Ual 4th Quarter Results

If you don't think current fuel prices are a crisis, you are severely out of touch w/ reality. It may not be a crisis for most Americans but it sure is for the airline industry - which I presume you are either a part of or care about. Fuel at this level will finish off a good chunk of the legacy industry.

We are living in the first generation of Americans that no longer believes their future is as bright as their parents - or attaining it. The US economic dominance of the world is waning - and not just by ill-managed countries but rather by economies that have learned the lessons of capitalism we have been heralding for centuries. The world has heard, embraced our gospel, and we are having a hard time competing and succeeding as we once did. I hear retirement in Latin America is rather comfortable in comparison w/ what middle class Americans can have in the US.

Reactions: 3 people
I would have to add that because we are at war in the Middle East, those investing in oil futures are making a hauling. American outsourcing of jobs to China and India has directly increased oil consumption in those countries that is creating the oil prices we see today. If Whitehouse and/or Congress or both do not see what is happening to the U.S. economy over the long term, we are in for a collapse down the road. Let the free market prevail says the White House. Well, since the U.S. economy depends so heavily on transportation, we should probably re-regulate transportation again. The transportation free market is not working here at home. Its wonderful that prices for goods imported from China are low, but oil prices getting those goods to market here is over $50/per barrel and going up. Americans are being put out of work or forced to take low wages, which in turn renders those low priced goods from China unaffordable.

But, the corporations importing those cheap goods (Wal-Mart) are making huge profits and the officers and major stockholders of those corporations are getting huge bonusses and dividends. And, you think that the White House cares that more and more middle class Americans are slipping below poverty level? How quaint! :rolleyes: Naive, but quaint nonetheless. I bet you believe in justice for all too, don't you? :lol: