put the frictions on and hopped out to see what I could see. Nothing. Then a theory popped into my head. I got back in, powered up and got into the hover. Still into wind I pulled up on the collective to full power as if to do another towering takeoff, but without any forward cyclic. So of course the helicopter rose quickly high into the air, but this time no noise or vibrations. I came back down into the hover, got the nose straight into wind and proceeded with another high takeoff. Again within a few seconds I heard the same sharp noise. I guess with the high wind coupled with the towering takeoff produced a quick vibration on the rear engine panel, which has a slight bend that makes it stick out a wee bit. The air caught this little lip and buzzed it for a second. No big deal...phew!
And today was much the same as usual lately. We did a mock flight test and I would have passed had it been the real deal. Nice to know since the real deal will be next week if the weather co-operates. Later I flew around doing confined areas by myself. There is this very very tiny island near Saltspring that I've been dying to try landing on. So today I figured I'd go for the gusto. Made a nice orbit checking it out and all looked ok. On approach I noticed a Bald Eagle launch off the wee light post marking the island to boaters. Cool. Then I saw a big splash on the shore as I was about 100' back. There were a bunch a Seals bathing on the island and I never even saw them. By now they were all dashing "lemming style" into the ocean to avoid the loud contraption heading their way. Two brave ones stayed top side to bark at me as I flew off, didn't want to dice them with the tail rotor seeing how cute they were.
So that's a wrap on yet another week for me. Hopefully next week I can bore you all with the details of my flight test! :up:
Ryan.

another good read, ryan, although i think you will find there will be some differing opinions on frictioning and leaving the the cockpit unattended with the rotor's running, even for a short period of time...

good luck with the upcoming flight test... :up: :up:

Good call Twinstar. I was wondering about that later that day. Hindsight tells me I should have shut down before checking things out. Sure would have made for a better inspection of everything. Next time I need to have a good look at stuff I'll go the extra mile and do it right. Guess I could have ruined my own day big time had a large wind gust thrown the rotor into translation wthout me in the seat.

Well, I better get this done fast as it's not looking good for CA Aviation. :down:
There's not a whole heck of a lot to report on for this week. I didn't get a chance to do the flight test due to typical winter weather here on the island. I did get my pre flight-test trip out of the way so now I have the recommendation needed for the real deal. I'm not worried about the flight-test at all. It's just another flight really, I just have to be relaxed and I know I'll pass.
Yesterday while doing more confined landing we shut down and got out to have a better look at where we'd just landed. At first I though I'd done something wrong, but the instructor just wanted me to have a look at a spot from the outside to see it from another view. It put into perspective just how far student heli pilots come in such a short time. Looking at where I'd set down I thought, Jesus that's a tight little spot! I felt some pride in knowing that I put it there. A movement of a few feet in almost any direction would have the main or tail rotor into either the trees or the rocks. It also really hit home the fact that you can't let the machine go anywhere you don't want it to unless you're into taking a long walk out of the woods. Plus, it was great to just get out for a break and enjoy the wilderness and a stunning view most people never get to see. Also in the back of my mind was the hope that the noise of the helicopter comming in scared away any cougars in the area.
So hopefully next week will allow my flight-test if the weather permits. I can't believe it's December already. That means I should be done and have a license in my hand come Christmas. Again that depends on the weather. And once the flight-test is outta the way I can get cracking on the type exam for the 206. Everytime I think about the 206 I feel like Homer Simpson thinking of Duff Beer.
Mmmmm.....Jet Rangerrrrr. :up:

In the event that this site does go up in a cloud of smoke and any of ya want to keep in touch gimme a PM and I'll send you my email address. Otherwise I'll be here same day as usual next week.

Ryan.

Hey Ryan,

Congrats, sounds like you're confident for the flt test.

Just a question, what's your motivaton in doing the 206 endorsement? Do you have work lined up?

Take care,
AR

Autorelight; Probably has to much money and just wants to get a turbine endorsement. Ha Ha

Ryan: Before you go for the turbine endorsement, get a book on turbine engines and understand the theory and workings of a turbine.
Turbine engines C20B normally developes around double the actual HP that you use, an equal (or there abouts) is used to run the engine and accessories.

You must light of at a given N1 by applying turbine fuel to the combustion chamber and control fuel input to maintain the TOT within limits up to 60% N1.

All this is done using the starter/gen, battery power or APU.

Once you have reached 60% N1 the engine is developing enough RPM to run itself, prior to that, it's all on the starter.

Just remember that if you want to abort a start once you have had a light-off, cut-off throttle and keep finger on the starter until the TOT drops.

Only other thing to remember, is you can milk the throttle and collective on a piston, not a turbine, you are wide open on the throttle and once the N2 starts dropping below approxiametly 200 RPM you had better be in autorotation, because it will keep on going.

Understanding the technology is half the battle.

Cheers, good luck and have fun. Don

Hehe yeah Don, figured why be only $40k in debt when I can be $50k in debt! Thanks for the info too Don. :up:
Well AR, I wish I had a job lined up. About the only motivation I have for the 206 endorsment is in hopes it might give me a leg up on other 100 pilots without one. Of course I may well be wrong and have blown money I could have used for more R22 time, but it's a gamble I can live with. Could be the old "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenerios I guess.

Hi Ryan,

Of course it's none of my business, but here it is anyway...

I'm sure you have been surfing many of these forums, so you should know the whole purchaing of a PPC topic is a hot one. I have maintianed for many years that any company asking you to pay for a PPC is not worth working for, there are many reasons why I say this, and I won't bore you with them.

You do know it expires in two years? Are you certain you'll get a flying job in that time? If you get on at any of the reputable outfits, they'll probably give you thier own anyway. You are required intial training from whoever hires you before you can fly. What's a 206 go for at the flight school, $900/hour? That's a lot of gas and food on the road looking for a job. The interest alone is really going to add up over the years.

%90 of the hiring I've ever seen, or been involved with, is based on attitude - that's even true for guys with time, maybe more so. With 100hrs, no one expects you to be a great pilot, that comes with time. You will be judged on your attitude, enthusiasm and self respect - not whether you bring 5hrs on a Jet Box and haven't flown in 8 months.

The other thing is that you contribute to the problem by purchasing a PPC. Those behind you will have even more pressure to follow suit. I've watched your updates, and it seems that you have a good attiude and enthusiasm. Let me ask, would you work for free? Even on a Jet Ranger? Didn't think so. Well, buying PPC's is only one step above that. It's employers and flight schools taking advantage of you.

Now I realize you are excited as hell, and I suppose if you have the money, who the hell am I to object, but just think about what you are doing first. There are endless threads about this subject, and they are not positive. Ask Blackmac what he thinks...

I wish you the best of luck, and am sure you will do just fine with, or without the PPC.

Regards,

AR

Let's clear this up first. A PPC is not the same thing as a 206 endorsement !!!

Auto Relight, sorry but I disagree with you.
Ryan should definitely get a 206 endorsement, if possible 10 hours. Some companies are hiring pilots to fly a 206 as a first job, the others will respect that endorsement now and use it later.

A company that hires you should then have to pay for any training to Company Operations Manual standards AND the required PPC from a MoT approved check-pilot.

The experience gained starting and flying a 206 will make you not only more employable, but I believe better at flying an R22 as well.

I do agree with Auto Relight about costs......i.e. training, the road trip and any extra hours to stay current before getting hired are paid by the student. However, once you are HIRED the employer pays the rest. Don't settle for less.

Ryan, you have shown great common sense so far, listen to ALL responses here, talk to Bob, decide wisely, and Good Luck.

OT,

IF you're going to spend the money, youmay as well get the PPC. Just doing 10 hours in the 206 and STILL not having the PPC is a waste.

You're talking $9k... As someone who's been at the flying thing for 8+years and is STILL paying off the costs, I think discretion is important. Of course this is all just my opinion, and you are correct in saying "listen to everyone." As then he can make his own decisions.

But Ryan, if you go ahead with 5+hrs in the machine, what are you getting out of it, if not a PPC? THIS IS EXPENSIVE - get all you can from it. I know plenty of guys who flew a JR on their first job with no prior time on type, including me. If you do it, why not wait until your first job is in sight? Just a thought.

OT, I have just seen so many guys excessively broke, out of work, and very very bitter. Fortunately, I'm not one of them, but in this day and age, things cost SO much, that you really have to watch what you spend on, and when.

Safe Flying,
AR

Good food for thought from both of ya, thanks guys. :up: Trust me, with the end of the course in sight I'm weighing all my options very carefully. Time will tell if I make the right choice.

Save your money. Any operator worth working for will give you the endorsement. It is likely that you will be hired rather readily I would think considering your posts on the forum.

Thanks for the input Sisyphus. I finally decided to go for the gusto though and do the 10 hours in the 206. Seems like the camp is evenly divided as to whether I'll live to regret it or not, hopefully the latter.