US Airways Asks DOT for Six Reagan National Slots

ITRADE

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
[BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/20/2002 3:32:06 PM Biffeman wrote: [BR][BR]The slots are just for RJs not a 717 or dc9----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]AirTran flies CRJs (or AirTran Connection) does.

Assuming US offered somewhat reasonable fares, I think all three of these routes would work. For all three of these markets, DC is a top 5 or even top three O+D destination. Plus, there's always the connecting opportunities. [BR][BR]However, I agree with CluebyFour that Airtran will be the prime candidate. They can fly 3x daily to ATL and probably do well. The DOT has already said they will give preference to low-fare carriers or new-entrants.

US Airways Asks DOT for Six Reagan National Slots To Service Pensacola, Savannah and Mobile
Company to Operate 50-Seat Regional Jets on the Routes
ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways has filed an application with the U.S. Department of Transportation asking that six slot exemptions be allocated to US Airways to immediately begin daily nonstop service between Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and the cities of Pensacola, Fla., Mobile, Ala., and Savannah, Ga.
As evidenced by this application, we remain firmly committed to D.C. Metro area travelers. With this service, US Airways would provide the only nonstop service from the entire Metro area to Mobile and Pensacola, linking these communities in the eastern United States to the nation''s capital, said B. Ben Baldanza, US Airways senior vice president of marketing and planning. By adding nonstop flights to each of these cities, we will greatly expand the breadth and scope of our service at Reagan National.
US Airways proposes to operate one roundtrip flight each day using 50-seat regional jet aircraft, which are recognized as one of the quietest and popular regional aircraft in the industry.

Okay, Mobile I can understand (RSA, anyone?)

Pensacola and Savannah are interesting. If I was Airtran, I'd be passing the bible thru my colon and screaming for DCA slots over this.