TUL 7 day coverage

Why doesn't TUL, AFW, and MCIE have 24/7 coverage like the rest of us?

Very Good Question.

If there were 7 day coverage, turntimes would improve and the number of heads required to get it done would drop. Less Dues Payers with improved production? No Way!

It would lead to seniority bid shifts and days off, and the overhaul TWU leaders like to remove seniority from the shift/bid equation.

Not sure why, but that is the way things are. The TWU in overhaul would rather reduce wages and benefits and keep overage headcount up of their membership (dues payers) instead of using standard logic to increase productivity by use of 7 day coverage and increase pay and benefits.

Actually 7 day coverage is now happening in select areas in Tulsa.

Very Good Question.

If there were 7 day coverage, turntimes would improve and the number of heads required to get it done would drop. Less Dues Payers with improved production? No Way!

It would lead to seniority bid shifts and days off, and the overhaul TWU leaders like to remove seniority from the shift/bid equation.

Not sure why, but that is the way things are. The TWU in overhaul would rather reduce wages and benefits and keep overage headcount up of their membership (dues payers) instead of using standard logic to increase productivity by use of 7 day coverage and increase pay and benefits.

Actually 7 day coverage is now happening in select areas in Tulsa.

If I understood Captain Fred correctly during his pickup truck tailgate parties in TULE (with no beer and brats), the 4/10 schedules are going away and 7 day coverage is coming quite soon to a shop near you (and me).

Wouldn't it be a gas if he succeeds in turning the TULE proletariat against the dues collection agency that's referred to as a union?

You're right though - the TWU will be at odds with any attempt to operate the base efficiently because of the loss of its income owing to less dues money coming in.

Poor, poor Little Jimmy and his ship of fools.

If I understood Captain Fred correctly during his pickup truck tailgate parties in TULE (with no beer and brats), the 4/10 schedules are going away and 7 day coverage is coming quite soon to a shop near you (and me).

Wouldn't it be a gas if he succeeds in turning the TULE proletariat against the dues collection agency that's referred to as a union?

You're right though - the TWU will be at odds with any attempt to operate the base efficiently because of the loss of its income owing to less dues money coming in.

Poor, poor Little Jimmy and his ship of fools.

Actually his talk to us said as long as we show good production and supervisors agree we can keep the 4/10 but they could still say bye bye when they want to. All they got to do is give us 30 days notice I hear.

Now that sounds like a scenario......where the Company + The Union(SAME CRAP)..can't lose.

Then the membership, who want 7 day coverage, should do EVERYTHING, and ANYTHING to see that it comes to fruition !!

Why doesn't TUL, AFW, and MCIE have 24/7 coverage like the rest of us?
Duke I`ve been asking that for years now. In the past here at afw when it has been suggested the response was "its not fair to the low senority". Well we have all done our time on mids and weekends,they can too. If our operation would go to 24/7 I can see production going thru the roof. I miss the daze of thursday night engine run/ friday night departure and weekend trade out.

The reason TWU Leadership is always so concerned for the low seniority is because AA has hired their relatives (Sons, Daughters, Son-in-Law, Daughter-in-law, ect) and their relatives friends.

They are much closer emotionally in intimate touch with the plight of these folks and those with higher seniority need to sacrifice for these individuals. The drop of the nepotism restrictions actually created the company union as we know it today.

I think it might be good for all of us if TUL, AFW, and MCIE had 24/7 coverage, then they would fight for shift differential and not so quick to give up holiday pay and sick time. I see no reason to shut down the bases during x-mas. The planes are still flying.

Currently, There is not enough work at each of the overhaul bases to keep a 24/7 shift schedule fully occupied. Manning each of the bases for 24/7 would require a large increase from the current headcounts.

For a simple illustration as to the decrease in turn times and the increase in asset utilization take the following: AA says that each day of downtime for an MD-80, out of service, costs $10,000.00 per day. Under the old heavy C, it took 21 days to turn an MD-80. Under the "pulse line" heavy C check modification it now takes 12 days, or 9 days less. We have some 350 MD-80's that require a heavy C check roughly every 5 years: or roughly 70 MD-80 heavy C checks every year.

We currently staff only days shifts to a full complement, and that is on a five day a week schedule. Afternoons has a scheduled workload, but lighter than days. There is virtually no night shift workload. Giving days and afternoons the nod for full coverage, five days a week, we turn the pulse line MD-80 in 12 days or 24 shifts.

Staffing all three shifts seven days per week accomplishes the same 24 shifts in 8 days. Old C check turn time was 21 days: 70 MD-80 X $10,000.00 X 21= $14,700,000.00 in lost revenue. Current Pulse Line C check turn time 12 days: 70 MD-80 X $10,000.00 X 12= $8,400,000.00 in lost revenue. Full Production C check turn time 8 days: 70 MD-80 X $10,000.00 X 8= $5,600,000.00 in lost revenue. Revenue increase by some 33% with the same fleet while the holes opened in the production lines can be filled with 3P work.

If the 3P work is bid out for labor cost plus materials plus ROI, minus facilities charges, wecome in below other OSV's.

I say absent facilities charges because our current method of production wastes those facilities by failure to fully utilize them.

Currently, There is not enough work at each of the overhaul bases to keep a 24/7 shift schedule fully occupied. Manning each of the bases for 24/7 would require a large increase from the current headcounts.

For a simple illustration as to the decrease in turn times and the increase in asset utilization take the following: AA says that each day of downtime for an MD-80, out of service, costs $10,000.00 per day. Under the old heavy C, it took 21 days to turn an MD-80. Under the "pulse line" heavy C check modification it now takes 12 days, or 9 days less. We have some 350 MD-80's that require a heavy C check roughly every 5 years: or roughly 70 MD-80 heavy C checks every year.

We currently staff only days shifts to a full complement, and that is on a five day a week schedule. Afternoons has a scheduled workload, but lighter than days. There is virtually no night shift workload. Giving days and afternoons the nod for full coverage, five days a week, we turn the pulse line MD-80 in 12 days or 24 shifts.

Staffing all three shifts seven days per week accomplishes the same 24 shifts in 8 days. Old C check turn time was 21 days: 70 MD-80 X $10,000.00 X 21= $14,700,000.00 in lost revenue. Current Pulse Line C check turn time 12 days: 70 MD-80 X $10,000.00 X 12= $8,400,000.00 in lost revenue. Full Production C check turn time 8 days: 70 MD-80 X $10,000.00 X 8= $5,600,000.00 in lost revenue. Revenue increase by some 33% with the same fleet while the holes opened in the production lines can be filled with 3P work.

If the 3P work is bid out for labor cost plus materials plus ROI, minus facilities charges, wecome in below other OSV's.

I say absent facilities charges because our current method of production wastes those facilities by failure to fully utilize them.

then consolidate the bases

:rolleyes:

There is only so much you can do before you get to the point at which people are waiting for others to get out of the way so that they can work on the same area.
The pulse line is practically 7 day coverage now with all the overtime they are dishing out.
Even so 12 day planes are the rare exception not the rule.

TULE Mids A/C Cleaners may be losing their 4/10's soon and going back to 5/8's M-F.
Also may be losing Sunday coverage on 1st and 2nds.
I attended the same meeting "tailgate party" Goose, 'cept in Hangar 6.
Questions were brought up only to get the answer "let me do the numbers and you'll be the first to know" scapegoat answers.
I guess "first to know" means keep reading it in the Dallas Morning News ?

I've laughed about that ever since I've worked at AATULE. At least 60% of the facility/machinery isn't used on any given day.

People smarter than me figure this stuff out, I guess.

Consolidate, yeah thats the ticket! Move the mci work to dwh and afw. Mothball mci for future recovery and 3p work. We are starting a new line at afw in september but we will still have 1 dock open. I talked with a buddy at dfw yesterday and he says dwh is nowhere near full. They also have room for many backshops. As far as 24/7 coverage. If the bases went with that we could reduce turn times. The token weekend coverage afw has is a joke,6 amt/day/dock. Thats it. I`m sure I`ll get flamed but if its good on the line then do it at the bases. Get our turn times down,make room for customer work and employ more amts.

Back