United Revenues Increasing

Chip Munn said:
The principal issue is you and others do not like the remarks
No Chip. The principle issue is that your posts are arrogant, self righteous, and no one believes you to be an expert in anything.

The principle issue is that you are very emotional about this subject and feel a need to try to force your OPINIONS on everyone else.

The principle issue is that you are obsessed with the demise of UA, even when your own airline is faced with many striking problems.

The principle issue is that none of your sources are credible, and neither are you.

The principle issue is that you claim to not care if we believe you or not, yet you won't go away or stop your repetitive and uninformed posts.

Mirror mirror on the wall...

Please Chip, stop lecturing us about principles. You are really starting to sound desperate and pathetic.

(and before you cry about being called names, notice I did NOT say you are any of those things. Just that you sound that way. I don't know you, so it's nothing personal. I just call it like I see it.)

The song of the chipper, courtesy of the Everly Brothers:

"ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM

by the Everly brothers

C ...Am...... Dm7..... G7...................
WHEN I WANT YOU IN MY ARMS
C...... Am...... Dm........ G7.......................................;.
WHEN I WANT YOU AND ALL YOUR CHARMS
C........ Am...........................
WHENEVER I WANT YOU
F........ G7 ....C... Am.... F ............G7...........................................
ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM, DREAM, DREAM, DREAM.
C....... Am.... Dm..... G7.......................
WHEN I FEEL BLUE IN THE NIGHT
C....... Am.... Dm .......G7..............................
AND I NEED YOU TO HOLD ME TIGHT
C ........Am ..........................
WHENEVER I WANT YOU
F......... G7 .....C... F ...C ..C7......
ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM
. F ....................Em................................................
I CAN MAKE YOU MINE TASTE YOUR LIPS OF WINE
Dm.. G7........ C ......C7...........
ANYTIME NIGHT OR DAY.
F............ Em..................................
ONLY TROUBLE IS GEE WHIZ,
D7 ................................G7.........
I'M DREAMING MY LIFE AWAY.
C ......Am ....Dm .......G7.......................
I NEED YOU SO THAT I COULD DIE.
C ....Am ..Dm .........G7.........................
I LOVE YOU SO AND THAT IS WHY.
C ...........Am...... F ........G7 ....C ........F ....C................................
WHENEVER I WANT YOU ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM. "

But, is it Love or lust ??

Second verse, same as the first......

I DON'T WANT YOU
OUT OF CHAPTER 11

THAT WAY I'LL GET TO FLY
A TRIPLE SEVEN

WHATEVER I WANT FOR U
ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM, DREAM,DREAM,DREAM

I WANT YOU GUYS
TO LIQUIDATE

THAT WAY WE'LL GET
YOUR DENVER GATES

WHATEVER I WANT FOR U

I CAN FLY THE WORLD, GET ALL THE GIRLS
ANYTIME NIGHT OR DAY

ONLY TROUBLE IS, GEE WHIZ
I'M STUCK HERE ON THIS R-JAY

WE'LL GET YOUR ASSETS,
YOUR JOBS WE'LL SAVE

THAT'S A QUOTE FROM
DR. DAVE

WHATEVER I WANT FOR U

UAL's execs confident airline will turn around

Company spokesman: "We are headed into a slower travel season, so it's too soon to make predictions" about the company's future bankruptcy progress

DENVER (Rocky Mountain News) - Optimistic predictions about the future of United Airlines abound from the company's executives lately.

Complete Story

I have continually said that United would emerge from bankruptcy, has made progress in lowering its unit costs, and has increased revenue through its US Airways alliance and other measures. Moreover, management has been more optimistic about the company's prospects, however, today a company spokesman tempered that enthusiasm.

However, the biggest obstacles are finding a solution to the underfunded pension crisis, further increasing revenues moving into the slower travel season, its DIP financing requirements, and obtaining exit financing.

In regard to United having the industry's worst Q2 RASM, who first reported on this website the airline lagged its peers and then was widely criticized by posters on this board...but, then it came true. How can that be?

United's cumulative October and November EBITDAR must be $46 million and $112 million, respectively. Well today United spokesman Jeff Green told the Rocky Mountain News "We are headed into a slower travel season, so it's too soon to make predictions" about the company's future bankruptcy progress.

How can that be and who first reported this problem on this website? Is that arrogant, ESP, a wild guess, a desperate/pathetic comment, or an "informed" message board post on my part? I was just wondering...how could I have predicted Green's comments? 737nCH11, since you are not making sarcastic and smart aleck posts, could you please answer my questions?

Separately, it has come to my attention that H.R. 2719, the Airline Pension Act of 2003, has been unofficially scored and at this point there are not enough votes for the proposed legislation to become law. If the ATA and AFL-CIO is not able to effectively lobby for this legislation, this issue could become a huge crisis for United and its employees. Remember if this occurs, who said it first on this message board (by the way, who said United's pension problem would surface and was criticized on this board that the union concessions were enough to meet company obligations, but then Glenn Tilton told employees in a recorded message that the employee concessions were not enough to meet the pension shortfall?).

Finally, the only reason I persist in pointing out flaws is that certain members are disrespectful and "shoot the messenger". Well, here's another example of a problem I predicted, along with the Q2 revenue problem, however, there continues to be multiple reports United will have to sell assets to obtain exit financing. Otherwise, the airline may not be able to emerge, unless a "White Knight" or "Sugar Daddy" emerges.

Will it occur? Maybe, maybe not, but it appears the fire is burning hotter...

Regards,

Chip

us2_e0.gif

Chip says: "We are headed into a slower travel season, so it's too soon to make predictions"

How can that be and who first reported this problem on this website? Is that arrogant, ESP, a wild guess, a desperate/pathetic comment, or an "informed" message board post on my part?

767jetz responds:
I would say the answer is a wild guess. Chip, you are an expert at stating the obvious and then trying to claim credit for being some kind of genious.

OK, here's one for you... The sky is blue! Now, the next time you look out the window and see that I am right, I can claim to have been the first one to predict that on this message board. Boy! I am such a genious. What an informed statement. I told you I had secret sources in high places!

Chip says: Finally, the only reason I persist in pointing out flaws is that certain members are disrespectful

767jetz responds:
Chip, incase know one ever told you this, respect is something that is earned. It does not come with a title, captain! And on these message boards, respect is certainly not something you have earned. :down:

Reuters
United Airlines, Air China sign code sharing deal

Sounds like an airline in major trouble to me.

Here is the FULL article that Chip quoted. This should prove to everyone how Chip will take one sentence from an entirely positive article, and cast UA in a negative light.

UAL's execs confident airline will turn around
CEO Tilton in China to discuss expansion into booming market
By Heather Draper, Rocky Mountain News
August 27, 2003

Optimistic predictions about the future of United Airlines abound from the company's executives lately.

CEO Glenn Tilton said Tuesday he is "confident" in the work United's parent company, UAL Corp., is doing toward securing a $1.8 billion government loan guarantee to help it emerge from bankruptcy.

"We feel very confident, and we continue to dialogue with the U.S. government," Tilton said in an interview with Bloomberg News in Hong Kong.

Tilton is in Asia this week, talking with mainland China airline officials to help United expand into the booming China market.

Tilton's comments came on top of UAL Chief Financial Officer Jake Brace's statement Monday that the carrier is "moving steadily in the right direction" to emerge successfully from bankruptcy.

Executive Vice President John Tague said last week that United would show a "tremendous revenue turnaround" in the third quarter. (Q3 not Q2 Chip)

The Chicago-based carrier is seeking to exit bankruptcy by spring 2004.

"We're encouraged by the fact that our unit revenue performance has improved each month for the last four months," spokesman Jeff Green said.

United's unit revenue - revenue for each seat flown a mile - rose 10 percent in July from July 2002.

But, Green cautioned, "We are headed into a slower travel season, so it's too soon to make predictions" about the company's future bankruptcy progress.

San Francisco analyst Henry Harteveldt said he is becoming more optimistic about United's future.

"I feel better about United's chances then I did a few months ago," said Harteveldt, principal analyst at Forester Research. "Certainly United is making good progress . . . they've been inching toward profitability."

But Harteveldt said the drop-off in summer leisure travel will be a big challenge for United, the dominant carrier in Denver.

"I'm really going to be watching September and October results earnestly . . . that will prove whether United is successfully winning back business travelers," he said.
In recent weeks, United has launched aggressive domestic marketing initiatives aimed at wooing both business and leisure travelers.

Its "Fly 3, Get One Free" campaign is aimed at frequent fliers, who get one round-trip flight for free if they fly three paid qualifying round-trip flights between June 5 and Sept. 30.

This week, it boosted its international efforts by launching a Hong Kong marketing campaign, declaring October "Visit Hong Kong Month" and featuring a series of promotions that highlight the region as an attractive tourism and business travel location.

The carrier announced Tuesday that it is restoring all its trans-Pacific flights next month, as it attempts to recover from the sharp downturn in air travel caused by SARS.

"(Asia) is a major business market and we're heading into the business travel season," said New York University professor of airlines management Paul Biederman. "Hong Kong could be the hottest market - all the players want to be there."

To All US Air Employees

I want to appologize for secretly wishing your company will go Ch 7. It is NOT personal to any one of the thousands who work there, DELETED BY MODERATOR. Thank you, have a nice day! :D

want to know the best part, I don't have to say who it is..........you already know! Speaks volumes

To All US Airways Employees

We DO NOT wish you into Chap. 7. It would be bad for the code share!

Chip Munn said:
There is nothing I said that wasn't true and with all due respect, I believe your comments are inaccurate and off base. The principal issue is you and others do not like the remarks and the potential outcome, however, another respected airline consultant recently told a colleague of mine that for United to emerge the airline must sell assets.
How can you say that, Chip, and hope to retain even a shred of credibility on this Board? Let me make this so simple that even you will finally understand it.

1. You claimed that United's second quarter 2003 net loss would have been $1.096 billion if various credits (such as the $300 million in Federal aid and the $365 million tax refund) were removed from the calculation.

2. I responded that, while United's quarterly loss would still be quite large (around $730 million without the various credits), the tax refund was a cash flow item, not an income statement item. Thus, while a income statement credit for this amount would have accumulated over one or more previous quarters, the credit was not taken in the second quarter of 2003.

3. I provided a link to United's press release where even a cursory review of the financial tables in the press release shows that there was no entry on the "Credit for income taxes" line.

4. Thus, your inclusion of the tax refund amount in your effort to determine United's "true" quarterly net loss was an error. This put the lie to your claim that United's second quarter net loss was really $1.096 billion.

5. You then compounded this error by refusing to admit it, despite the evidence provided to you and your statements in previous posts that you do admit it when you're wrong.

6. Then, as a proven liar who clearly doesn't seem to have any real understanding of the accounting principles used in financial statements (or else we wouldn't be going back and forth over this issue), you have the unmitigated gall to call me a liar (sorry, "inaccurate and off base") for pointing out your errors. Please be kind enough to support that unwarranted accusation by pointing out PRECISELY what I have said on this subject that is inaccurate.

So where do we stand now? As I see it, you have some apparently uncontrollable need to cast any news about United in the most unfavorable light possible, as exemplified yet again by one of your posts earlier this morning where you took a clearly positive article about United and highlighted only a cautionary statement that the carrier is not making any predictions yet about its financial results in the Fall. You rely on "secret" sources that don't have a terribly good historical track record to support your theory about United's supposedly upcoming fragmentation, as you did again this morning with some second-hand comments that you didn't even hear directly. If necessary, you will even fabricate numbers to make any bad news about United look worse than it really is in an attempt to give your posts more dramatic effect. And when you're clearly caught in a lie, and shown evidence to support that assertion, you still refuse to admit it.

And contrary to your statement that I and others on this Board who often disagree with you simply "do not like [your] remarks and the potential outcome" of United's trip through the bankruptcy process, I believe that we really do understand that the carrier has recorded some horrendous financial results over the past few years and that, while United has clearly made substantial progress in improving its prospects since last December, it still has some serious hurdles that it must overcome in the future in order to emerge from bankruptcy. That said, I think you nonetheless go overboard with your constant negativity about United's future prospects (yeah, I know, you think United will survive -- just not in any currently recognizable form). In addition, I believe that 767jetz' post from early this morning said it best by laying out the "real" principal issues accurately and succinctly.

In sum, Chip, you have been proven to be a liar that seems to have some emotional need to constantly trash United yet won't admit it when you're wrong, and thus you've lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. All JMHO, of course.

Cosmo said:
In sum, Chip, you have been proven to be a liar that seems to have some emotional need to constantly trash United yet won't admit it when you're wrong, and thus you've lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. All JMHO, of course.
It is an opinion that I, and probably most other readers, share.

Bizman Posted on Aug 28 2003, 04:20 PM
Didn't you every think they may be thinking the same of your company?

ummmmm, YES! This particular guy makes it obvious every single day! Come to think of it, maybe he isn't a pilot after all, he is NEVER at work.

Latest posts

Back