Union Leaders going back to Management?

AAStew

Veteran
Feb 24, 2003
The AP reports today that union leaders are going back to management for changes in the TA''s. The story claims labor is resisting the proposed contracts mostly because of length and minimal pay raises. They are asking for ability to renegotiate wages during life of contract and possibly shorter contracts. Could this be, why we haven''t seen these T/A''s? Stay tuned.....

That would be nice. It wouldn''t take much to turn things around for the FA''s. Like extension of recall rights, passes for furloughees and no loss of furlough pay. At TWA, we gave away the store but always got something in return, like trading flexibility and things that cost the company little or nothing. I was surprised to see no such things in the FA concessions.

MK

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM APFA PRESIDENT JOHN WARD

April 5, 2003

Dear APFA Flight Attendant:

There are no promises from the Company that American Airlines won’t
go into bankruptcy down the line, even if you vote to ratify this
proposal.
However, if this proposal is not ratified, we have no doubt
that the Company will file for bankruptcy.

There’s no question that this proposal represents a severe change in
the nature of our jobs and how we’re compensated for those jobs.
There are mechanisms for recovering some of what we would give up over
the life of this contract – but only some. There would be a long road
ahead to get back to where we are today at the end of this proposed
agreement.

Sincerely,

John Ward

If the company doesn''t accept some changes then I suspect that they never intended to have us approve it in the first place. Maybe BK is really were they want to go. If we vote no then they can say that it was the unions fault, they were forced to declare BK because the Unions were unwilling to make the necessary cuts to save the company. Then they have the opportunity in BK court to gut our contracts with a labor unfriendly BK judge. If they don''t accept some changes to the T/A then I think they had no intention of not going BK all along.

----------------
On 4/8/2003 10:10:26 AM twaokc wrote:

Can you spell BANKRUPTCY and 50% paycuts??????????????

----------------​
FEAR-FEAR FEAR! The paycuts are coming! The paycuts are coming!

Of course there are NO FACTS to back the 50% paycut claim!

RV4,

There are no facts to back up what you are saying except history has proven Bankruptcy is not nice to the airline industry...

----------------
On 4/8/2003 11:12:06 AM RV4 wrote:

Maybe the company doesn''t want "the books" scrutinized?

----------------​
They already were. Each union hired analysts to go over the books. To see where we are at and headed. After it APA put out the a BK filing was imminent. Shortly there after APFA was saying almost the same.

Bob and rv4 couldn''t get a non concessionary contract during the biggest boom economy. They are worn, and bitter because there is not enough support within the mechanic ranks for the AMFA saviors. They have been at this for as long as I have been here.

Anyone who believes that they will do better in BK is nothing short of foolish. The proposals for the BK contract changes are available to see by all. Why would you, and what purpose does it serve to take a larger hit, at the same time endangering the companies very survival?

What is the hidden agenda of bob and dave? Why the desire for a bigger cut? AA is getting 1.6 billion from labor. UAL will be taking 2.56 billion. Going to BK will raise the bar for cuts to that level. Boys if you could not get a decent non concessionary contract during the best of times. You are going to get screwed bad, here in what can only be called the worst of times.

----------------
On 4/8/2003 2:37:47 PM FA Mikey wrote:

Bob and rv4 couldn''t get a non concessionary contract during the biggest boom economy. They are worn, and bitter because there is not enough support within the mechanic ranks for the AMFA saviors. They have been at this for as long as I have been here.

Anyone who believes that they will do better in BK is nothing short of foolish. The proposals for the BK contract changes are available to see by all. Why would you, and what purpose does it serve to take a larger hit, at the same time endangering the companies very survival?

What is the hidden agenda of bob and dave? Why the desire for a bigger cut? AA is getting 1.6 billion from labor. UAL will be taking 2.56 billion. Going to BK will raise the bar for cuts to that level. Boys if you could not get a decent non concessionary contract during the best of times. You are going to get screwed bad, here in what can only be called the worst of times.

----------------​
Mikey it''s only in THEIR minds (and other AMFA people) that our last contract was "concessionary". Most everyone was pretty happy with it. It passed with overwelming approval! We are about to find out what a REAL "concessionary" Contract is all about!

AA D2 TW SP

I did not say that. But if you do vote no, more and more will get the shaft. Its too bad that the industry is in the shape it is in, but I am looking at the lesser of 2 evils....I wish nothing but the best for my former coworkers, but they have been getting the shaft since this merger took place, along with the retirees.

----------------
On 4/8/2003 4:40:11 PM twaokc wrote:

AA D2 TW SP

What are you talking about?????

----------------​
As a TWA retiree, you are afraid to lose your medical and pass benefits, when (not if, mind you) AA files for bankruptcy protection.

That was your post on Smilin' Jack, or is there another poster using that name?

----------------
On 4/8/2003 10:10:26 AM twaokc wrote:

Can you spell BANKRUPTCY and 50% paycuts??????????????

----------------​
twaokc, does this look familiar to you?

profile_ubb6.gif

The following was posted on the TWU site regarding retiree medical. I do not know if it pertains to us or not.
Carl

"Of particular note is the difference in benefits concessions between the term sheets and the tentative agreements. Under the TA’s, all contractual provisions were retained, with no changes to retirement plans or retiree medical. Under the term sheets, however, the Court would unilaterally alter these crucial areas. Medical premiums would increase five-fold in some cases, and the retirement plan would be changed from the current defined benefit plan to a cash balance plan, saving the company millions but costing members critical retirement dollars."

Does not appear as if you have no horse in this race.