United Alerts 36K (45%) Of Employees of Potential Layoffs

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Wow! That's way more than AA said, and doesn't United have less employees than AA?
Could it be the airlines way to beg for gov. help for an extension to be done for the Payroll Protection Program? This definitely is screaming for help to me. I sure hope they vote for the extension or the economy will really start tanking. Would be bad right before an election is due, but of course the dems will want the economy to crash even worse just to try and make Trump look bad. C'mon leaders, let's vote for the extension and help save the economy from tanking any worse than it is from this C-19 pandemic.
I wish everyone the best of luck, as we all know it gonna get really rough this fall. Godspeed to all of us...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/united-airlines-alerts-36k-workers-121912313.html

Getting a WARN letter isn’t the same as a furlough notice. It’s a legal requirement and I’d guess the overshot the actual cutoff point just in case things get worse during the next 90 days.

I think I've received three of them, two related to upcoming strikes and one for 9/11. Still expect to get one from my current employer as a way of hedging bets, but haven't seen it yet.

Boyd is looking at it in a more positive way with his explanations in the video below. I am in agreement with him, after some take the retirement and leaves, along with the picking up of passengers flying by years end, maybe it really could shrink the numbers down towards the 10-15% at the larger airlines. Still always in hopes that SWA might be able to avoid any involuntary leaves and JetBlue has said they may not have to layoff any as well, dependant on return of passengers by years end. Boyd seems pretty darn positive that they will never get to the 36,000 in total, but just wants to cover themselves in case another breakout comes with added restrictions.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/sound-management-aviation-forecaster-united-155722177.html

And now United is extending time for employees to sign up for exit packages and or leaves. They say it's while they are waiting on the congress move towards an extension. Could it really be the fact that maybe they don't like the low turnout of employees taking them? It would seem to me that the leaves have nothing to do with the extension, as the extension is what will affect the layoffs, not the folks taking exots or leaves on a voluntary basis. But, hey, at least they extended it a bit and maybe some fence sitters might pull the trigger. I think United went to Aug 10th and AA went to Aug 5th for the cutoff time for the packages.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-gives-employees-longer-decide-010200188.html

In total, the numbers are low (due to the lack of money in any package), but they have been trying to get creative in their offers with the health care option. Some are also waiting for the last minute to see if a better offer comes up. I know in my work group, I know a lot of people are leaving, and some are on some sort of COLA. But is only what I can see in my own station / hub. And I think that some will take the new package that the company and the IAM is proposing. And I don't see any government help coming. So I think that management is taking a doomsday / worst case sort of approach to all of this. Which is smart. I saw that coming when the company told us that 11,000 in our department (AO) would be affected, while the IAM said that a little over 12,000 would be getting WARN letters and possibly be afffected.

In my opinion, there will be furloughs, but I don't think it will be nearly 36,000.

Could it really be the fact that maybe they don't like the low turnout of employees taking them?

My opinion is that they don't care about the turnout. Those who want to go can go, and from there it's going to be a series of business decisions.

United also apparently allowed some people rescind their voluntary separation if they chose to leave based on the impending 10/1 layoffs.

In total, the numbers are low (due to the lack of money in any package), but they have been trying to get creative in their offers with the health care option. Some are also waiting for the last minute to see if a better offer comes up. I know in my work group, I know a lot of people are leaving, and some are on some sort of COLA. But is only what I can see in my own station / hub. And I think that some will take the new package that the company and the IAM is proposing. And I don't see any government help coming. So I think that management is taking a doomsday / worst case sort of approach to all of this. Which is smart. I saw that coming when the company told us that 11,000 in our department (AO) would be affected, while the IAM said that a little over 12,000 would be getting WARN letters and possibly be afffected.

In my opinion, there will be furloughs, but I don't think it will be nearly 36,000.
May I ask what the money offer was in your packages? I believe American was something like 17 weeks plus 25K. Some are calling it 6 months pay in total. Now if United really wanted to get a great deal more to take it they would offer at least 75% or 100% of a years salary.
Also did United offer different work groups different packages or was it across the board the same for all employees?

If the Dems couldn't negotiate something as straight forward and more substantial such as an unemployment benefits or PPP extensions, I wouldn't hold your breath on them coming to a deal in the next 32 days to benefit the sliver of the economy that airline employees make up.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Senate sees letting Trump's $400 end-run on unemployment staying in effect as a better choice between now and November.

According to Dallas Morning News, United pulled the layoff trigger. Here are the numbers..
6,920 flight attendants
2850 pilots
1400 management and administrative workers.
Layoffs will be effective October 1.

If you don't agree with these numbers and/or dates, take it up with Dallas Morning News.

Edit correction: 9pm, 9/3/20...The number 6920 is the number of flight attendants being furloughed. I failed to enter that information in the first posting.

I'm hearing flight attendant seniority goes to early 2012 dates of hire.

Other numbers per a FB group I'm in: TechOps 2000, contact centers 400, airports 2200, dispatch/load control 180.

Management folks were told in July their positions were eliminated, and went on pre-separation leaves (paid but already turned in their company issued equipment and network/building access revoked).

According to Dallas Morning News, United pulled the layoff trigger. Here are the numbers..
6,920 flight attendants
2850 pilots
1400 management and administrative workers.
Layoffs will be effective October 1.

If you don't agree with these numbers and/or dates, take it up with Dallas Morning News.

Edit correction: 9pm, 9/3/20...The number 6920 is the number of flight attendants being furloughed. I failed to enter that information in the first posting.
Let's hope Pelosi pulls her head out and comes to an agreement for an extension.

This just came out. Great to hear they have a deal to avoid layoffs, but would love to know the details of the agreement. The question now is; Is United going to talk with F/S's and Mechanics unions for an agreement to avoid layoffs in their groups?
Still in hopes of an extension coming soon, not much time left only 3 weeks exactly until Oct 1st.
Now here brings a second question; With the recent agreements at some carriers to avoid layoffs, will they still going by the agreements IF an extension is passed and the airlines get PPP relief aid again?? I would think the Pilots were smart enough to think about that in case a deal for an extension comes after they all sign an agreement of some sort. Interesting thought though, huh???

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/8eb5e88...m_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article&yptr=yahoo