Unisys August Scorecard

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Unisys has the August "Scorecard" out. It contains a short discussion of a/c utilization and a lengthy discussion of WN's costs (are they going to match the lower cost legacies soon?).

There are 3 charts I found particularly interesting, mainly because the issue was discussed in a thread here a week or two ago. They plot CASM vs stage length, employee costs vs stage length, and finally "core" costs vs stage length. Core costs are defined by what's left after fuel and employee costs are removed.

Jim

Scorecard

A very interesting report.

USAirways management has done little to address the Core Costs historically, and especially since emerging from bankruptcy. That is the most significant reason U Labor is bristling at further concessions.

On the aircraft utilization side there has been no apparent reason other the lack of will to achieve higher daily usage of the domestic fleet.

Question: Does anyone know how many aircraft are in extended maintenance at a given time? Seems to me every time I transit through PIT or CLT there are at least 5-7 various fleet types either in the bays or on the ramp during the day.

Haven't seen posts from one of the better contributors "AOG-N-IT" here for awhile. He would know the answer to the above question I think.

There are usually 3 to 5 planes in CLT heavy at one time, mostly three.

Can't speak for PIT.

Remember the small hangar in CLT is the line hangar used for planes on ETR and overnight checks and maintenance.

700UW said:

Can't speak for PIT.

Remember the small hangar in CLT is the line hangar used for planes on ETR and overnight checks and maintenance.
[post="169884"][/post]​

There are three Q checks and 3 C checks in PIT at any given time, they have total space for 9 737's, so the remainder of bays are for drop in a/c. Like fuel qty mods and inspections.

700UW said:

Can't speak for PIT.

[post="169884"][/post]​

Thanks for the info.

Boeing Boy:

FANTASTIC DATA!!!! :up: :up: :up: :up:

N924PS:

You make a great point. There is anecdotal evidence of US Airways' not dealing with Core costs all over the place... Overlapping hubs, multiple fleet types for the same mission (even after a fleet simplification which drew then end of service of B727's, DC-9's, F100s, F28s, and MD-80's...), overpriced high cost HQ (compared to AMR and LUV in relatively low-rent DFW area, Continental in relatively low-rent Houston, and America West in relatively low-rent Phoenix), brand new and expensive prime location facilities which are under utilized (BOS, LGA, and DCA terminals were not designed for squadrons of regional jets), etc, etc, etc.

I think a version of the final set of charts for US Airways would have been facinating. I am a bit surprised that Unisys did not include, given the state of US Airways, but perhaps they felt now is not the time to persist on US Airways trouble. This scorecard seemed very poignent, thoughtful, well-balanced, and informative. Unisys' work here is very, very good, with my only complaint being the omission of US Airways (afterall, Alaska is hardly low-cost). It would be interesting to see where US Airways is now, compared to where they predict Southwest is going... Particularly if we could refer back to it in 20 years...

Latest posts