US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman's Message

At today's East MEC meeting there was an interesting potential scenario discussed in that Doug Parker could keep the two airline systems separate and then when the next merger took place he could spin off the West operation. Why? The West operation has a low RASM and this could help meet antitrust concerns.
So that's what they do at those meetings - come up with crazy "theories".....oh, sorry....."scenario's".....sounds more "important and official".....

Wonder just what antitrust concerns spinning off the West is supposed to allay, unless they had the even crazier idea that WN might be the merger partner...... :lol:

Jim

BoeingBoy,

I’m not the MEC Rep. who discussed this point. I’m just the messenger. In regard to antitrust issues it was more about market share or a potential way to reduce capacity in low yield markets.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. Have you seen any chameleons in retired life?

Sounds good Eye! The way I see it the east has a DOH of Sep05 with a brand new Company because without the merger there was no future to the old US and everyone in this entire industry knows it except the east. Maybe our future at AWA might not have been all that great either, but we did have one! Two neutrals among your peers agreed with this prospect yet east never discusses that little annoying fact.

If by slim chance the Nic decision is thrown out, it will be one of the biggest campaigns ever to staple the east to the bottom of a new arbitrated list, guaranteed!! If you don't think it's a possibility, think again. This award may be the best the east can get considering a virtually zilch pre-merger career expectation.

Your only hope is for the EC to put some fence in place, but that will mean an end to ALPA so it's very unlikely that will happen. Some of my fraternity/squadron brothers at UAL, NWA, and DAL have told me their MECs are discussing the distinct possibility of ALPAs demise if they mess with the arbitrated decision. It is an unprecedented move for the EC review an arbitrated decision let alone overturn it – the consequences are dire.

AWA320 -

Here's a new slogan for you: "Date of Hire - So simple even a caveman gets it." So, what's your excuse?

Later,
Eye

If by slim chance the Nic decision is thrown out, it will be one of the biggest campaigns ever to staple the east to the bottom of a new arbitrated list, guaranteed!!

Gee, you sure bring out the "American" in America West don't you? Go ahead, bring out the big "stapler threats" oooohhh --- scary! Every non-moron knows that if you go ahead with that nitwit plan there won't be a company left - guaranteed!!

Later,
Eye

In regard to antitrust issues it was more about market share
Which is why it only makes sense if WN is the partner....

or a potential way to reduce capacity in low yield markets.
Not an antitrust concern. Besides, in addition to a lower RASM, West also has a lower CASM.

P.S. Have you seen any chameleons in retired life?
I do see one's tracks here and there, but understand it hangs out in LGA a lot.....

Regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. Which pilot group do you think has the best scope and fragmentation protection?

Yeah, Delta's.

Your not going to start with that crap again are you? How many times do you have to be wrong before you give up.

BTW, I have a flight coming up on the shuttle in a week or two. Sure hope your not "sick" and unable to fly that day....... I'm really looking forward to poping in the cock pit to say "hi"

Regards

l4pi

If I could turn back the hands of time and prevent the merger from ever taking place I would. So, your solution makes sense to me, but the Company will never entertain such a deal unless, like you said, there is something in the works. Although, I would not be so sure Doug et al would spin off the west operation. After certificate merge this fall he is more likely to spin off the unprofitable, and any overlap routes to satisfy antitrust concerns. This would likely result in a significant reduction in both east and west operations. You see, the west does have a lower RASM for now, but that is only until east workgroups get major airline contracts. Most will get one soon except for the pilots. Or, would you rather continue to whore yourself out for the foreseeable future? Also, the west has survived and prospered in a low RASM environment with the likes of SWA, something the old east never quite figured out how to do. AWA and SWA have coexisted in sort of a symbiotic relationship that continues even today, although, SWA benefits more from the relationship. The low fare market is a strange beast.

Bottom line, if there is a deal in the works for UAL, NWA or any other airline, I think it is extremely likely that PHX, LAS, CLT, and PHL (ugh), possibly the Shuttle operation depending on who the partner is, will be the players, the rest will be spun off. Too long to explain here, but just think about it and it will make sense.

Callsign,

The US Airways pilots will never agree to the Nicolau Award and will take whatever steps necessary to right what MEC Chairman Jack Stephan said were the injustices of this egregious award.

At today's East MEC meeting there was an interesting potential scenario discussed in that Doug Parker could keep the two airline systems separate and then when the next merger took place he could spin off the West operation. Why? The West operation has a low RASM and this could help meet antitrust concerns.

Would it not be interesting if this occured since Stephan said last Sunday, "In response to the request of Captain Prater for the MECs to develop a process to comply with the Executive Council Resolution, the America West MEC has sent a letter stating their unwillingness to engage and declining to participate in any such process. In effect, their desire is that the Executive Council must accept their position on the Nicolau Award before they will agree to any discussions."

As I indicated earlier, how about of both MEC's ask the company for a release from Transition Agreement talks? What do you think of this idea? The benefits are each party could live under their present contract, the AWA MEC and West pilot group could enter into Section VI negotiations, and each pilot group would stop wasting the others time trying to find a consensual resolution to the Nicolau Award.

What do you think of this idea?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. Which pilot group do you think has the best scope and fragmentation protection?

Bottom line, if there is a deal in the works for UAL, NWA or any other airline, I think it is extremely likely that PHX, LAS, CLT, and PHL (ugh), possibly the Shuttle operation depending on who the partner is, will be the players, the rest will be spun off. Too long to explain here, but just think about it and it will make sense.

What are you drinking? Have you been hanging out with these guys again??
pilots-sent-inside-072105.jpg

Later,
Eye

Wasn't that what the screw Dave campaign was all about? Plus the MEC forcing the Merger committee to demand DOH even though it is nowhere in ALPA policy!! They knew it would effectively staple all West to the bottom of your list, so go pound sand. Better yet, go pound MEC.

Gee, you sure bring out the "American" in America West don't you? Go ahead, bring out the big "stapler threats" oooohhh --- scary! Every non-moron knows that if you go ahead with that nitwit plan there won't be a company left - guaranteed!!
Later,
Eye

Eye in the sky, remove your previous post while you can. It is the most classless post, by far, I have seen on this board to date. You are putting way too much glue in the bag over your head.

Eye,

You never offer anything meaningful to the discussion so I’m not going to bother trying to justify my opinion.

You are the equivalent of a virtual drive-by spammer thug offering nothing but trash. The scary part of it is you driving around with that bag on your head, but then again that explains the lost feeling we all sense from your posts.

Cheers!

CC

What are you drinking? Have you been hanging out with these guys again??
pilots-sent-inside-072105.jpg

Maybe a nice swim in paradise will cure you...

Later,
Eye

Gee,
A guy who wants to staple veteran pilots to a bottom of seniority list is calling people thugs. Talk about going through life with a bag on your head...geeze..

Later,
Eye

Eye,

You never offer anything meaningful to the discussion so I’m not going to bother trying to justify my opinion.

You are the equivalent of a virtual drive-by spammer thug offering nothing but trash. The scary part of it is you driving around with that bag on your head, but then again that explains the lost feeling we all sense from your posts.

Cheers!

CC

Gee,
A guy who wants to staple veteran pilots to a bottom of seniority list is calling people thugs. Talk about going through life with a bag on your head...geeze..

Later,
Eye

Eye,

You are lost bro!!!! Confused again about seniority and longetivity. Bottom means botton no matter home many years you put in EYE! It sucks yeah we all know but bottom is still bottom no matter how bad it sucks!! I feel for you and every AAA pilot, but bottom is still bottom no matter how I feel. 20 years 40 years 1000 years on the job if only one person is below you bottom is still bottom EYE!!

I hope you get it soon cause there is probably a decent person under that bag.

At today's East MEC meeting there was an interesting potential scenario discussed in that Doug Parker could keep the two airline systems separate and then when the next merger took place he could spin off the West operation.

Did the MEC take into account that Parker may well retain loyalty to 'His' company (West) and that in a potential merger with another carrier it could well be the East that gets spun off?

Revenue premium be damned,Brewski Boy may just say 'Screw it' and jettison the East.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel doesn't get the oil, sometimes it gets replaced outright.

Latest posts