United will close HNL and DTW call centers

Any reason why you didn't include they are all going to be working from home instead?

"We are making significant technology investments to support our Contact Centers and have chosen not to renew our leases at the Detroit and Honolulu facilities, allowing nearly all of our employees to work from home."

"...There is no doubt that some aspects of the work from home lifestyle can be better for employees. No more commute (which can be especially miserable in Honolulu), no wear on a car and maybe even choosing to deduct some work-at-home expenses from the tax bill. Picking up a few extra hours if there is overtime demand (i.e. major weather system) is easier and can be done in a much more ad hoc manner...

...For the company the benefits are obvious. There are significant savings in not leasing and operating a large call center space. Also, the agents are paid a lower hourly rate and are responsible for procuring the necessary equipment to perform the work (i.e. they have to buy their own computer). United does not expect to see staffing levels change as part of this move."

That is from the link above.

Reservations Remote Agent (RRA)contract language is lacking

DTW is one of the older call centers (in terms of tenure, not necessarily how long they've been in the current facility), and does a lot of the specialty work from what I recall including Mileage Plus support. HNL has been around for probably 50 years, and is a holdover from the days where work had to follow the sun and long-distance telco was still expensive.

Why do you say the language is lacking without providing the examples, john john?

I just read thru their contract, and didn't see anything glaring.

https://www.iam141.org/docs/2013-2016%20PASSENGER%20SERVICE%20EMPLOYEES.pdf

Sure, as Glenn said, they have to buy their own computer. They also get a reimbursement of $75 per month presumably to cover their home office expenses. I have no idea what DSL or cable broadband costs in Hawaii or Michigan, but I'd think that $900 a year should just about cover it, especially when those are items I'd have at home regardless.

The current top-out for a RSSR is $23.45 and a RRA is $20.70 -- those rates look to be 80% for remote employees, but they still keep all the same shift and higher capacity premiums from what I can see.

Maybe 20% seems like a huge cut in pay, but when you factor in the cost of driving, having to maintain a work-appropriate wardrobe, and your commuting time, it all starts to add up. Heck, just the commuting time is enough of an offset for me --- the time spent driving, punching-in/out, and walking to/from your car probably easily adds up to an hour of unpaid time. Even more if you use public transportation.

I know... the CWA says work from home is bad... but frankly, I don't put a lot of faith into what the CWA has to say in general. Obviously, the IAM didn't find it to be as much of a threat and found a way to work with management to find a decent solution.

Eric,

John John has a hard on for the IAM for some reason.

He posts misinformation about UA and US and when corrected he pulls a WT and ignores it and still runs with his misinformation.

Not sure why you all don’t already know this????
US Airways may implement a “Work At Home” program for Reservations Sales Agents as follows:
WAH positions will be voluntary and will be established based on the needs of service in Reservations Center(s) as determined by the company and will not exceed 30% of the RSR workforce (FTE)
WAH will be considered a separate duty assignment within the center.
Eligible active RSA employees may apply for transfers to and from WAH vacancies in accordance with the provisions of Article 9, A.1 or 9, B.1, as applicable. RSA's will not be involuntarily assigned to WAH positions.
The company will provide computer hardware and its maintenance. Installation of any additional hardware or software on company equipment is strictly prohibited. The company will be responsible for the monthly cost and installation of DSL and/or any additional required phone lines.
Workplace injury liabilities will be limited to injuries which occur in the work area, including the office area, kitchen, bathroom and connecting corridors.
WHA employees are covered under CWA Agreement including medical and dental benefits

eolesen said:
I know... the CWA says work from home is bad... but frankly, I don't put a lot of faith into what the CWA has to say in general. Obviously, the IAM didn't find it to be as much of a threat and found a way to work with management to find a decent solution.
Huh ! Article 4 – Classifications CWA US CBA

john john said:
Maybe some of us don't really care what US did?

If you have specifics about why the IAM's language is lacking, have at it. I don't see anything wrong with it.

eolesen said:
If you have specifics about why the IAM's language is lacking, have at it. I don't see anything wrong with it.
john john said:
US Airways may implement a “Work At Home” program for Reservations Sales Agents as follows:
WAH positions will be voluntary and will be established based on the needs of service in Reservations Center(s) as determined by the company and will not exceed 30% of the RSR workforce (FTE)
WAH will be considered a separate duty assignment within the center.
Eligible active RSA employees may apply for transfers to and from WAH vacancies in accordance with the provisions of Article 9, A.1 or 9, B.1, as applicable. RSA's will not be involuntarily assigned to WAH positions.
The company will provide computer hardware and its maintenance. Installation of any additional hardware or software on company equipment is strictly prohibited. The company will be responsible for the monthly cost and installation of DSL and/or any additional required phone lines.
Workplace injury liabilities will be limited to injuries which occur in the work area, including the office area, kitchen, bathroom and connecting corridors.
WHA employees are covered under CWA Agreement including medical and dental benefits
john john said:
Huh ! Article 4 – Classifications CWA US CBA
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And what exactly sucks about the IAM's language?

I know it's tough to provide specifics when all you do is act as a sock puppet for the CWA, but surely you can come up with something on your own.

Back