Unprecedented Change…

Parker said that: "there has been no shortage of investers willing to invest money in the new U." Don't be supprized, expect the bizzare. Many of us out here feel the whole United merger attempt was not over. The new U has North American, East (Europe), South (Caribbean and some Spanish America), but not much West (Asia). Look at a World map, not just a US map.

EyeInTheSky said:
In closing, I'd like to add that your "I-got-the-scoop-before-anyone-else-and-please-pat-me-on-the-back" is really, well, bizarre. We just don't care where a rumor comes from. Sorry, you don't win and you don't get a prize.
[post="299785"][/post]​

No kidding. It really reminds me of the little child in the group of adults who keeps stomping his feet because no one is paying attention to him. Really really weird.

USA320Pilot said:
Clue:

“What's your opinion of the news media reprots of "Project Minnow" where Dave Siegel "began an aggressive search for new partners. He approached United again -- part of an initiative code-named "Project Minnow," with US Airways as the small fish swallowing the bigger one?"
[post="299771"][/post]​

I think Dave Siegel could have seen the tooth fairy. I believe that he ran the airline into bankruptcy twice and was removed as a result.

Since nothing happened (and, in fact, the former US Airways, despite your predictions to the contrary was effectively purchased by American West rather than buy anyone), I don't really care what Dave Siegel said. He, like you, is a dreamer.

It was the will of Labor; not manamgnet to keep this airline afloat.

And it took the vision of AWA to want to expand their network to look in USAirways direction.

US Airways has a great franchise; not a great management. Does going into BK twice in 2 years make this airline a survivor, or smart enough to take advantage of the system and its bk laws?

The rest of the legacies will do this too; and Before the end of October. It was predicted in August of 2002 after US Airways first round of concessions ratified and BK #1 that other carrier will follow, like dominos as they all race to consolidate.

US Airways Seigel team didn't create the concept of "consolidiation in the industry", even though it was in Siegel's speech in the International Avaiation Meeting in September of 2002 in DCA. (Remember, that's were Siegel called Delta CEO, Dr. Evil)

Gangwal and Wolfe had their sites on United for 2 years in an effort to merge these two airlines together back in 99-2001. They couldn't pull it off as they couldn't get approval by the DOT to merge as the argments from other carriers were monopolization of the routes and this would hurt competition and the consumer.

USA320Pilot:

First, as others have pointed out to you, the mere fact that Dave Seigel and US Airways might have had a "Project Minnow" whose goal was to acquire some or all of the assets of United, doesn't mean that United had any interest in selling anything. And you have provided absolutely no evidence to the contrary.

Second, on top of everything else, the "sale" of TED (ignoring for the moment that there is nothing to "sell" other than individual A320 aircraft or the rights to the name "TED") by United to the "new" US Airways doesn't make any business sense. If US Airways were going to use TED to continue serving its current routes feeding United's hubs, which can be the only basis for your claim that United would continue to receive incremental revenue, there would be no added benefit to the US Airways system to justify draining some portion of the carrier's precious cash holdings with this purchase. On the other hand, if US Airways were to move the TED flights away from feeding United's hubs, there would then be no incremental revenues for United to receive. Thus, as I said above, this deal makes no business sense and is exceedingly unlikely to happen.

Why don't you drop your unhealthy obsession with United, a carrier on the way out of bankruptcy, and focus on those carriers that appear to be headed into bankruptcy and might need a "benefactor" like US Airways to purchase some of their potentially unneeded assets?

I just heard on CNN that Virgin was going to name its US Carrier partner in the next 2 weeks.....

could they be buying TED? or who?

GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN!! :rolleyes:

No one is "buying Ted." There is nothing to sell except a name and some aircraft anyway. There is no TED! It is a marketing tool of United Airlines.

I just heard this morning that UA will be excercising all of its previously deferred airbus orders. Why on earth would UA do that if it was planning on selling them off?

This rumor makes no sense. What makes even less sense is the 9 pages of back and forth over this fantasy.

P.S. Art, these Maui sunsets are amazing!

767jetz said:
GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN!! :rolleyes:

No one is "buying Ted." There is nothing to sell except a name and some aircraft anyway. There is no TED! It is a marketing tool of United Airlines.

I just heard this morning that UA will be excercising all of its previously deferred airbus orders. Why on earth would UA do that if it was planning on selling them off?

This rumor makes no sense. What makes even less sense is the 9 pages of back and forth over this fantasy.

P.S. Art, these Maui sunsets are amazing!
[post="300267"][/post]​

Jetz,

I know, my friend. I went there on my first honeymoon :)

Enjoy.......

Healthy Airlines Should Resist Mergers, Analysts Say
Saturday, September 17, 2005 By Meredith Cohn The Baltimore Sun

There is also no guarantee that antitrust regulators would approve more mergers. Regulators examine competitive problems, potential fare increases and market share of a combined airline when weighing a proposed consolidation. They opposed a US Airways and United merger five years ago and also nixed Northwest’s 1998 effort to acquire an interest in Continental Airlines Inc.

In the past decade, U.S. Department of Justice has approved only one other merger besides the US Airways-America West union: the TWA-American union.

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=5&ID=242637&r=0

Airline mergers may mean disgruntled passengers
Sunday, September 18, 2005

By JOSHUA FREED and HARRY R. WEBER
Associated Press

The fear that bankrupt Delta Air Lines Inc. and Northwest Airlines Corp. could slash the number of pilots along with their pay and pensions is leading some observers to wonder about the long-term impact on service.

"If not controlled, it could mean delays and disgruntled passengers," said airline expert Terry Trippler. "It's critical that this tension be stopped as quickly as possible."

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.../509180320/1003

Airline crisis spurs merger speculation
Wall Street sees consolidation as key to restoring profits
By Jim Jelter, MarketWatch
Last Update: 8:28 PM ET Sept. 16, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- With Delta and Northwest airlines, two of the nation's biggest, having plunged into bankruptcy, investors are asking whether liquidation of at least one major carrier might be needed to stem the sector's growing carnage.

LINK

Back