Unprecedented Change…

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
Unprecedented change…

It is my understanding the U.S. airline industry is on the doorstep of unprecedented change. Delta is preparing for an imminent bankruptcy filing, Northwest will likely file for its “formal reorganizationâ€￾ before October 17, and United’s plan of reorganization (POR) and Disclosure Statement could see a “material change.â€￾

In regard to US Airways, expect the airline to reject a number of merger excess facilities before emerging from bankruptcy on or about September 27, which the New Company no longer desires. In addition, future legacy carrier bankruptcy filings and/or fragmentation’s will likely effect the new merged US Airways.

The “final domestic industry-wide consolidationâ€￾ is now unfolding with different potential outcomes. It is my understanding the new US Airways faces the likelihood of a second merger or other carrier fragmentation on the heels of the pending merger with America West.

One potential scenario is for the new US Airways to obtain TED.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Unprecedented change…

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="298769"][/post]​
Have you been drinking again?

regards,

l4pi

USA320Pilot said:

[post="298769"][/post]​

I've met TED... didn't care for his attitude... or should I say the lack of a good one.

Once again let us inform you, since you don't get it.

TED is not a seperate airline, it does not have it's own opertating certificate nor does it have seperate employees.

It is part of Mainline United Airlines, flying on United's certificate, using United Airlines' planes painted in a "TED" livery. It uses mainline United Employees under a mainline contract.

Once again don't let the facts get in your way.

Simply amazing how you come up with this stuff.

Well without focusing unduly on the TED comment, the other possibilities do not seem unreasonable.

In fact, it all seems like "the perfect storm" between 9/11/01 turmoil coming "to fruition", the LCC business model and the "Wal-Mart" cultural trend, Katrina, the lack of development of any freedom from fossil fuels coupled with continued Mideast instability and the reelection of a man with no vision other than keeping his cronies rich....

the first post in this thread seems not so ominous over ten years, but, truly fascinating over four to six weeks.

Is this the restatement of obvious business trends or the revealing of an even faster than anticipated evolution of air transportation?

Anybody ever thought of "fragmentation" or looked at the US Airways & United ALPA "15% fragmentation" clause, which is identical??????

Maybe some "smart-alecks" should do you a little more research before they comment on something they know nothing about.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Today America West ALPA MEC chairman JR Baker wrote a letter to all America West pilots. Baker said, "Last week (at the joint US Airways-America West MEC meeting), we received two very enlightening presentations from our hired industry experts. Our investment bankers and ALPA financial analysts talked about the strengths and weaknesses of the merger with AAA and the status of the industry overall. This was followed by a presentation from our merger attorney and his industry analyst who reviewed the industry from a merger perspective. Needless to say, things remain chaotic for the domestic airlines financially, and we should expect more consolidation as a result of the expected bankruptcy filings from other U.S. carriers."

"In other words, there is a real likelihood that as America West (soon to be US Airways) pilots, must be prepared and ready to fight a second merger or fragmentation on the heels of this pending merger," he said.

Guess what, following bankruptcy emergence what airline will have one of the strongest cash positions in the industry and strong investor support?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Maybe some "smart-alecks" should do you a little more research before they comment on something they know nothing about.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="298787"][/post]​

Look in the mirror and take your own advice.

TED is not a seperate company for United to sell off.

Maybe instead of trying to stir the pot you should stick to something you actually know.

USA320Pilot said:
I'm not going to continue with "mud slinging", emotional comments, or to try and discredit the messenger. If you choose to do so, so be it.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="266173"][/post]​

Who said they were and what does that have to do with anything? Clearly...you are uninformed, but what is new? Making accurate comments is not "mud slinging", it is simply telling it like it is.

It is unclear how things will proceed, but the one thing is clear, things will dramatically change in the not-to-distant future.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Accurate?

Just like you said US was not going to sell MDA and bring all the 170/190 flying in-house?

Gee tell us what happened there?

Just like you said US was going to win the airbus arbitration?

Gee what happened there?

When you become CEO, COO, CFO or BOD member, then maybe you will know what is going on, but for now you are just a REGULAR line pilot, a regular hourly employee, nothing more.

All you are doing is rumor mongering.

We urge all pilots to contact their reps or the Comm Center for accurate updates on restructuring negotiations and the activity of other unions. We also request that all pilots refrain from promoting any management anti-union propaganda or chastise other employees in the media. There is little to be gained from such activity other than embarrassment for yourself, your fellow pilots, US Airways, and ALPA.

700UW:

You have been told things over-and-over and continue to spread misinformation, which is one of the reasons your union gave the company the greatest percentage "give" over the "ask" for any US Airways union. You distort information to try to sell a point and you have zero, nada, no idea what you're talking about.

Have I been wrong in the past? Absolutely. Will I be wrong in the future? Yes. However, when would now be a good time for you to stop trying to discredit people and deal with accurate contractual information, since you have no knowledge of current events or contracts.

As I have said, there are a number of modeling scenarios and it's unclear how this will proceed.

Meanwhile, Baker also said, "It became clear to the (joint) MEC as we watched the progress of the transition agreement negotiations that there was little, if any, experience or templates for trying to merge two carriers under such extraordinary circumstances. I do not mean this in a pejorative sense, but more in the spirit that our industry is operating in uncharted waters. It may have been acceptable in the past to litigate and drag out issues to obtain some tactical advantage. However, today, it is clear that such a course would not only drain our resources, but leave us unprepared to defend ourselves for a second round of further consolidation."

"The (joint) MEC also recognized that there was great value in having a transition agreement completed before the US Airways Plan of Reorganization confirmation hearing scheduled for September 16," he said.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Light Years:

You do not even have to do that. Think asset sales, fragmentation, and the real "important" 15% number. Think strategic and how to avoid obstacles.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Ah, but the MDA employees have seperate contracts, there is a bit of difference.

And how about that ALPA MEC giving your pension away without a vote, giving US more the the ask?

You are the master of misinformation not I, we are all still waiting for your explanation of the "painful clause" in the previous IAM Mechanic and Related Contract.

Don't get me started, this is one battle you will lose.

Back