United Airlines Reduces Business Fares With Discounts Up To 40% Off Unrestricted, Refundable Coach F

KCFlyer-

I think what the previous person meant was that AA, DL, CO and other carriers will more than likely give UA's Mileage Plus elite members equivalent status in their own programs should UA liquidate.

They will NOT, however, give them an account with the same number of miles in it that they held at UA. This would be a ELITE STATUS match only, not giving away mileage.

Tango-Bravo-

Recently, someone added a bit of humor to the board, saying that the airlines' advertising was equivalent to a car dealership putting this ad out:

NEW 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ, JUST $10,000!*

* per door, four-door purchase required.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/7/2003 2:04:44 PM KCFlyer wrote:

Which airline would be that "one pilot error crash every two years".
----------------
[/blockquote]

You guys don't get the newspaper in MCI? Sorry for overlooking the RT disclaimer. BTW, what are SWA's fare's for the same non-stop segments?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/7/2003 2:37:13 PM whatkindoffreshhell wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/7/2003 2:26:41 PM N305AS wrote:

I think what the previous person meant was that AA, DL, CO and other carriers will more than likely give UA's Mileage Plus elite members equivalent status in their own programs should UA liquidate.

----------------
[/blockquote]

UA's best customers are right now being lured by the competition. These clients are easy enough to identify.

Why would you think these competitors would wait for a liquidation? Besides, UA ain't going nowhere.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Yes, many carriers ARE currently awarding matching Elite status levels to UA members, but it's not really being publicized.

If UA were to liquidate, that's when all the carriers would publicize it en-masse to try and gain the lion's share of UA's valuable business travelers.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/7/2003 2:26:41 PM N305AS wrote:

They will NOT, however, give them an account with the same number of miles in it that they held at UA. This would be a ELITE STATUS match only, not giving away mileage.

----------------
[/blockquote]

No, I'd be willing to bet they'd give you milage credit if they had to. Most REAL FF's don't just accrue forever, they actually take trips and upgrade often (since they'll be getting more miles next week anyway), so the cost would be MAYBE a couple upgrades or a free trip or two to Disney. i think you can still transfer UAL and DAL miles back and forth. If you were the boss would you give a 100k per year travelor a "free" trip to HNL to get his business for the next 20 years?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/6/2003 11:55:52 PM Busdrvr wrote:

PEOPLE BUY THE CHEAPEST TICKETS! ...

----------------
[/blockquote]

If this is so then why bother publishing those extravagant $2,000 cross country fares?

Customers are relentlessly driven to the lowest fare by the airlines themselves. Who then complain that we took them up on it...

OA's have ALWAYS matched elite levels with other carriers. UA matches oa's elite levels too. Good lord this isin't news. Anyone can request a status comp. They send in a copy of their most recent mileage program statement, showing the status, and MP sends em back a shiny new Premier Exec card.

----------------[BR]On 1/7/2003 5:51:07 PM Busdrvr wrote: [BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/7/2003 2:04:44 PM KCFlyer wrote: [BR][BR]Which airline would be that "one pilot error crash every two years".[BR]----------------[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]You guys don't get the newspaper in MCI? Sorry for overlooking the RT disclaimer. BTW, what are SWA's fare's for the same non-stop segments? [BR][BR]---------------- [BR][BR]Yes we get the papers in KC. I haven't seen any pilot error accidents reported this year or last year...and that was a two year time span. When I did a 10 year query for all air carrier "accidents" on the NTSB database, the ones that kept popping up the most were NWA and Delta. Should I avoid them? In honor of you, I have changed my signature for a while.

KC, check your PM's. Just curious, would you use a coupon to get a discount (or pick a doctor) to do Lasiks on you? You need to start expecting MORE of your flight crews. If a doctor injured a loved one because he was in a great big hurry (save you a few bucks on O.R. charges) would you say "there but for ......" Or would you be ******!. What if you found out he had lots of previous "incidents" and your HMO hired him anyway (because he's cheap)? as long a people are involved, there WILL be accidents, but you should NEVER except it when people INTENTIONALLY disobey the most basic of rules, or when a company knowingly hires less the the most qualified individuals because the less desireables are cheaper

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/7/2003 6:08:22 PM TomBascom wrote:

If this is so then why bother publishing those extravagant $2,000 cross country fares?

Customers are relentlessly driven to the lowest fare by the airlines themselves. Who then complain that we took them up on it...
----------------
[/blockquote]

Sometimes that 2K fare IS the cheapest. As for high fares, UAL went to it's best customers a few years ago and asked what THEY wanted. THEY wanted more room and special service. They really don't care if UAL is a little more expensive. Unfortunately, THEY usually don't buy the tickets, their companies do, and the airlines were a GREAT place in most beancounters minds to cut corporate travel costs. Does a consultant making $300 an hour want to spend a couple extra hours traveling to a job on a "low fare" carrier? Of course not! Currently he doesn't have much say. as the economy recovers, I think there will be a mild business trav revolt that will result in more pax on the majors, and I think the majors are making an attempt to bring cost down to a level that will help make it happen.

So BusDrvr, I take it, all the "great" pilots are at UAL?

I should mention, that Astronaut Hoot Gibson, who flew the shuttle five times are employed at none other than SWA. I have little doubt, that he is a "pilot extraordinaire".

The OAL bad, UAL good rhetoric is getting a bit lame, IMHO.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/8/2003 9:31:12 AM Diesel8 wrote:

The OAL bad, UAL good rhetoric is getting a bit lame, IMHO.
----------------
[/blockquote]

BTW, do you think 4 pilot error hull losses in less than 10 years is acceptable? Just wondering what you consider "safe" and "normal". I never mentioned any other specific Airline, and KC missed the mark (I often fly DAL and consider them one of the "elite").

I really haven't missed the mark busdriver. I used to fly Delta a lot - especially in the mid to late 80's when they had a rash of accidents and "mishaps". All I was saying is that a 10 year query on the NTSB showed Delta and NWA with a higher number of "accidents" than any of the others. Soley using that info, one would have to conclude that picking someone else might be a "safer" choice.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/8/2003 9:31:12 AM Diesel8 wrote:

So BusDrvr, I take it, all the "great" pilots are at UAL?

I should mention, that Astronaut Hoot Gibson, who flew the shuttle five times are employed at none other than SWA. I have little doubt, that he is a "pilot extraordinaire".

----------------
[/blockquote]

When did I say "all" the good pilots were at UAL? When did I say SWA's pilots weren't good? Since you mentioned SWA, did they hire you or any other Jblu pilot you know? How does getting shot into space with a rocket tied to your *** make you a good pilot? SWA has an OUTSTANDING group of pilots. They are prob second to only UAL

Well, as far as I know, we do have a couple of pilots who left the Majors to come here, that is left by their own choice, not because they were furloughed.

I turned down U and I am certainly qualified and have plenty of experience, no violations, no busted rides. Typeratings, Heavy time, International experience, so on and so forth. Good recommendations from all previous employers, supervisors and fellow co workers.

At the time, I felt that there were better and more interesting opportunities elsewhere.

Not sure the pilots of AA will agree with your statement concerning UAL, but then again that is to be expected. Nor should you expect to find any other OAL pilot that agrees with your view, but I feel you should be leery of slamming them. Who knows, perhaps UAL has some incidents, that could potentially be cast in a bad light. I will refrain from mentioning any, since that would not be conducive to a reasonable discussion.

If your frustration comes out of the fact, that things are bad at UAL, I can perhaps understand it, but I cannot condone or agree with your view of OAL pilots. I am sure you can understand that, after all, we are both professionals who take pride in our jobs, regardless of what name or number is on our respective paychecks!

"I turned down U and I am certainly qualified and have plenty of experience, no violations, no busted rides. Typeratings, Heavy time, International experience, so on and so forth. Good recommendations from all previous employers, supervisors and fellow co workers."

Fair enough, that's one