United Pension Battle

Beer Guzzler

Advanced
May 20, 2005
Atlanta, GA
aogdesk.org
Stewardesses Stripped Of Their Pension?

While some United Airlines employees are using placards and pamphlets to protest the loss of their pensions, a group of flight attendants is taking a more risque tack — showing some skin to publicize their plight.

The five women, ranging in age from 55 to 64, posed for a 2006 calendar that depicts them in various states of undress in front of a vintage plane, on a park bench and on a plane’s wing, among other locations. Reflecting a mix of humor and anger, it was released to coincide with a bankruptcy court’s approval this week of United’s plan to terminate $9.8 billion in employee pension obligations.

While United is never named nor its airplanes shown, every photograph in Stewardesses Stripped (Of Their Pension?) is accompanied by a zinger related to the record pension default by the Elk Grove Village, Ill.-based airline.

“Coffee, tea, or me without a pension?†reads one. “Marry me, fly free — but don’t expect anything from my pension,†says another. And the cover shot: “Are your butts covered? We thought ours were too.â€

Retired flight attendant Connie Baker who started working for United in 1967 when flight attendants were called stewardesses, now is bracing for her $2,800-a-month pension to be cut roughly in half.

“You can’t really live on that,†she said. “How am I going to live on 50% of it?â€

But Baker wants it known that this isn’t all about being bitter. She hopes some good can come from it, and not just the percentage of calendar and T-shirt sales that the women will donate to charity.

Full Story @ USA Today

Stripped BLOG Post!