United Outsources More Work!

Checking it Out said:
Reuters
Pratt & Whitney wins $2 bln United Air engine contract
Thursday January 29, 9:26 am ET

NEW YORK, Jan 29 (Reuters) - Pratt & Whitney, the engine making unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX - News) on Thursday said it won a $2 billion contract to support a fleet management program for UAL's (OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News) United Airlines.
The 10-year deal, the largest aftermarket agreement in Pratt & Whitney's history, covers more than 300 installed and spare engines that power the Airbus 319 and A320 planes.

Looks like more Layoffs coming to a amfa Airline near you?????
:rolleyes:

The fact is that the overhaul for the IAE V2500 (PW2500) was ‘NEVER’ performed in house.
This work was under the watchful eye of the IAM from 1993-2003.
Whom should you blame (If anyone)?

But please, don’t let a little fact get in your way (it never has before).
BTW, who was your bargaining agent when half of your avionics shop was outsourced to Collins?
Hear that didn’t work out so well.

Credibility Suicide - One post at a time!!!
CIO = Credibility Isn’t Obligatory

Dear TWU(mis)informer,
It’s beyond “normal†not to be able to see what the AMFA has done to (not for) more than 10,000 mechanic and related personnel across the country in the past few years and claim “no accountabilityâ€. Not surprisingly now you claim that the engine work at United was lost due to the IAM. Even the mechanics (that are still employed) at United will tell you that AMFA organizers were reeking havoc all over that facility during the time that the IAM successfully negotiated a restructuring agreement that would have saved the current outsourced engine work, provided for smaller wage concessions and kept the company out of bankruptcy. They were preaching the very same bologna that you and your kool-aid sipping saps were (and continue to) preaching here at American. You know well those familiar AMFA sayings, “full pay till the last day†and “ better off in bankruptcyâ€. It’s easy to say what you “will do†or what someone “should’ve done†but now AMFA has a track record that they (and you) must live with. You boys can’t hide from the fact that almost every where AMFA has gone, major job loss and devastating outsourcing have been the result. Now you have failed once again to protect work! 2 billion dollars worth of it, can you imagine what would happen to any other union that allowed that to happen? They would be gone and so should AMFA!! The fact is this, your boys supported a “no†vote that sent United into bankruptcy exactly the way you tried to do here. Unfortunately for the United mechanics, they trusted AMFA when you told them “AMFA can do betterâ€. Well, as your own leader says, “the proof is in the puddingâ€. United is more than 6,000 M&R members shorter and the majority of their work is being outsourced. And here at American under the TWU, the company posted a 1million dollar profit last quarter, far less lay-offs have occurred (15% vs. 50%), and our outsourcing numbers have decreased to 19.9%. If you would’ve had it your way, we’d have ended up just like United, in bankruptcy and losing our work and people. So let’s not mince words, let’s compare the facts and who is better off, Dave. And here’s a little advise, maybe you should just lay-off the “kool-aid†because you just never know, next time AMFA might be petitioning the NMB to have “welders†exempt from the craft and class! Dave, what I know with dead certainty is this, if AMFA ever got in at American multiple bases would be closed, work would be outsourced, and lay-offs would sky rocket and AMFA would blame the industrial unions! That is why we will fight you with everything we have, because our livelihoods depend on it.

And had we gone into bankruptcy I'd bet my last dollar that Title II would have been the hardest hit and outsourced. Dave, you could vote yourself right out of a job, has that thought ever crossed your mind?

Also, what part of amfa's history after they have taken over an airline drives your desire? Is it seeing your brothers standing proud, in the unemployment line? Tell me a couple of items Dave without laying blame on the previous union's contract.

Seguro said:
And had we gone into bankruptcy I'd bet my last dollar that Title II would have been the hardest hit and outsourced. Dave, you could vote yourself right out of a job, has that thought ever crossed your mind?
Dave, your back to title 2 again, feel free to bid the title 2 system for jobs.

Another great twu moment, "I support this union, just don't know any of its history or the contract."

Also, what part of amfa's history after they have taken over an airline drives your desire? Is it seeing your brothers standing proud, in the unemployment line? Tell me a couple of items Dave without laying blame on the previous union's contract

Without laying blame on the previous unions contract..................We would have to discuss an Airline that has an AMFA negotiated contract. Northwest I assume is where you're going with this. They negotiated contract language that gives them an opportunity to defend their members properly. What would we do at AA if the same thing happened to us?? Nothing.............absolutely nothing!! We are nothing more than one bad relationship away from losing all of our work!! It's time for some back-up like "LANGUAGE FIRST". It's just a matter of time before the twu cannot provide what the company asks, then it's total decimation at the companies leisure. I'm sure the Mechs at NWA thank their lucky stars they don't have our contract!!
Northwests problem is not the AMFA, it is nothing more than corporate greed!!
Here's to the twu.......
1/2 pay for the first two sick days...
Cheers..
Local 12 associate member.

Jake,

First of all read this:
/index.php...?showtopic=8924
Then read this:
http://www.planedoctor.com/pd/modules.php?...=viewtopic&t=70
And This:
http://www.planedoctor.com/pd/modules.php?...er=asc&start=15
Then This:
http://www.businessweek.com/2000/00_12/b3673128.htm
And This:
http://www.businessweek.com/2001/01_02/c3714064.htm

Here are some lies for to make you ‘feel good’:
http://www.goiam.org/news.asp?c=4094

Hope that gives you a little insight into the UAL SitRep.
You probably will not read all of this so I’ll give you a short recap:

UAL ESOP:
1. IAM negotiated a 44 week severance for the kitchen workers (as their work was already sold by the Wolf) if they voted in favor of the ESOP. (Duh, how would you vote?)
2. ESOP consisted of concessionary wages in return for UAL Stock (at an inflated price- $125 per share+- ; I believe).
3. IAM Members sought to vote in their BOD Rep but was informed of the ‘Golden Vote’ rule (Those that have the Gold – Vote!!) ergo – Peterpaul was ‘appointed’ to represent us in a totally dictatorial fashion.
( Can’t divulge information – Company policy you understand).
(Bite me Peterpaul/IAM Part I)!!!
4. After 8 years of a concessionary contract, we were all looking forward to the reward that was promised (Industry Leading Contract).
Guess what happened!!! (Pick One!!!)
a. The Company realized its obligation and immediately offered an Industry Leading Contract.
b. Blew us ‘ALL’ off (Mech, Pilots, Related, etc…) except for the raises regarding ‘Management personnel under Vision 2000’ (What a Shock!!).
5. Summer of Love (Summer 2000) – Pilots upset that the promises were not kept did a ‘work to the rule’ thingy that finally got the attention of the BOD to settle with them, however, their vengeance choked the Golden Goose. Management was so focused on the USAir buyout and Avalar, that they agreed to unsustainable pay, benefits, and work rule increases just to get the Pilots ‘on board’.
6. Peterpaul was never ‘onboard’ with his constituents as he was a proponent/advocate of the USAir buyout and the ‘rank and file’ of UAL were ‘NOT’!!!
(Bite Me Peterpaul/IAM Part II)
7. After the 911 fiasco, everything fell apart.
Goodwin gave his ‘hemorrhaging money’ speech. No one liked it even thought it was factual.
If I were his speech writer I would have said:
’Dear Fellow United Airlines Owners,
We are faced with a situation that was beyond our control and could not forecast
such a dire impact on our industry. We as ‘Owners’ must step up to the plate once again
and make immediate (but short term) sacrifices to save our company. As a show of good
faith, management and salaried will take an immediate ‘across the board’ cancellation of the
‘Vision 2000’ pay increases and we implore the pilots to match our sacrifice by rolling back
their contract to previous levels. Will this be the last sacrifice that we have to make?
I am unsure on this as ‘WE’ have to keep our options open as this singular event may change
the operations of our business forever.â€
(But then again, we never had a leader).
8. Goodwin was out – Creighton was in. http://www.unitedairlines.de/press/pressro...1/us_1028a.html
9. Jack did not do Jack ####!!!
10. Since the IAM and UAL could not reach an amicable decision, the PEB was ‘imposed’ as the arbitrator.
11. The first ‘PEB I’ addressed how the IAM would influence (???) our pension and also contained wording that the ‘ATSB’ vote would be compulsory if all other parties agreed.
(This was voted down by the Membership)
12. The second ‘PEB II’ removed the compulsory ‘ATSB’ vote and allowed the ‘Membership’ to vote on the proposal (Novel Idea!!!), and also had the removal the IAM pension verbiage.
http://www.laborstandard.org/New_Postings/...anics_Mar12.htm
13. PEB II is voted in!!!
14. ATSB Vote I : After a year of Creighton’s inability/inaction to right the ship, The new CEO of UAL was announced = Glenn Tilton. As the ‘New Guy’ on the block, His immediate goal was to obtain ATSB financing to keep our Company out of BK. JMHO, given the time that He had, Glenn did a fair job at trying to get us together, unfortunately, He did not have the time to earn the respect that he need to pull this off.
ATSB I Failed by the IAM 141M Vote.
15. ATSB II : Glenn went on a ‘Road Show’ to convince the IAM 141M Mechanics and Related that the ATSB II ratification would save us from BK. However, before the vote, the ATSB announced that UAL’s proposal was not adequate.
16. Chapter 11:
The IAM was faced with concessionary proposals in the CH11 contract.
The proposals included (but are not limited to)
a. IMC and OAK Closure.
b. Push backs being performed by ‘IAM’ (Good Shot) personnel
c. Inspection of OSV to be performed by ‘IAM’ personnel
(How do you do that since we are AMFA?).
d. Read and Weep:
http://www.amfa9.org/documents/Restructuri...endment141M.pdf

Quote: ‘jake’:
‘Not surprisingly now you claim that the engine work at United was lost due to the IAM.’
Quote: ‘UAL_TECH’:
‘Yes, It was never the IAM’s, but it ‘SHOULD HAVE BEEN’!!!
/index.php...?showtopic=8924
“The fact is that the overhaul for the IAE V2500 (PW2500) was ‘NEVER’ performed in house.
This work was under the watchful eye of the IAM from 1993-2003.â€

Quote: ‘jake’:
“You know well those familiar AMFA sayings, “full pay till the last day†and “ better off in bankruptcyâ€.â€
Quote: ‘UAL_TECH’:
If you have ‘PROOF’ that this is an AMFA slogan, then please provide it.
To the best of my knowledge, we only have two slogans:
• Knowledge – Skill – Integrity
• Safety in the Air Begins with Quality Maintenance on the Ground

To be an ‘Unionist’ takes a calling of self sacrifice to enhance the profession.
Read some of Jack London and get back to me,

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/London/Writing...asses/scab.html

860-565-9600
Internet www.pw.utc.com

Pratt & Whitney Awarded $2 Billion United Airlines Fleet Management Program

EAST HARTFORD, Conn., January 29, 2004 --- United Airlines has awarded Pratt & Whitney a 10-year Fleet Management Program for the airline’s fleet of V2500-A5 engines. The Fleet Management Program with United Airlines is the largest aftermarket agreement in Pratt & Whitney history and has an estimated value of more than $2 billion USD.

The 10-year agreement includes two five-year options and covers over 300 installed and spare engines that power United Airlines’ Airbus A319 and A320 aircraft. Pratt & Whitney will provide maintenance services at its Columbus Engine Center in Columbus, Georgia.

“We are extremely pleased that United Airlines has chosen Pratt & Whitney to support its V2500-powered Airbus fleet,†said Pratt & Whitney President Louis R. Chênevert. “United Airlines and Pratt & Whitney have had a long and rewarding relationship for more than a half century and this fleet management program agreement demonstrates the success of that business partnership. We believe the Columbus Engine Center’s world-class competitive turnaround times and high quality maintenance services were key factors in the award of this agreement and we look forward to helping United Airlines create value with their V2500 maintenance.â€

“This agreement represents another important step forward in United’s restructuring efforts, and Pratt & Whitney’s commitment sends a strong message of their confidence in our turnaround plan,†said Rick Poulton, United’s senior vice president and chief procurement officer. “We are delighted with the cooperation between United and Pratt & Whitney in reaching a deal that both drives significant cost savings and reinforces United’s highest standards of quality and safety in engine maintenance.â€

The Columbus Engine Center is part of the Pratt & Whitney Aftermarket Services network, which offers overhaul and repair services at nearly 30 locations around the world. Columbus is a dedicated V2500 shop providing total maintenance and engine overhaul services.

The V2500 engines are manufactured by International Aero Engines, an international consortium in which Pratt & Whitney is a lead partner with Rolls-Royce. The other partners are Japanese Aero Engines and MTU Aero Engines.

Pratt & Whitney, a United Technologies Company (NYSE:UTX), is a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of aircraft engines, space propulsion systems and industrial gas turbines.

CIO,

You are one sad fellow.
Disinformation Manager.

Don't be afraid, Be 'PROUD'!!!

I am 'PROUD'!! to be AMFA!!!

What are you Proud of?

Proud to be TWU, Proud to Understand Amfa is not the way to go!

I have a hard time understanding the Me attitude of the amfa wantabes. NW and United 1992 and counting!!!!!! Lost forever with little or no hope to be recalled.

LATEST NEWS

January 28, 2003

Northwest Airlines closing four maintenance sites. Northwest Airlines, the world's fourth-largest airline, will be closing maintenance operations at four airports across the country.

Northwest is the Albuquerque International Sunport's eighth largest carrier.

Beginning in March, Northwest will close maintenance operations at Tampa International Airport, Miami International Airport, Phoenix, and Portland, Ore.(Note 5 positions recalled) According to officials of the St. Paul, Minn.-based airline, the 60 jobs involved will be "redistributed."

"This is a redistribution of work so we can continue to be as efficient as possible," said Mary Beth Schubert, a spokeswoman for Northwest. "This is not an involuntary layoff. Employees will have the option to bid on other jobs within the system."

Since last year, closing operations appears to be the name of the game for troubled Northwest Airlines. In October 2002, Northwest announced it is closing its aircraft maintenance and engine facility at Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport and its reservation center in Long Beach, Calif.

All told, 1,700 Northwest jobs were redistributed, and some 100 management positions were eliminated.

Also last year, Northwest closed four city ticket offices.

Northwest serves more than 750 cities in 120 countries on six continents.

Why is amfa making a habit of allowing outsourcing of Engine work a yearly occassion? The saga continues On and On and On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twuer said:
Another harsh reality of what AMFA has done to our union brethren at United (AGAIN!!)

http://www.the-mechanic.net/pdf/deltoon2.jpg
All of you TWU types had better wake up.Why do you think Nordam is building a huge facility south of Tulsa International Raceway? Their current amount of work would not require a facility of this size.They must have some new contracts [maybe AA?] For the Tulsa brethren, TWU has allowed some of your work to go to Kansas City.They have recently had a RIF in the Misc Valve Shop and the incoming work is shrinking.This is courtesy of the TWU.It appears that Support Shop work was traded for 737 work,thus resulting in no need for recalling some of the laid off members to TULE.

Go back to bed boeing, You are mis-informed and full of half-truths.

If you look thru the work going to nordam you will see it has dropped. And if you go and review the pattern cards on the Heavy Maintenance you will also see the items are being pulled only as needed. Which in turn requires less work in the support shops at this time, The shops will see an upswing in MRQ items in the future. Also the docks have seen an increase in items worked on the docks.

They negotiated contract language that gives them an opportunity to defend their members properly

Please explain. With their negotiated 38% cap on outsourcing they did what?

Checking it Out said:
LATEST NEWS

January 28, 2003
2003 CIO, we are now in 2004 just case you forgot, kinda like your debate letter to supporters through Dell.

FYI...All but Atlanta has been restaffed(I am sure an oversight by you) and Atlanta had job security of a job elsewhere or the 26 weeks of severance and the layoff.

Latest posts