United-air China Agreement

ZMAN777

Advanced
Aug 23, 2002
www.usaviation.com
News Flash: United - Air China have just announced an agreement to codeshare and joint marketing. Looks as if China's largest carrier doesn't agree with Chip's analysis or the opinions of U's COB and they certainly aren't calling Crystal City to see what the guru's up there have to say.

Can anyone spell "increasing revenue's"?

Cheers,

Z B)

Hey, ZMAN, how goes it? :D

I think this is great news for United and another indication that the carrier is on the right track to emerge from bankruptcy next year, supported in a significant way by increased traffic and revenues seen on Transpacific flights. From various news reports that I have seen recently, Asia-Pacific traffic is returning with a vengence, which might help United's 3rd and 4th quarter results surpass the recent ATA average forecast for U.S. carriers. :up:

Keep up the good work!

Cosmo said:
Hey, ZMAN, how goes it? :D

I think this is great news for United and another indication that the carrier is on the right track to emerge from bankruptcy next year, supported in a significant way by increased traffic and revenues seen on Transpacific flights. From various news reports that I have seen recently, Asia-Pacific traffic is returning with a vengence, which might help United's 3rd and 4th quarter results surpass the recent ATA average forecast for U.S. carriers. :up:

Keep up the good work!
This is interesting stuff as Aviation Daily was reporting Air China as stating that it really wasn't interested in any alliances - certainly not any alliances with any of the mega global groups. Can't always believe what you read.

Anyhow, I like this news since I'm going to China every 5 - 6 weeks at this point.

ITRADE said:
Anyhow, I like this news since I'm going to China every 5 - 6 weeks at this point.
So you're the reason Transpacific traffic is rebounding so strongly! :lol:

ITRADE said:
Actually, we've racked up 7 C class tickets to-from China in the past 2 months. That should be healthy chunk of revenue.
ITRADE,

Thanks for your patronage. A good number of UAL's Pacific routes will be returning to 747-400 service later this Fall. Just curious if you, as a regular business traveler aboard UAL, have an aircraft preference.

Thanks again. I hope we're meeting and exceeding your expectations and needs.

Cheers,

Z B)

ZMAN777 said:
ITRADE,

Thanks for your patronage. A good number of UAL's Pacific routes will be returning to 747-400 service later this Fall. Just curious if you, as a regular business traveler aboard UAL, have an aircraft preference.
Good question as my PEK-ORD flight was the first flight ever in the 777. It was quite an amazing aircraft.

All of my other UA transpacs have been 747-400s. Unfortunately, every time I take the 744, I've been unable to get a really desirable seat in the upper deck. As a result, I usually go for 24G or 24H.

The 777 flight was in 9A which was a fantastic seat - albeit a bit noisy on takeoff. The forward cabin in the 777 is, as a whole, extremely quiet and comfy. The overheads are enormous.

In talking to one of the FAs, I heard that UAL may be returning a good number of their long range 777s and bring out some extra 744s from storage. Don't know it its true or not.

Either way, I thought the service and layout was fine. Personally, I could go with either aircraft. If I was being paranoid, I might lean towards the 744 - in light of the fact that it has the 4 engines. The "Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim" has entered my mind from time to time.

On another note, I might underscore to everybody what the UA-US hook-up has meant for both carriers. I was usually a fan of AA for my long-range flying and would likely have taken a combo of AA/CX/JL to get over to China (I easily could have done IAD-LAX-NRT-PVG). However, since UA and US are paired up, the decision was an easy one to make. I even convinced one of the partners to not fly NW to PVG.

ITRADE,

Great to hear you've made the switch to UAL for your Trans-Pac flights. Also nice to hear you're pleased with our service and aircraft. Currently UAL is negotiating lease rates on the 777 aircraft, the 747's having been completed (at very favorable rates I might add). The balance of the fleet has largely been taken care of save for some 320's and some of the aforementioned 777's.

Suffice to say, we'll carry you in comfort and safety in either aircraft. I've been flying the 777 for 7+ years now and have nothing but praise for it's maintenance record and engine reliability. Thanks again for choosing United. Feel free to come up and visit the cockpit prior to pushback sometime. The crew's relish the opportunity to show off the latest Boeing has to offer. I think you'll be impressed.

Cheers,

Z B)