US Airways Airbuses Clips Wings at DCA Once Again!

Two incidents, one in September, one recent.

The one in September was Express and mainline. The recent one was two mainline.

Doesn't look like rampers were involved in either.

No where does it say it was an E190:

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - No one is seriously injured after two U.S. Airways planes clipped each others' wings at Reagan National Airport. Authorities say 63 passengers were taken off the planes after the collision Sunday morning. Courtney Prebich, a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, says one passenger complaining of back pain was taken to a hospital. Prebich says the collision involved an Airbus A319 headed to New York's LaGuardia Airport and a regional jet going to Rochester, N.Y. U.S. Airways spokeswoman Andrea Rader says the smaller jet was taxiing to the runway when it clipped the wing of the larger aircraft and became lodged there. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.

Well three news stories tell three different stories, RJ to ROC is what US said and a A319.

When even the spokespeople can't agree who knows what the airplanes were. In one article Durrant is quoted as saying that one was a Shuttle flight and the other a mainline flight to FLL. In another, Prebich says one was a Shuttle and the other was a "regional jet" bound for ROC. The only thing they both agree on is that one airplane was on a Shuttle flight.

If the second airplane was indeed a "regional jet" bound for ROC it would have been an E170, not a "Barbie jet" (more than a few people consider any jet flown by express carriers a "regional jet"). If it was bound for FLL, it was a 737.

Lacking better info, I'll take crusher's word for what happened.

Jim

The FLL flight a 737 was stopped and waiting for additional taxi instructions. The other a Shuttle flight turned behind the 737 striking the horizontal stabilizer. There have been 2 other incidents at DCA in the past year which both happened in the hold block area. Both involved an RP flight. One was with CO and the other with one of our 319's.

What I would like to know is "What happens to the Pilot(s) involved when they are involved in such incidents?". Surely they do not terminate but hopefully a suspension or downgrade is possible. Since the Captain is exercising the TAXI of the aircraft and IS "The Pilot in Command", there has to be repercussions for a very costly F-Up! Yes, accidents DO HAPPEN but I have never understood H-O-W incidents like this occur unless weather impared visibility (shall we say White Out conditions, where the airport may be closed) or was it negligence. All I can say is, like driving a car....if one can't back it up without hitting something, I'll pass on hitching a ride with that person. Situations like THIS really baffle the flying public and must make Mgmnt and Insurance Companies say "WTH"!

As you say, the Captain is ultimately responsible when the aircraft is moving under it's own power (and technically even when being pushed back but obviously can't see what's behind the plane). This sounds like one of those "It'll go through there....Oops, I guess it won't" moments - in other words, an all too human mistakes.

I'm guessing that with the NTSB and FAA involved, a sim check ride will possibly be in this Captain's future before he/she returns to the line and possibly a line check the first trip on the line.

Jim

As you say, the Captain is ultimately responsible when the aircraft is moving under it's own power (and technically even when being pushed back but obviously can't see what's behind the plane). This sounds like one of those "It'll go through there....Oops, I guess it won't" moments - in other words, an all too human mistakes.

I'm guessing that with the NTSB and FAA involved, a sim check ride will possibly be in this Captain's future before he/she returns to the line and possibly a line check the first trip on the line.

Jim
Thanks for the scenario of events that will take place. I realize that accidents happen, BUT......

Thanks for the scenario of events that will take place.

Please understand that I'm not saying what will happen, only what is somewhat normal. Since I know nothing about what happened other than what's been posted here, there may have been extenuating circumstances that could affect the outcome.

Jim

Latest posts