UAL beats expectations. Tops analysts forecasts.

How can anyone "Congratulate" an employee at a bankrupt airline which turned a profit via stiffing creditors, investors, tax payers, and shredding their own employees pay, benefits, and contracts. It's like congratulating a baseball player for setting a home run record after taking steriods. He got artificial help that the competition didn't get.

Kind of like pension relief from Congress, PBGC loans, the Wright ammendment, etc.

Your above statement has so many holes it is hilarious!!!

JBG

Kind of like pension relief from Congress, PBGC loans, the Wright ammendment, etc.
Just a minor point, but the Federal agency giving out the post-9/11 loans was the ATSB. In all other respects, I agree with your sentiments.

You really think that AMR is going to take half it's unrestricted cash and put it in the DB plans? That 2 billion in cash flow you are so proud of will be used to finance your pilots new contract, or at least to finance part of that, and the rest of the new contracts.

Well, the pension reform legislation just freed AA from that $2.3 billion burden that would have been due in 2007. Frees up a lot of cash for AA for debt reduction, new fuel efficient equipment and/or both.

Yes we will compare notes, in the fall, next year whatever...

The story is only going to get worse for AMR and better for UAL.

Maybe you're right. Maybe the sun is setting on AA and is just rising for UA. But I doubt it.

Be sure to bump this next year in March or so once the 10-Ks are filed. B)

Just a minor point, but the Federal agency giving out the post-9/11 loans was the ATSB. In all other respects, I agree with your sentiments.

Thanks for correcting me, its all the mail they send me to remind me I am going to get 15K a year instead of 120K.

JBG

Well, the pension reform legislation just freed AA from that $2.3 billion burden that would have been due in 2007. Frees up a lot of cash for AA for debt reduction, new fuel efficient equipment and/or both.
Maybe you're right. Maybe the sun is setting on AA and is just rising for UA. But I doubt it.

Be sure to bump this next year in March or so once the 10-Ks are filed. B)

Nothing quite so negative for AMR, or positive for UAL, but the trend on cost and revenue is more positive IMHO for UAL.

We will revisit this indeed.

JBG

Back