US Airways Buying UA or CO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think US buying CO or UA is very unlikely. But what about a merger between all 3 airlines? You could make 1 mega carrier, or as another option, take the 3 airlines and end up with two. The only question is which airline would be the one to go away? Probably a toss up between US and UA.
Bingo! This is what IMHO is going to play out. I just do not think that US is going to sit this one out. On the other had, I look and what we have now at US. A huge national network. From one coast to another. The smart move would be to lease more widebodys and begin more service to Asia and SA. Just have to wait and see. The problem.....I have been waiting and seeing for way too long. Just too depressing.

A huge national network? It's the smallest of the legacies, and smaller than some LCCs. It's missing, well, the whole middle of the country, and is basically two unrelated coastal networks. None of the hubs are strong enough to support any real amount of transpacific or SA service.

I hear ya on the waiting, but like I said, I really think the year, even months ahead, hold the results. Depressing as it seems, it will be a relief to have the big picture in focus.

PHL can handle some serious transpacific traffic to places like Tokyo,Shanghai,Seoul and Bangkok and maybe Manila. All that is needed are the planes which they need to try HARDER to get and lease. Most Asian slots leave in the late morning. Using the gates in A shouldnt be a problem then.

Sadly i just dont see PHX as a transpacific player. The ID traffic just isnt there. LAS is another story. I dont what the gate story is there.

More steller comprehension on your part.

uh, you meant to miss spell stellar right? :lol:

Dictionary.com
Can I begin a sentence with a conjunction?

Many have tried to get writers of English to stop using coordinating conjunctions (e.g., and, but, for, nor, or, so, yet) to start sentences. Generally, coordinating conjunctions are used to join words, phrases, and clauses that are balanced as logical equals and are used to coordinate two independent clauses. Because coordinating conjunctions are used to hold together elements within a sentence, some teachers have discouraged their students from starting sentences with coordinating conjunctions. However, their real mission is to help their students learn to avoid sentence fragments like, "And smart, too." It is important to know that when you are writing in informal contexts and decide to start a sentence with a coordinating conjunction, you must be sure that what follows it is an independent clause, capable of standing alone as a sentence. In formal writing, it is best to avoid beginning any sentence with a conjunction.

It is important to know that when you are writing in informal contexts and decide to start a sentence with a coordinating conjunction, you must be sure that what follows it is an independent clause, capable of standing alone as a sentence.

sharonstoneseat said>

And you are embarrassing yourself as you obviously did not understand EMBFA's bank account analogy.

Standing alone>

You are embarrassing yourself as you obviously did not understand EMBFA's bank account analogy.

The sentence appears to be capable for the informal context in was written in.

By the way, while you were pointing out sharonstoneseat's misspelling, you made one of your own. Check out the word "misspell" while you are on dictionary.com. It's a single word, not two, and does not refer to a lady with the last name 'Spell.'

mis·spell /mɪsˈspɛl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mis-spel] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object), -spelled or -spelt, -spell·ing. to spell incorrectly.

sharonstoneseat said>

And you are embarrassing yourself as you obviously did not understand EMBFA's bank account analogy.

Standing alone>

You are embarrassing yourself as you obviously did not understand EMBFA's bank account analogy.

The sentence appears to be capable for the informal context in was written in.

By the way, while you were pointing out sharonstoneseat's misspelling, you made one of your own. Check out the word "misspell" while you are on dictionary.com. It's a single word, not two, and does not refer to a lady with the last name 'Spell.'

mis·spell /mɪsˈspɛl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mis-spel] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object), -spelled or -spelt, -spell·ing. to spell incorrectly.

Do you see this :lol: after my comment? I should have made it more obvious like misspellz.

Do you see this :lol: after my comment? I should have made it more obvious like misspellz.
Mercy jesus, give it up. The point is some of us aren't going to sit around on our A$$ and continue to let this place get the best of us if US continues as is. I said it before merger, fragmentation, or standalone it's time for this place to put up or shut up. Let people get on with their lives and put all of this pain and uncertainty to rest.

To me, this place is like someone you love dearly who has been sick for years with a terminal disease and just can't seem to get better, sure they have their good days which bring artificial hope, but then it's right back to the disease taking its course. You don't want them to die because you love them so much and they've brought so much happiness to your life but you know that they will never get better and that it's taken such a toll on them that you just want them to be at peace and for their pain to end. Kind of a sad and different way of looking at it but that's the only way I can seem to describe the situation to my family and the people who have watched this place take its toll on me over the years.

uh, you meant to miss spell stellar right? :lol:

Dictionary.com
Can I begin a sentence with a conjunction?

Many have tried to get writers of English to stop using coordinating conjunctions (e.g., and, but, for, nor, or, so, yet) to start sentences. Generally, coordinating conjunctions are used to join words, phrases, and clauses that are balanced as logical equals and are used to coordinate two independent clauses. Because coordinating conjunctions are used to hold together elements within a sentence, some teachers have discouraged their students from starting sentences with coordinating conjunctions. However, their real mission is to help their students learn to avoid sentence fragments like, "And smart, too." It is important to know that when you are writing in informal contexts and decide to start a sentence with a coordinating conjunction, you must be sure that what follows it is an independent clause, capable of standing alone as a sentence. In formal writing, it is best to avoid beginning any sentence with a conjunction.

Indeed I did because I thought you would ramble off into some fragmented, off topic segway to distract from your petty and incorrect reference to the clear and readable content contained in EMBFA's post.

And I was right

And I agree with USstew23 and will stop this childish exchange.

I think US buying CO or UA is very unlikely. But what about a merger between all 3 airlines? You could make 1 mega carrier, or as another option, take the 3 airlines and end up with two. The only question is which airline would be the one to go away? Probably a toss up between US and UA.

This was the conclusion of my rhetorical thread: "Liquidate PHL NOW" thread. But, you'd probably lose the LGA shuttle, in favor of a EWR shuttle and maybe lose PHX, too.

oh, wait... no, I think I was speculating about NW+CO+US-PHL-CLE-MEM.

More speculation...

Feb. 15, 2008, 1:45PM
Source: Continental talking merger with American
Delta-Northwest announcement expected next week; Continental-United talks continue

By BILL HENSEL JR. and BRETT CLANTON
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Continental Airlines is in talks not only with United Airlines but also with American Airlines, a person familiar with the situation told the Houston Chronicle today.

Meanwhile, talks are moving forward between Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines, with a merger announcement expected as soon as next week, another source with knowledge of that situation said. The timing of the announcement was expected to occur when Congress was not in session to minimize legislative backlash.

Such an announcement has been expected to trigger movement on a tie-up between United and Continental, but those carriers are not in the final stages of negotiations as reported, the person familiar with the situations said. Houston-based Continental and Chicago-based United have not even entered a confidentiality agreement, which would signal the carriers were in the late stages of a deal.

A spokeswoman for Continental declined comment today. Representatives for the other three carriers were not immediately available for comment.

Mark Adams, a Continental pilot who is communications chair for the local affiliate of the Air Line Pilots Association, said he thinks it would make sense for American to be interested in a deal.

"I don't think you can discount them," he said.

American's Chief Financial Officer Tom Horton recently said consolidation has the potential to create efficiencies, expand product offerings and benefit the industry and consumers.

"So we continue to assess the situation carefully and in the meantime we'll just keep on managing our business a prudently as we can," he said during a conference call to discuss the company's fourth quarter earnings.

But it is widely thought that American is already too large to win Justice Department approval for a merger.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Chronicle reporter Brad Hem contributed to this report.

Interesting...so now 5 of the 6 Legacy's are in merger talks. Makes you wonder if US is speaking to someone too.

Interesting...so now 5 of the 6 Legacy's are in merger talks. Makes you wonder if US is speaking to someone too.

Yes they are. With Olympic, the Greek Flag Carrier.
So they can cotinue to do things A-S backwards and not feel guilty about it.

Come K-Y with US.

Status
Not open for further replies.