United, Us Airways, and Continental?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again...even if ANY merger becomes a reality in the Airline World, wouldn't it have to get the Feds' approval?

I wonder about this as well. A CO/UA airline would be larger than the new Delta and I tend to doubt the NW/Delta combo would have been allowed under the current administration. While UA/CO don't have the Washington problem anywhere, the DOT could still require that the new airline divest a lot.

Sounds like Parker is pissed at Glenn.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2010-04-22-us-airways-ends-merger-talks-united-airlines_N.htm

"A source close to the situation at US Airways said executives at the company's headquarters near Phoenix in Tempe, Ariz., were upset with their counterparts at United"

"There's a lot of burned tail feathers in Phoenix today," the source said. "They feel like they were played by the folks at United, who they just learned were even farther along toward to doing a deal with Continental."
I must say that it was a foolish circus on both sides if the UA/CO merger comes to pass. A big waste of time and effort on the part of US and UA. Tinton could have just went directly to CO, instead of playing a High School level game with Parker. If you want CO, go and talk to them..

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder about this as well. A CO/UA airline would be larger than the new Delta and I tend to doubt the NW/Delta combo would have been allowed under the current administration. While UA/CO don't have the Washington problem anywhere, the DOT could still require that the new airline divest a lot.
Actually there is very little grief that could be caused by market overlap since it is minimal. As for this administration, if labor is on board and it is sold as labor friendly, preserving jobs and creating stability, then the administration will look favorably on it.

Fantastic! Now maybe Cal pilots can learn how to fly in the winter, since most of their flights are delayed or canceled during snowy weather.
I think it's safe to assume:
1) That EWR gets wintry weather
2) That a substantial percentage of CO's pilots have enough seniority to recall having flown out of DEN, which really gets wintry weather
3) That even after CO drew down DEN the pilots still kept flying to places that got a lot of snow

I figure impacts to ops are not all that airline-specific.

But maybe it's not so safe to assume any of this.

and i was hoping for a shake up with the seniority list...oh well... to all the reserves...heres to 10 more years at the bottom..

I guess that all of the UA pilots have set aside the issue of some of the CO pilots being on a "List" back in the 80's. I recall most of our guys checking it out prior to giving the jumpseat to any of them. Not saying all of the CO pilots were part of this, but those that crossed the line along with those from PE, TI, and NY Air were.

I am sorry to say I called it all along.....UA using US as a ploy to get CO back to the table.

With all due respect to my friends still at US, US is the ugly girl at the dance--the last one picked in any merger scenario.

I can see US being split off again (IMO the only way to resolve the pilot issue), possibly with East going to AA and West going to Republic....far fetched, perhaps, but possible...definitely.

I also find it interesting that Doug was willing to step aside.......which would have been a good thing.

Wherever US winds up, one can only hope that the OTHER carrier's employee and customer culture will survive.......

My BEST to you all...

Though I can't blame UA for wanting to explore a merger with CO instead of US it is the second time that UA has done this. I wonder if this will cause bad blood between the companies. Hmmmm Also I know people believe US is like a cat with nine lives but I don't believe it has many lives left. It "holds it's own" as it is. It certainly isn't a leader in ANY way nor does US have the power to "throw it's weight around". They barely keep their head above water now so what will the future hold for US trying to compete with the true LCC's along with AA, a new HUGE UA and DL? I'm sorry to sound like well, Debbie Downer but I don't see blue skies ahead regardless of what Parker says in company newsletters or public news outlets.

Folks,

Since US is now removed from the merger scenario, we will be closing this thread in about 24 hours.

Feel free to continue the discussion of a potential merger in the UA forum.

Thanks

Richard

Like him or not, Parker has tried to do what he can with what he has. We all know that the last few years have been Hell for all of the Airlines, and I give him credit for keeping the doors open thru these tough times. US was headed down the wrong path since way back in the early 90's following the PI/PS mergers. Colodny wasn't at all interested in the International markets, and that put US at a disadvantage from the start. US had piss poor management for a long time before Parker even came along with the HP merger 5 years ago. Trying to fix nearly 20 years of corporate blunders, can't be done as easily as most think. Has he done everything perfectly? No, but just about every other Airline out there has issues with their CEO's as well. Delta went thru years of poor management, but they were fortunate enough to have more of a global presence to see them thru it. While those of us at US would have liked to merge with UA in order to secure a larger more solid company for our futures, it's not the end of the world. US has survived many bad times thru the years, and I'm sure they will be able to stay afloat without this merger. Good luck to all involved at
UA & CO......

As stated in this article, with this news that they have shifted their focus to Continental all three airlines UA, CO, and US's stocks fell. While I think that a UA-CO tie up would produce better results with fewer integration issues, it seems that the market has indicated a preference of UA-US.

Today Doug Parker was replaced after having gone 0-2 in the last two contests with two strikeouts.

I suppose that Tinton had no clue about this little issue in the pilot contract prior to talking with US for months? I can't give him much credit as a CEO at this point either.
You can read many posts about what the UA employees think of him, so don't look for that to change with a CO merger. If UA and CO do merge, it will be CO saving UA, and I can't see the CO board placing this Knucklehead at the helm. Look for Tinton to take the money and run soon after the ink dries.
This could very well end up as a power struggle as to who stays at the top, and what name will survive. I know that the United name was going to stay had a deal taken place with US, but what is the statues of the name in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.