United Pilots Fault Maintenance Woes on Economic Decisions

nostradamus

Veteran
Dec 7, 2004
"Capt. Wallach, the ALPA chairman, said in his letter to the FAA administrator that pilots, mechanics and dispatchers are being pushed "to make decisions based on economics, often times at the expense of safety and regulatory compliance."

"Ms. Medina, the United spokeswoman, said nothing is more important to the airline than the safety of its employees and customers. "It is unconscionable and intentionally misleading for ALPA to suggest otherwise," she said."

Wall Street Journal August 9th article

And the smaller article below from the Chicago Tribune because, well, the paper certainly does not want to step on any toes of a local company which would require courage.

Chicago Tribune article

"Capt. Wallach, the ALPA chairman, said in his letter to the FAA administrator that pilots, mechanics and dispatchers are being pushed "to make decisions based on economics, often times at the expense of safety and regulatory compliance."

"Ms. Medina, the United spokeswoman, said nothing is more important to the airline than the safety of its employees and customers. "It is unconscionable and intentionally misleading for ALPA to suggest otherwise," she said."

Wall Street Journal August 9th article

And the smaller article below from the Chicago Tribune because, well, the paper certainly does not want to step on any toes of a local company which would require courage.

Chicago Tribune article
After reading the Trib article, I find it interesting that the company's response was that no one was hurt and they landed safely. An attitude I'm getting use to, unfortunately.

Duane Woerth never had a problem with outsourcing.
Why make it a big deal now?

B) xUT

Thats why I recently resigned from UA after 17+ years as an aircraft mechanic.
I am kinda suprised they have'nt crashed one yet.I have seen the condition of their
planes outside of the passenger cabin.It's pretty scary how bad the maint is compared
to how it was 15 years ago.