Turboprop Resurgence

whlinder said:
All that is true, but how many people actually pick flights based on the type of plane?  If they did, few people would fly props or old planes.  But the majority of passengers don't know a thing about planes.  The frequent flyers care, but once they get on the Q400 and it is quieter than an RJ and just as fast (slightly slower in the air, faster in and out of the airport by reducing congestion) and more comfortable.  Passengers care more about fares, and running Q400s around the northeast on routes under 400 miles that can't support a 737 is a lot smarter (IMHO) than running 50 seat RJs from 5 different operators on all those routes.
[post="273244"][/post]​

Actually down here in Texas, one of the big advantages flying WN is that you get a 737 instead of the "Express Experience". In cities such as AMA, LUB, Midland, Corpus it's either WN or an RJ. They seem to make money and they have a billboard outside of Corpus stating "No if ands or props"

WN is smart to do so. And of course a lot of travellers will pick a regular size jet over a prop or RJ unless they are miles whores. But my point remains that if the market can't support a 737 and is under 400 miles, the best plane for that market is the Q400.

PineyBob said:
Psssst! Some "Miles Whores" avoid RJ's when possible too. BTW you use the term "miles whore" like it's a bad thing! :)
[post="280418"][/post]​
As long as that RJ you avoid doesn't get you stuck on the flying turd 737 or whatever it's called. :p

jimcfs said:
The PC term is "mile runner".
[post="280436"][/post]​
I always thought they had separate meanings. To me, a mileage runner was someone who purposely purchased a really cheap fare to earn a lot of miles and fly only for the miles, or someone who intentionally took a couple extra flights to earn more miles even though the nonstop flight was the same price.

A 'miles whore' is someone who when faced with buying a $200 ticket on a LCC or a $400 ticket on an RJ of the legacy carrier (on the same route) they have status with, picks the $400 ticket every time. Because they want their status and bonus miles. :D

mrman said:
Actually down here in Texas, one of the big advantages flying WN is that you get a 737 instead of the "Express Experience". In cities such as AMA, LUB, Midland, Corpus it's either WN or an RJ. They seem to make money and they have a billboard outside of Corpus stating "No if ands or props"
[post="280353"][/post]​

If I have the choice of a 737 or a prop, it's the 737. If I have a choice between an RJ (with the exception of the FRJ) and a prop, I'll take the prop. If my only choice is a B1900 with no lav - I'll drive.

FM2436 said:
Does the engine set any further out on the wing than the 100s, 200s?  .
[post="273352"][/post]​

Nope, the engines are in the same relative position on the wing as the other Dashes. I think the additional mass of the airframe better absorbs the high frequency vibrations that cause the annoying buzzing in the interior panels. A great deal of improvement in the customer's perception of the turboprop (propjet as they used to be called) would be realized if the company actually paid more than lip service to the interior appearance of the aircraft. Unfortunately, ground time and staffing are kept to a level that only required maintenance can be accomodated in the organization, no time for the "frills"

dash8wrench said:
Nope, the engines are in the same relative position on the wing as the other Dashes. I think the additional mass of the airframe better absorbs the high frequency vibrations that cause the annoying buzzing in the interior panels. A great deal of improvement in the customer's perception of the turboprop (propjet as they used to be called) would be realized if the company actually paid more than lip service to the interior appearance of the aircraft. Unfortunately, ground time and staffing are kept to a level that only required maintenance can be accomodated in the organization, no time for the "frills"
[post="280580"][/post]​
The latest props (including the Q400) have noise cancellation systems -- small speakers pump out vibrations in anti-phase to the noise from the props. (SOunds like science fiction but it works.) However, I thought I had read on here that US had switched off its NC systems to (a) save mx costs and (B) make the experience equally bad across the prop fleet

SVQLBA said:
The latest props (including the Q400) have noise cancellation systems -- small speakers pump out vibrations in anti-phase to the noise from the props. (SOunds like science fiction but it works.) However, I thought I had read on here that US had switched off its NC systems to (a) save mx costs and (B) make the experience equally bad across the prop fleet
[post="280625"][/post]​

You are correct SVQLBA. I flew on one of the Dash's with the system, and it was phenominally quiet. I later flew on the same aircraft which was a Q200, and it was STILL more quiet than a standard dash even with the system disabled.