United, Pilots To Get Day In Court

uafa21 said:
Seems to me that those pilots retiring at 55 better work till 60. Retiring at 55 is not an entitlement anymore.
[post="235889"][/post]​

Do you have ANY idea how many pilots have difficulty passing a FAA Class 1 Medical every 6 months once they get into their 50's?
This a major reason why pilots have always had an earlier retirement than mechanics. Most mechanics,if they so choose,can work well into their 60's with minor existing health problems.

goingboeing said:
Do you have ANY idea how many pilots have difficulty passing a FAA Class 1 Medical every 6 months once they get into their 50's?
This a major reason why pilots have always had an earlier retirement than mechanics. Most mechanics,if they so choose,can work well into their 60's with minor existing health problems.
[post="236118"][/post]​

Do you have any idea how many mechanics work well into their 60's with major existing health problems? Did you know that many mechanics who even get to the point of retirement live less than a year after separation from the company? I'll bet that you don't really 'socialize' or interact with mechanics much, so how could you know? Many frontline employees also face this reality, but we don't enjoy the same level of disposable income that pilots have. Disposable income is money that can be used to purchase goods and services outside of essential 'needs' (for those of you who didn't know). I'm willing to bet that a pilot gets better medical treatment because he/she can better manage their 'copay' to a higher degree; a pilot naturally gets a better retirement because they have better access to financial investments/devices, which gives them a greater opportunity to retire earlier than their frontline counterparts, (who are just as responsible for safety and customer service as any pilot is). The barriers to entering the pilot field are high, fortunately, as it inflates wages. If anyone could be a pilot, pilots wouldn't enjoy the standard of living that they do. However; if more pilots flood the labor market, making 'B' Scale wages, it will further put downward pressure on wages, since carriers paying less in wages and benefits can charge less for fares....Now do you see how 'B' scale's Pandora's Box is unveiling itself? Burning UA down will only serve to flood the labor market, reducing wages further. The only way around it is to leave the industry or 'suck it up' to the point where it's better for you to leave the industry, JMHO.

goingboeing said:
[post="236118"][/post]​

A lot longer than that, and because we make so little we usually have to!

Al Blackman, a mechanic at JFK has an occupational seniority date from 1942. Any pilot that was born when he was hired retired three years ago.

At 79 years old he is still going. He is a little fed up with all the crap thats going on but as he says "At my age, who would hire me?"

spacewaitress -- thanks for the genuine stuff! St.Thomas More once observed about noble teachers doing their job well "only God, their students and themselves will know. Not a bad audience that!"

Hey Bob Owens -- this Blackman fellow should not be working anymore.
Medical fact that physical skills slow with age. I'm not impressed.

That pilot/UA pension deal is a consultant's wet dream! Hey JakeBrace, how much has UA paid the consultants/lawyers since filing CH11?? Funds that could have been directed to pensions!

I'm wondering where are all those wonderful, confident bankers who were so willing to lend cash to UA when Uncle Sam was still a co-signer?

UA's only hope is for relaxation of the 25% foreign ownership rule.