Us Airways / America West Merger

BoeingBoy & Busdrvr, it seems your comments regarding “good willâ€￾ are in conflict.

No they aren't. BB was correctly stating when they show up on the income statement, I was pointing out how they are accounted for on the balance sheet. Take BB's advice and take a course.

P.S. If my comments about United and US Airways are invalid, then why do the United employees spend so much time on the US Airways forum? Why don't the United employees discuss their company on their forum? Why waste their time disputing my comments, if they're invalid?

:blink: We dispute your comments BECAUSE they are INVALID and lack intellectual depth. Why would we bother to dispute you comments if they actually had merit? Is this an example of the way you think?

One "minor" point. If Lackyfield had actually "shunned" UAL's ovitures, then wouldn't it follow that now that the Judge has opened up the bidding that UAL would be in front of your Judge making an offer? Or is it more likely that (again) you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

USA320Pilot said:
In my opinion, you public comments continue to paint you in a negative light and are child-like.

People who make the “smart-aleckâ€￾ and “antagonistic" comments are the one’s who are viewed poorly. Could it be as you grow closer-and-closer to mandatory retirement without the DB Plan your anger and bitterness is exponentially growing?

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="275031"][/post]​
\

You can NOT possibly be this stupid. HELLO.....anybody home??? Even your own colleagues view you this way.

AAviator said:
C'mon Skippy, a direct challenge.  Are you or are you not the Crystal palace court jester?
[post="275004"][/post]​
Show some courage! (hey, where did I hear that before?) When would now be a good time to admit it?

AAviator:

What are you talking about? By the way, thanks for copying my phrases because mimicking me is a great compliment.

In regard to courage, as a furloughee who asked me to send him daily emails so he could be updated on the company, when would now be a good time for you to get over your anger and bitterness and move on? A pilot furlough can be tough and I empathize with your situation, but there is much, much more to life.

Life is too short to harbor such ill feelings because it only hurts the person who keeps those thoughts. It's not healthy, man.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot Posted Today, 09:42 AM
AAviator:

What are you talking about? By the way, thanks for copying my phrases because mimicking me is a great compliment.

Did your mom tell you that when the boys made fun of you as a kid? :lol:

Fly:

Thanks for your another professional comments (not), again. Your decorum speaks volumes about your personality.

In regard to my colleagues and their view of me, I doubt many except the vocal "darksiders" agree with your colorful comment.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Pot meet Kettle:

USA320Pilot said:
I'm not going to continue with "mud slinging", emotional comments, or to try and discredit the messenger. If you choose to do so, so be it.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="266173"][/post]​

Us/boston said:
AA putting all the NW employees at the bottom of the seniority list. Now thats a show I would love to watch!
[post="274921"][/post]​
I don't think that the NW people would permit their unions to relinquish their labor protective provisions. Also NW is a solvent company with a great deal of cash and valuable assets. Airline mergers are very difficult but are a consequence of a capitalist system. If AA had to merge, they should have overspent buying NW instead of overspending on buying TWAs assets.

Todd B said:
Please avoid personal insults and return to discussing the original thread and not a particular poster.
[post="275087"][/post]​

Why is it is OK for a particular pilot / former guest columnist on this website to use personal insults, but for nobody else to?....

Someone asked why so many people from UA and AA post over here...

It's because this beats watching reruns of Jerry Springer....

USA320Pilot said:
BoeingBoy:

There you go again, with further attempts at misrepresentation. I know it’s tough on you since you were exposed and publicly embarrassed, especially when ALPA requested USaviation.com pull down your post that was made without ALPA knowledge or consent violating their trust. Thus, when would now be a good time for you to learn some decorum as you would say in “night classâ€.

Nonetheless, let me help you out. Stating a point that a person is disgruntled or antagonistic is not “mud slinging†or trying to discredit a person; it is simply stating an opinion.

Meanwhile, you continue to try to discredit me because I have been exposed you as a fraud. In my opinion, you public comments continue to paint you in a negative light and are child-like.

People who make the “smart-aleck†and “antagonistic" comments are the one’s who are viewed poorly. Could it be as you grow closer-and-closer to mandatory retirement without the DB Plan your anger and bitterness is exponentially growing?

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="275031"][/post]​
Kinda like this?

From the July 26, 2002 Charlotte Observer:

UNIONS CAN SINK US AIRWAYS
WITHOUT AGREEMENTS FROM ALL ITS UNIONS, AIRLINE'S FUTURE IS BLEAK
In recent days US Airways has made much progress toward ensuring that it will have a future. It has reached tentative contract restructuring agreements with its pilots, flight attendants and the Transport Workers Union, which represents the dispatchers, simulator engineers and flight crew training instructors, and with subsidiary PSA Airlines' pilots and flight attendants.

The International Association of Machinists (IAM) unit representing mechanics is close to a deal, and the IAM Fleet Service negotiators are making good progress.

But that's not enough.

The Communication Workers of America (CWA), which represents customer service and reservation agents, remains far from agreement with the company.
US Airways is on the brink of court-ordered bankruptcy because its situation is "unsustainable." Failure to improve the situation will have devastating effects on employees, customers and companies that depend on US Airways.

The airline has received a "conditional" federal loan guarantee approval, but can't use those funds unless it gets restructuring agreements with all labor groups, in accordance with the business plan submitted to the Air Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB).

Needed for loan guarantees

Major obstacles remain in the way of a voluntary restructuring.

US Airways may not be able to reach agreements with lenders without tentative agreements with the remaining unions. Unless it has those agreements the company wouldn't get final ATSB loan guarantee approval, government sources believe.

How bad is the situation? The carrier continues to burn cash during what is
historically the best-performing time of year. Ten months after Sept. 11, US
Airways has not resolved its cost problems, the economy remains sluggish,
revenue is off 20 percent and low-cost competitors are aggressivelyattacking its market share. The industry has not recovered as expected. Domestic fares are at 15-year lows. Shifts in buying patterns and travel options indicate airlines may never get the revenue per available seat mile they previously enjoyed.

Disturbing reports

US Airways needs restructuring agreements for either a voluntary restructuring or successful bankruptcy reorganization. If the company gets union concessions and qualifies for government financing, then if it's forced into bankruptcy, it probably could get in and out of bankruptcy quickly.

What's disturbing are reports that the CWA leadership is misleading its members. Last Friday, company negotiators asked the union to meet, to try and resolve their differences. The union said its negotiators couldn't meet, but its advisers would be available. However, I'm told that when management tried to schedule a meeting, they were told the advisers had other commitments. Meanwhile, the CWA issued a report telling its members the company met with the advisers last weekend - which management disputes.

Brinkmanship by any union could push the airline into bankruptcy. It's disappointing to see a relatively small group of employees risk the destruction of a viable company, with a devastating effect on 40,000 employees and their families.

No one can be sure what will happen in bankruptcy, but it's certain that if the company reorganizes and successfully comes out of bankruptcy, the labor groups that don't have tentative agreements with the company prior to bankruptcy will lose.

As in other union negotiations, the parties that reach savings targeted in the business plan will get a bankruptcy protection letter, which protects against even deeper salary and benefit cuts if the company enters bankruptcy.

Some may face pay cuts

If the company files for bankruptcy, workers in labor groups without that bankruptcy protection letter may face deep cuts in pay and benefits, loss of
unused sick and vacation time, slashed retirement benefits and a crash in the value of common stock in 401(k) accounts. In addition, they'll work for a smaller airline that will hand out layoff notices at once with no severance pay, and will pay members of unprotected unions significantly less.

Each day the company moves nearer bankruptcy. New chief executive officer
David Siegel has brought a breath of fresh air to management. US Airways'
best chance to survive is for unions and creditors to bet on him and his team. Employees wanting to keep their jobs must impress upon union rank-and-file employees the importance of ordering union leaders back to the bargaining table at once, to reach an agreement that is 85 percent of the targeted concessions.

The choice is simple: Either all stakeholders move past their anger, frustration and denial to obtain and ratify restructuring agreements, or the carrier will almost certainly enter bankruptcy.

History has shown only two major airlines have successfully restructured in bankruptcy - not good odds for this company to continue operation.

And ALPA's Response:

This is Roy Freundlich with US Airways an MEC update for Friday, July 26, with two new items:
Item 1. Today the Charlotte Observer published an anti-union editorial from one of our pilots, titled "Unions can Sink US Airways," that aggressively promotes management’s objectives on achieving concessions from other labor groups. The editorial goes so far as to suggest that the CWA union leadership, who represent customer service employees, is misleading their members on their negotiating activity, and implies that management’s side of a dispute is more accurate.

This editorial does not in any way represent ALPA’s position, understanding, or sentiment, on other unions and their sincere efforts to represent their members. ALPA has received no reports, nor would it assign any value to reports, that suggest that any union is misleading their membership. The pilot author of the editorial holds no union position in ALPA. The anti-union public statements from one of our pilot-ALPA members is regrettable.

We urge all pilots to contact their reps or the Comm Center for accurate updates on restructuring negotiations and the activity of other unions. We also request that all pilots refrain from promoting any management anti-union propaganda or chastise other employees in the media. There is little to be gained from such activity other than embarrassment for yourself, your fellow pilots, US Airways, and ALPA.

Mimic: to parody a person or mannerism, especially for satirical effect; to ridicule through satire

Satire: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, not mimicry.
Reality Check: No one is being complimentary. :shock:

The following courses would be highly recommended:

Social Skills & Human Interaction :unsure:
Introduction to Accounting Principles :blink:
Econ 101 :up:
Logic & Reasoning Skills :eek:
Predictions & Long Term Forcasting, aka: Why am I always so, so wrong? ;)
Knowing When to Fold 'Em (informed insider and expert guest speaker: Kenny Rogers) :p

Have a great weekend everyone!

Peace

Lark

USA320Pilot said:
I am certainly not a Marketing, Planning, and Revenue Accounting expert ...
No kidding?

USA320Pilot said:
The point is that passengers book their travel and pay their fee, but most of the time do not travel to some point in the future, which could be months away. Thus, the majority of the passengers flying this summer will have their revenue accounted for much earlier.
In general, this is true. But what you're overlooking is the fact that nearly all passengers pay for their airline travel by credit card and, under the best of circumstances, the airlines receive the cash for that booked travel 30 to 60 days later. So looking at the impact of this on a carrier's balance sheet, when a passenger buys a ticket with a credit card, the airline records the ticket price as a receivable from the credit card company (an asset) and as an air traffic liability for future travel (a liability). Only when a credit card company pays the ticket price to the airline does the asset change from a receivable to cash.

Thus, applying these facts to United, very little of United's $102 million increase in cash during April is attributable to people buying tickets in April for travel later in the year. Because of this delay in receiving cash from passenger ticket purchases, I believe that in the next few months we will see some fairly substantial increases in United's cash holdings.

USA320Pilot said:
Meanwhile, Continental reported its traffic and revenue results for May. The consolidated unit revenue rose by 8.5-9.5% and mainline unit revenue rose by 9-10% ...

The carrier indicated yield impact from recent fare hikes and better revenue management signals May will be the best RASM comp of the quarter for Continental and probably for the remainder of the year.

I doubt that Continental is alone in seeing solid revenue gains. April revenue was underwhelming, however, May seems to have marked a material improvement in industry revenue generation.
Given your comments above, combined with United's year-over-year passenger RASM increase of 7% in April (as mentioned in this United press release issued yesterday), wouldn't you agree that United should see some impressive revenue gains in the second quarter?

USA320Pilot said:
P.S. If my comments about United and US Airways are invalid, then why do the United employees spend so much time on the US Airways forum? Why don't the United employees discuss their company on their forum? Why waste their time disputing my comments, if they're invalid?
Because, more often than not, your comments ARE invalid. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? Or perhaps phrased more appropriately, when would now be a good time for you to understand this? While you might hope to have your comments remain unchallenged, even if they are in error, a number of us that read your posts (including some like myself that are NOT United employees) are going to continue to prevent that from happening.