United threatens to leave JFK

SWAMECH

Veteran
Apr 26, 2005
Pretty sure the FAA and DOJ don't care too much. Other airlines will jump on the chances to grow there. Making a threat as such just to get their way probably won't make them flinch at all. United may just want to focus on their other more busier airports in the region. Just saying...

• Haha
Reactions: WeAAsles
I wonder how many people think things thru before they post... This is a great example.

UA's slots at JFK were temporary. FAA hasn't granted them permanent access.

If UA can't keep the temporary slots, how exactly do you think "other airlines will jump on the chances to grow there" ????

Temp slots can become perm. Watch and see how it all ends up IF UAL does in fact leave.

• Haha
Maybe United shouldn't have entered the "long term" contract with Delta to lease 24 slots from United, huh???
You can't lease out 24 slots to another airline and then say you are treated unfairly and need to be given more slots or else "we are taking our ball and going home". United entered this agreement with Delta freely and all on their own and they will have to live with it. I would suggest they go and ask Delta to re-lease them back to United if they desire more slots that they should have never entered into a long term contract in the first place.
No pandemic nor recession to blame back in 2015 either. United needs to live with their biz decisions, period. Not start asking for "special treatment" after finding out they screwed up leasing the slots out to another airline. C'mon Man!!!

• Haha
See how quickly you flipped your tune?

A minute ago other airlines should be looking at the opportunity that United would leave, and now United is short-sighted for using temporary slots?

Make up your mind and let the rest of us know what it is.

While you're at it, why don't you look at the capacity at JFK versus the capacity at EWR, and remember that JFK has an additional Runway. Yet JFK has a lower slot allocation.

Seems like the FAA is artificially restraining activity at JFK compared to EWR.

Last edited:
See how quickly you flipped your tune?

A minute ago other airlines should be looking at the opportunity that United would leave, and now United is short-sighted for using temporary slots?

Make up your mind and let the rest of us know what it is.
E, C.mon. Other airlines should be looking at the opportunity to expand if/when United leaves (IMO they will be leaving).
Yes, United F*ked up, period. Simply put, as posted, the DOJ/FAA will not care after they f8ked up by leasing out 24 slots and then calling out mistreatment and demanding more slots or we will leave. Too bad United, pack your bags and leave. Deal with the stupid biz decisions you delt out all on your own. And now allow the other airlines to bid on the open slots after United leaves.
See there E, they both work out in this scenario. Didn't change my tune at all, and my mind was made up from the very start. You just didn't like the way it was posted the first time is all.
All the other viewers seemed to have understood it.

• Haha
Lack of other comments doesn't mean anyone agrees with you.

The math says otherwise. I've known both Brett and Mark personally, and I'm going to take their opinions over yours:

United swapping slots with Delta in 2015 wasn't a bad move at the time.

But, it was two CEOs ago for United. A lot has changed in 7 years.

7 years ago, Southwest didn't need access to ORD. But apparently now they do? Was it short-sighted 7 years ago for southwest, or is it short-sighted now?

Lack of other comments doesn't mean anyone agrees with you.

The math says otherwise. I've known both Brett and Mark personally, and I'm going to take their opinions over yours:

United swapping slots with Delta in 2015 wasn't a bad move at the time.

But, it was two CEOs ago for United. A lot has changed in 7 years.

7 years ago, Southwest didn't need access to ORD. But apparently now they do? Was it short-sighted 7 years ago for southwest, or is it short-sighted now?
I never said it was a bad move back in 2015. But now, looking back, yes it was a stupid biz move and now they are realizing it. Of course a lot has changed. And now they want the FAA/DOJ to help them fix the boo-boo of leasing a long term contract by giving them more slots. That would not be fair to the other airlines, and when said lease is up United instantly gets the 24 slots back and gets to keep the "added" slots IF the FAA/DOJ would give in and give them more, and that's why I don't think it'll happen.
You really do need to throttle back some on the forensic dialog of trying to figure out everyone postings when 99% of all post are simply opinions and agree or not agreeing with certain topics.

• Haha
I don't believe they have any permanent gates. From 1992 to 2015, they subleased at the BA terminal.

This time around they were in the LH terminal.

I don't believe they have any permanent gates. From 1992 to 2015, they subleased at the BA terminal.

This time around they were in the LH terminal.
They also leased some of their gates out to other airlines when they left the last time, and those airlines have expanded even more since the traveling has started to come back post pandemic. Something United is now regretting it seems since they cannot grow or expand there.

• Haha