United Finds $100 Million For Bonuses

Wow $222 for your groups bonus. In rez its a whopping 88 dollars for the quarter. Thats factoring in the 14.2 minutes of personal time a day. The 26 seconds between phone calls max. The no more than 3 percent of total time reading mandatory briefings and other mandatory info. Any deviation from these numbers affects your productivity and you will be disciplined for it. Any deviation also shows up on every supervisors screen so if a supervisor doesnt speak to you the operations center will since they get a phone call from chicago wondering why you arent working. Don't forget when you are working and being monitiored every keystroke is being flashed on the supervisors screen.

These stats are under review every year and are predicted to go lower so agents can go even faster never mind the fact half your time you are waiting for your screen to move since the machine locks up continuously. My favorite is when management came around to ask agents if they want to go to India or Canada to help train our replacements for the good of the company and the excellent learning opportunity. Also the help train the computer VRU for reservations so the computer (SIMON) can book reservations without speaking to a person. By the way we don't know if your office will close or not but if we did we wouldnt tell you because you wouldnt come in and we cant handle all those calls like what happened in California when they closed.

Yup, lots of trust in management under these conditions.
:unsure:

olyinaz said:
This is typical of the sort of BS the press, especially the rag quoted in my opinion, likes to do: Titillate to sell copy. The headline is pure BULL S--T.

The TRUTH is that management employees have ALWAYS...well, for as long as any of us have worked there that is...had up to 40% of their compensation "at risk". It's been done that way to incentivise and prod. Fine or not, to insinuate that UAL had to "find" the money to fund a program that they've always had is horse crap. And given the stresses of running a company in bankruptcy on top of the excellent, often industry leading performance as ranked among their peers, it's very easy to argue that these "management" employees (which really means the non-union people in the trenches - NOT the corporate royalty) deserve a standard or even above standard "bonus" on top of their base pay (that they have taken hits on just like everyone else.)

The trashy article tries to focus on Tilton and his cronies (there are only 7 top directors of the firm that fall completely under the "corporate royalty" umbrella), but that is NOT whom the $100M (or however much it really is - I don't trust Chicago Bidness' fact checking for squat) predominantly goes to. It goes to regular Joe working stiffs, like the local managers at each station and in each set of cubicles at WHQ, as well as all of the union employees these days. And Tilton is the one who insisted that ALL of the employees be added to the program!

Also, the 5% quoted is inaccurate BS as well(shocked, I'm shocked I tell you). The pilots had as much as 10% of their compensation "at risk" under this program, and it's certainly possible that plenty of other groups did too. Sure, those targets were hard to hit, but if UAL came out of BK and started posting excellent results they WOULD have hit them. If you add the 10% to the possible profit sharing payouts (That Tilton also insisted on!) then you could be looking at 15-20% of total compensation being paid out to LINE employees on an annual bonus basis! That's serious money folks.

Of course, labor relations being what they are at United, the employees have never trusted management not to set the goals so high that they would never pay out that well. And I think it's that sort of piss poor relationship between management and labor at United (left over from the bad old days) that is leading to some of the unions negotiating away a possible 10% get for a FOR SURE 2 or 3% lesser cut in pay. Bird in the hand and all that...

Whatever, short of it: Don't believe ANYTHING you read in ChitownBidness.com.
[post="239768"][/post]​

Reading these type of articles always generates a picture in my mind of management sitting in a life boat telling the employees in the shark infested water to push them to shore because everyone is in the same situation.

Latest posts

Back