Jeff Smisek UNITED CEO - US Airways merger would be good for industry

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that all these worldwide partnerships have one airline from one country. The Star is the only one that has two airlines from one country. United was somehow responsible for getting both US and CO in. Then it merged with CO.

The way it looks is that it may be more profitable if only one airline was in the partnership because it would mean more $$$$$, er, ah, I mean pax sent their way. No wonder why Smisek thinks a merger is good....he's trying to pawn off the ugly thorn.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that all these worldwide partnerships have one airline from one country. The Star is the only one that has two airlines from one country. United was somehow responsible for getting both US and CO in. Then it merged with CO.

The way it looks is that it may be more profitable if only one airline was in the partnership because it would mean more $$$$$, er, ah, I mean pax sent their way. No wonder why Smisek thinks a merger is good....he's trying to pawn off the ugly thorn.

Not really, CAL was Oneworld until the merger then joined star under the United agreement.
FYI, CAL is not CAL anymore.
Here is a list of Star Partners:
http://www.staralliance.com/en/about/airlines/

Maybe it's Parker who is trying to "pawn off the ugly thorn".

Not really, CAL was Oneworld until the merger then joined star under the United agreement.
FYI, CAL is not CAL anymore.
Here is a list of Star Partners:
http://www.staralliance.com/en/about/airlines/
CO has been bounced around because of their early desire to remain independent of alliances - after it unsuccessfully tried to become the anchor US partner for Skyteam - losing out to DL.
NW's partnership w/ KL dragged CO into that alliance followed by DL where 3 was more than a crowd.
CO was an independent member of Star before its merger w/ UA...
It does go to show that there are few examples of multiple large carriers in the same alliance.
US' value to Star and to UA is its presence in the SE... UA now has the NE pretty well covered- although in an alliance, bulk helps as long as it doesn't compete wiht you.
If UA could buy the CLT hub and nothing more, they would probably take US yesterday.

Virtually overnight, AA could return to it's $$ success of the Crandall 90's by flying virtually everywhere while feeding South America and Europe(with BA) and Asia(with JAL)

Gee, thanks for your vaunted support of union members. Yes, Horton wants an agreement with APA to include E and C jets--rather he wants an agreement for more of those a/c. Because he wants to decimate AA-domestic, by turning most domestic flying over to AE and other regional carriers--cutting salaries and benefits for domestic operations employees even more than he is currently proposing in BK court. The "cornerstone" plan is based on domestic rj flying except cornerstone station to cornerstone station.