United Mechanics vote on new contract extensio

SWAMECH

Veteran
Apr 26, 2005
A bunch of contract extensions being thrown around the airline industry. United's Mechanics included now. We await the meat of the new agreement.

A bunch of contract extensions being thrown around the airline industry. United's Mechanics included now. We await the meat of the new agreement.

Swamp I already posted all those links. The reality is simple. The IBT blew AMFA out of the water by not only gaining higher overall pay but adding 5 lines of Heavy Maintenance in House. That means UAL is matching AA by bringing more maintenance in House while SWA still leaves you hanging by outsourcing.

Reactions: JimmyBop
For those who don’t want to read the information in the other thread here are the links to the agreement. And obviously the UAL Mechanics who this deal belongs to like it because they passed it by just under 70% to 30%. A solid yes.

Well, it's a solid yes for the 75% of people who voted.

Mathematically only 52% felt strongly enough about it to actually cast a Yes ballot. 22% felt strongly enough to vote No. 25% apparently didn't care enough either way to show up.

Mathematically only 52% felt strongly enough about it to actually cast a Yes ballot. 22% felt strongly enough to vote No. 25% apparently didn't care enough either way to show up.

That unfortunately sounds to me like it’s pretty much back to normal for all groups below the Pilots. People are pretty much apathetic about everything besides the newest Marvel Superhero Movie today.

Correct. Not a huge passing % for sure. 52% of the folks who voted was a yes vote. That's why I am very curious to the meat of the contract.
This low of a passage would also quite possibly keep the strong card drive still going to replace the teamsters as well. The big question(s) of the day is, "what did they give up?" and what was exchanged for those 5 lines of maint and what are they in reality as far as work in house.
I will say that with this contract they "caught" up to the rest of the industry, FOR NOW. UAL has been behind the industry for years. While this one finally catches them up (at least in pay) the rest of the industry will again surpass them this year and next as usual.
Those turn out numbers are usually the norm when represented by the teamsters. They really leave the membership in the dark for most all of the nego's process. One of the many big reasons we replaced them here.

Correct. Not a huge passing % for sure. 52% of the folks who voted was a yes vote. That's why I am very curious to the meat of the contract.
This low of a passage would also quite possibly keep the strong card drive still going to replace the teamsters as well. The big question(s) of the day is, "what did they give up?" and what was exchanged for those 5 lines of maint and what are they in reality as far as work in house.
I will say that with this contract they "caught" up to the rest of the industry, FOR NOW. UAL has been behind the industry for years. While this one finally catches them up (at least in pay) the rest of the industry will again surpass them this year and next as usual.
Those turn out numbers are usually the norm when represented by the teamsters. They really leave the membership in the dark for most all of the nego's process. One of the many big reasons we replaced them here.
At least they didn’t take seven years and they brought work in-house, unlike SCAMFA who didn’t bring in any work and paid for their own raises by allowing foreign outsourcing of heavy maintenance.

Andthe language and changes are posted.

Reactions: JimmyBop
Effective Jan 1 so we get a little retro caught up on Feb 23 paychecks. It is 60.25 hr for dayshift not counting the 1.20 per hr veba we get for 40 hrs a week . swing shift diff is .51, mids is .58. The top out went up $6.94 and we got $1.17 in December 2023 on a supposed industry reset.

Starting pay goes up around 20% to $36 ish.

2 year extension, negos resume Dec 2023. It has a 50 cent increase Jan 2024.

I think the only reason this happened is the company wanted to increase the starting pay to attract new hires since they said they want to hire 7000 techs in the next 4 ish years. If not for the mechanic shortage it probably would have been 6 years late like the last one.

The previous just became amenable in Dec 2023.

Oh and the mechs are getting a profit sharing check percentage this month of .839 % LOL yes 8 tenths of a percent.

Last edited:
Hey D.
I foresee our starting pay increasing as well, this next time around.
And yes, when the co needs something quick, it's amazing how fast they are able to get it isn't it?
We are expecting a huge hit in our PS checks also from that fiasco end of year trick.
Any info on the Mechanics wanting to replace the teamsters?? Will this extension slow that drive a little???

Effective Jan 1 so we get a little retro caught up on Feb 23 paychecks. It is 60.25 hr for dayshift not counting the 1.20 per hr veba we get for 40 hrs a week . swing shift diff is .51, mids is .58. The top out went up $6.94 and we got $1.17 in December 2023 on a supposed industry reset.

Starting pay goes up around 20% to $36 ish.

2 year extension, negos resume Dec 2023. It has a 50 cent increase Jan 2024.

I think the only reason this happened is the company wanted to increase the starting pay to attract new hires since they said they want to hire 7000 techs in the next 4 ish years. If not for the mechanic shortage it probably would have been 6 years late like the last one.

The previous just became amenable in Dec 2023.

Oh and the mechs are getting a profit sharing check percentage this month of .839 % LOL yes 8 tenths of a percent.

I’m not sure any of us in the Industry should be looking basically a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to Profit Sharing since we weren’t even forecast to return to profitability till 2024. But do you even have PS language in your contract?

The IAM/TWU Association negotiated the PS formula that Delta gives to its employees in 2020 before the Pandemic. Right now no one else at the Airline has that formula in their contracts. But it is being offered once new deals are signed.

Anyway you cut it though congratulations on your extension and good luck with your full negotiations when they start.

21F5E098-3511-41B3-AC12-3AF5CF76E290.jpeg

speaking of profit sharing...i believe that assoc. members at aa will get a fairly good (relative to aa) profit sharing check - come june. my local is telling me that the 2022 profit sharing time frame is april 1, 2022-march 31, 2023.

timing is everything, aa lost $1.8 billion in 1q '22. that quarter doesn't count. aa made profits in q2 '22, q3 '22 and q4 '22. pre-tax profits for those 3 quarters look to be close to $1.8 billion. q1 '23 guidance is break-even.

if aa breaks even in q1 '23, 10% of $1.8 billion will go to assoc. members. $180 million.

united is paying their employees .08%, or, $8 for every $1,000 a united employee earned in 2022. delta has $580 million socked away for 2022 profit sharing checks for all their employees. i believe those checks are will be distributed on valentine's day 2023.

in regards to aa, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

At UA I heard the pilots PS this year is 1.67% and flight atts 3% and I think ramp is .839 like maint. Mechs used to get the same formula as the pilots but teamster gave that away in the 2016 deal.

speaking of profit sharing...i believe that assoc. members at aa will get a fairly good (relative to aa) profit sharing check - come june. my local is telling me that the 2022 profit sharing time frame is april 1, 2022-march 31, 2023.

timing is everything, aa lost $1.8 billion in 1q '22. that quarter doesn't count. aa made profits in q2 '22, q3 '22 and q4 '22. pre-tax profits for those 3 quarters look to be close to $1.8 billion. q1 '23 guidance is break-even.

if aa breaks even in q1 '23, 10% of $1.8 billion will go to assoc. members. $180 million.

united is paying their employees .08%, or, $8 for every $1,000 a united employee earned in 2022. delta has $580 million socked away for 2022 profit sharing checks for all their employees. i believe those checks are will be distributed on valentine's day 2023.

in regards to aa, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Hey Crema been a long time. Don’t forget though the Association has over 30,000 members they need to share that kitty with. Company forecast is to break even in this first quarter so that $180 Mil is likely it for our cut.

At UA I heard the pilots PS this year is 1.67% and flight atts 3% and I think ramp is .839 like maint. Mechs used to get the same formula as the pilots but teamster gave that away in the 2016 deal.

I just looked up the AFA Contract at UAL and your FA’s have a 10% and even 20% formula that’s probably going to make them a killing next year. Don’t know about the Pilots because they usually keep their contracts from public view.

846419A3-1ECD-4360-8443-C8576BBB34EF.jpeg