US Airways Buying UA or CO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm not alone in that the results of this stuff determines whether I stay or go- if US Airways stays alone, look for a mass exodus of us "bottom feeders"- there'll be no point anymore.

What is the point that you're striving for that will evaporate if there is no merger? Are you looking for the big windfall in a merger? :lol: Here's the real world scenario, the economy is heading south and a merger is coming with the goal of reduction in capacity, and you're looking for something good out of this? Do I need to spell it out, the best you can hope for is stagnation in a new merger. The best option for US employees is to stay solo and pick up a percentage of the discarded capacity (NWA or UAL Airbuses) and slow grow while the mega carriers do a reduction.

What is the point that you're striving for that will evaporate if there is no merger? Are you looking for the big windfall in a merger? :lol: Here's the real world scenario, the economy is heading south and a merger is coming with the goal of reduction in capacity, and you're looking for something good out of this? Do I need to spell it out, the best you can hope for is stagnation in a new merger. The best option for US employees is to stay solo and pick up a percentage of the discarded capacity (NWA or UAL Airbuses) and slow grow while the mega carriers do a reduction.

And that's a good point. AA may also be sitting out this round, hoping to be a free-rider on the capacity reductions by NW/DL and UA/CO. Get the benefits of capacity reduction (maybe higher fares) without the merger spending and inevitable headaches of combining huge groups of employees.

You need not spell out anything for me, as you've never done anything that would make me want your opinion on my career or your industry advice.

I'm sure you are not really interested in myself and my friend's little F/A friends lives, but since you asked I'm game. Keep in mind this is from the perspective of a small group of flight attendants who have been either furloughed, MDA, or at the bottom of the seniority list for nearly a decade, and have not yet reached "A-scale" (the significant pay increase others recieved at the beginning of their sixth year).

- It's all about "seniority value". Think of it like a currency- it may go far in some places and be virtually worthless in others. As you know, seniority determines pay and quality of life. Our seniority at an unmerged US is literally equal to last month's new hire at any other major. Combined with HP, our seniority is equal to that of maybe a three year hire. Projected growth at US and HP/US (a few widebodies) does nothing for us and is not worth waiting around for. Our seniority has far greater weight and value in any other seniority list as unlike US, there is a wide variety of seniority levels, not to mention the sheer difference in scope as far as available flying and number of F/As. While consolidation will likely bring shrinkage and pprobably stagnation to any combined list, it's much better to be stagnated mid-level in a large entity than stagnated at the bottom of a small and precarious one. If that doesn't make sense to you, then you will likely not understand any of the following points either.

- Contract negotiations at a solo US will still be hijacked by the same small group who negotiate small-minded contracts that punish one group and favor the other. A larger consolidated group will likely negotiate a more traditional contract with quality of life spread a little more evenly. DOH applies in the most likely merger partners, and what is "junior" at US is mid-level elsewhere.

- We can't suffer any more paycuts because at 8 years, our pay is equal to two years at any other major. The only way is up in consolidation contracts. Even new hire pay at most majors is not far off from our current pay.

- None of us are planning our lives around Philadelphia, Charlotte, or Phoenix, and even top-out pay is not worth the life-sucking commute to schlep around in a dirty 737 for four days. We are not exactly seeing the world or presenting a product we are proud of here, and we sure are not treated as assets by our management or even our co-workers at times. While a merger won't change the latter, it would bring new bases and flying opportunities. Again, and most importantly, a combination with any other group (even HP) brings immediate value to our seniority, which is worthless at a solo US Airways. No one wants to work at US Airways period, but unlike most of our peers, we have nothing to lose but an easily recovered $1400 a month. Nothing keeping us except the possibility of seniority value in a combination. If it all somehow goes tits-up and our fate is similiar to that of the F/As of TWA, well, then all we lost was the equivalent of a new hire F/A job.

- I personally don't see any future for a standalone US Airways. It can't compete with the new megacarriers or LCCs, even if it were a quality, 'boutique' carrier, and certianly not as the messy circus it is now. The general feeling of my group is that our entire career here has been one of waiting- for a merger, displacement, furlough, recall, displacement, furlough, recall, displacement, return to base, merger, not to mention the impossibility of ever getting out of the bottom percentage of a constantly shrinking airline. There comes a time when enough is enough, and the finality of major consolidation between the legacy carriers seems like a pretty good indication of US Airways future. As an industry observer, I'd prefer to see a smaller, healthier airline industry with higher revenue and more stability for employees. Whether or not I'm part of that industry as a F/A or otherwise, does not depend on the fate of US Airways- trust me.

- We are not the generation of flight attendants who will be 'stuck behind a beverage cart' in the twilight of our lives due to misplaced loyalty and poor planning. US Airways has kept us wise by laying us off several times. We have savings, we have financial plans that do not revolve around a dodgy airline company. Some of us have other careers or businesses. Many of us are in school- much as some people think us reserves are laying about watching Judge Judy, many of us are using the gift of (somewhat) paid time off constructively. Again, nothing against our co-workers, but no big loss here.

That's OUR real world scenario. So merge away.

I bet you double park your sweet "Stang" in the employee lot.....
Actually, sold it 2 years ago right before we built our new house. New toy (BMW... Euro Delivery :up:) ordered and on the way!
But thanks for caring. :)

Now... back the program already in progress...

I agree. These things don't depend on our little world. Much as I think they are a joke, they banged two pieces of sh*t together and turned it into money, and they pretty much still are. I'm not sure the Delta debacle worked against him, in fact, it only went to show his ability to put together money to pull off such a deal.

I'm just ready for it to get going, see who does what, and see where the pieces lay. I know I'm not alone in that the results of this stuff determines whether I stay or go- if US Airways stays alone, look for a mass exodus of us "bottom feeders"- there'll be no point anymore.
Ding Ding baby, right on as usual.

Bottom line EMBFA, how have previous mergers and downturns in the economy affected you? and why do you think the merger "nirvana" coming up and the corresponding recession is any different than the past. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, look back on your illustrious career ...see any patterns? You might be better off buying a powerball tickets than banking on your lifestyle/compensation windfall from United Airlines or whomever.

Do you read responses, or are you just [edited by mod]?

Obviously you didn't read my post at all. I have nothing to lose regardless of what US Airways, United or Kellogg's Corn Flakes do, my life has not been set up that way, nor would it ever be. I'm not "banking" anything on a flight attendant career or an airline, hon, and certainly not compensation. If you are, I'm sorry.

My seniority at US Airways is like a bank account gaining interest every day they pay me to sit at home and pursue other interests. It might be worth something at some point, as it's respectable industry-wide, though not worth much at current US. So I'll hang on to it for now. At this point I could give or take my F/A job. If it doesn't amount to anything, I'll cash it out for an amazing set of memories, a fun Halloween costume, and an interesting resume item. It is by no means my only "currency" as far as my career or future is concerned. Not that you know anything of my career with US Airways or outside of it, but you are free to insult your presumption of it as you wish.

I'll be happy to answer your "bottom line" question, as to how the last merger affected me. I'm going to assume you're referring to my relative seniority position as a US F/A. Well, the last merger multiplied the amount of flight attendants under me X 15 and changed my status from furlough to active. Not bad. Again, the only way to gain seniority value at US Airways is via merger.

In my opinion, one that Wall Street, airline managment, consultants, and industry analysts share, consolidation will allow for a healthier industry able to weather downturns in the ecomony at least as well as other industries. It's my belief that involvement is good for US Airways and it's employees, and uninvolvement is at worst, the end, or at best a continued stuggle I'm not interested in sticking around for.

So again, merge, and merge away. I'm very curious to see how it will all pan out. Either way, F/A or not, I hope I can annoy you for years to come.

I think US buying CO or UA is very unlikely. But what about a merger between all 3 airlines? You could make 1 mega carrier, or as another option, take the 3 airlines and end up with two. The only question is which airline would be the one to go away? Probably a toss up between US and UA.

"Do you read responses, or are you just a douchebag? "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you are to much embfa.
She does get a little emotional at times, but it only expresses Her passion of the issues, and I love reading her posts. She is one of the FEW people that I would highly recommend for a Union Position........educated, insightful, not bullied and certainly no tolerance for BS. Her lengthy viewpoint is quite honestly, THE TRUTH whether you want to see/hear it. Her expose' of how "Junior" people feel and are treated is very credible too. While much of what She says is discouraging to say the least, her viewpoint speaks for the countless "bottomfeeders" than feel abandoned and misrepresented.

Do you read responses, or are you just a douchebag?

Obviously you didn't read my post at all. I have nothing to lose regardless of what US Airways, United or Kellogg's Corn Flakes do, my life has not been set up that way, nor would it ever be. I'm not "banking" anything on a flight attendant career or an airline, hon, and certainly not compensation. If you are, I'm sorry.

My seniority at US Airways is like a bank account gaining interest every day they pay me to sit at home and pursue other interests. It might be worth something at some point, as it's respectable industry-wide, though not worth much at current US. So I'll hang on to it for now. At this point I could give or take my F/A job. If it doesn't amount to anything, I'll cash it out for an amazing set of memories, a fun Halloween costume, and an interesting resume item. It is by no means my only "currency" as far as my career or future is concerned. Not that you know anything of my career with US Airways or outside of it, but you are free to insult your presumption of it as you wish.

I'll be happy to answer your "bottom line" question, as to how the last merger affected me. I'm going to assume you're referring to my relative seniority position as a US F/A. Well, the last merger multiplied the amount of flight attendants under me X 15 and changed my status from furlough to active. Not bad. Again, the only way to gain seniority value at US Airways is via merger.

In my opinion, one that Wall Street, airline managment, consultants, and industry analysts share, consolidation will allow for a healthier industry able to weather downturns in the ecomony at least as well as other industries. It's my belief that involvement is good for US Airways and it's company, and uninvolvement is at worst, the end, or at best a continued stuggle I'm not interested in sticking around for.

So again, merge, and merge away. I'm very curious to see how it will all pan out. Either way, F/A or not, I hope I can annoy you for years to come.

People that have nothing to lose say that... because they have nothing. You going on and on about mergers beacuse you are hoping for something you currently do not have. Your bank account gaining interest :lol: I bet you say "Daplane, Daplane" a lot since you're on Fantasy island.

serie_l-ile-fantastique_3_1141981765.jpg

Well, at least you answered MY question.

I have all I want, including the ability to add something to the conversation. Your post is neither interesting, informed, or insulting. Next!

People that have nothing to lose say that... because they have nothing. You going on and on about mergers beacuse you are hoping for something you currently do not have. Your bank account gaining interest :lol: I bet you say "Daplane, Daplane" a lot since you're on Fantasy island.

serie_l-ile-fantastique_3_1141981765.jpg

And you are embarrassing yourself as you obviously did not understand EMBFA's bank account analogy.

I bet........you will need to go look up the word analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.