United Express Idiot

Boeingguy

Nov 22, 2002
A Untied Express CRJ with the BHM to ORD route on the morning of June 10 left behind 6 full fare paying passengers, baggage and perhaps frieght all because of a ridiculous decision of the Captain. I happen to know that this flight was dispatched with plenty of fuel to ORD, plus the alternate, plus required reserves, and even then some, but the Captain decided to put on 8,000 more lbs of fuel -- totally overkill and ridiculius. Ok, the weather in ORD wasn't great so put on a even a little more fuel if ya want, but the amount he wanted on was absurd and it cost his company money and goodwill. The flight easily could have taken all the pasengers and baggage and had PLENTY of fuel. These 6 people thought it was totally ridiculous to be told they couldn't get on because of a weight restriction. This did little to endear these people to UAL or RJs in general and the thing was, it was totally unnecessary because this Captain was so frightened and unsure of his abilities. I overheard some of the people denied boarding say that would take a SWA 737 to/from MDW from now on.

This "Captain" if you want to call him that, should be called on the carpet to explain himself to his Chief Pilot.

Boeingguy said:
I overheard some of the people denied boarding say that would take a SWA 737 to/from MDW from now on.
Ah yes, the usual response. Like WN never has any sort of problem, denied boarding, lost buggage, etc. Sure.

An extra 8000lbs of fuel sounds a little fishy to me...if it's a CRJ, the thing only holds about 14500lbs total....that would mean they dispatched the flight with 6500lbs...considering the flight segment (I'm guesstimating) is about 1+30, they would need a min fuel at take off of about 7000lbs without an alternate!!!

Simple math tells you an extra 8000lbs the Captain supposedly put on would be more than the little thing holds!!!! HHHHMMMMM.....I would suggest getting your facts straight!!!

Passengers weigh 190 pounds each. Multiply that by 6 and you get 1140 pounds. If (which I highly doubt) the captain put on an EXTRA 8000 pounds of fuel then you would have to bump close to 40 passengers. My sneaking suspicion is the original poster is trying to make someone look bad with as little truth as possible. smfav8r summed it up pretty well.

Boeingguy,
Do you know if the Captain was on high mins? Do you know if the A/C had any MEL's? Do you know the MX history of the A/C?